Send Topic Print
Riding with Choke Out (Read 259 times)
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Riding with Choke Out
12/01/12 at 09:38:23

I usually let my bike warm up for a few minutes before taking off but there are days when I'm in a rush and need to get going quickly.  When that happens, I usually ride for at least 5 minutes with the choke out one click.

I think all this really means is that I'm running rich for that time but am I doing anything bad to the bike?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Riding with Choke Out
Reply #1 - 12/01/12 at 09:45:15

Noop...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 12/01/12 at 10:56:04

Serowbot wrote on 12/01/12 at 09:45:15:
Noop...

I agree.

The "choke" is not a choke.  It is a "mixture enrichment device" that does NOT choke off any air to the motor.  All it does is enrich the mixture at idle and very small throttle openings. Once you get past, say,... 1/4 throttle, it has no effect.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/01/12 at 11:17:07

5 minutes is not an issue, 30 would be.

and it's richer throughout the range.

WWW   IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #4 - 12/02/12 at 07:43:13

Verslagen wrote :

So the one click out on the choke enriches the mixture across the whole throttle range ?  From some the reading I have done on the site I was under the impression that it only adds up to ¼ throttle or so, like Gyro mentioned.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 12/02/12 at 10:10:57

verslagen1 wrote on 12/01/12 at 11:17:07:

But what if you lived in Alaska, and had an hour long work commute at -40F, would it then be permissible to leave the choke out?     Cool

I had a friend who used to be a farmer in Wisconsin.   He told me that they drained the coolant in the tractors during the winter because it was so cold the motors ran fine without it.   In other words, there was enough surface area on the head, block, and oil pan to dissipate the heat, plus it avoided freezing problems (popping freeze plugs, etc.).

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 12/02/12 at 20:21:21

Some of the old goats down here run kerosene in the cooling systems during the winter. It doesn't freeze and doesn't get hot enough to boil off. Hard freezes are ultra rare here, but I've picked up dozens of junkers that had been kerosened and left to rot. Perfect cooling systems... Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 12/03/12 at 00:13:39

The only downside to running with the choke out (or partially out) is very bad gas mileage, slightly doggy top end performance and a plug that would read rich if you pulled it.

One person did this on about the third Dragon Run for an entire tank of gas (which admittedly does not take all that terrible long when you are horsing around up in the mountains).  He just ran out of gas a lot earlier than the rest of us did.

Next section, he was back to peppy and he had zero effects from his little inadvertent experiment.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 12/07/12 at 20:54:53

Grayowl wrote on 12/02/12 at 07:43:13:
.....So the one click out on the choke enriches the mixture across the whole throttle range ?  From some the reading I have done on the site I was under the impression that it only adds up to ¼ throttle or so, like Gyro mentioned.

That is because the small amount of extra fuel added to the intake charge by the enrichener ("choke") represents a much greater percentage of the total fuel in said charge at low throttle angles than it does at large throttle angles.

Clear as mud?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #9 - 12/08/12 at 08:17:50

Digger - Thanks that actually made sense to me and I understand what you are saying with the higher percentages at smaller throttle angles.

I added a Dyno muffler to my bike and after getting the exhaust leaks stopped up, I found that the back fires quit completely with one click out on the enrichener ("choke").  So I guess my next stop is the idle mixture screw and possible jets to make the issue disappear.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 12/08/12 at 10:22:05

Grayowl wrote on 12/08/12 at 08:17:50:
Digger - Thanks that actually made sense to me and I understand what you are saying with the higher percentages at smaller throttle angles.

I added a Dyno muffler to my bike and after getting the exhaust leaks stopped up, I found that the back fires quit completely with one click out on the enrichener ("choke").  So I guess my next stop is the idle mixture screw and possible jets to make the issue disappear.

Interesting. My carb is still completly stock (2006). Not much backfiring when I'm riding, but it does pop pretty good when I shut it off. I'm gonna try pulling the choke out a bit and let it idle a few seconds before hitting the kill switch and see if that helps with the afterfireing.

I'm pretty happy with the way the bike runs so I'm reluctant to start fooling with the carb.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/08/12 at 10:38:17

The reason that pulling the choke out helps to make the pops and backfire disappear, is that you are making the mixture richer.  While this makes less noise - it might be making the mixure too rich.  Too rich of a mixture could carbon things up, decrease fuel mileage, promote cylinder wear if you are getting a lot of extra fuel in the mix.

Jet the carb so the engine runs smooth and gets good mileage - don't mistake and engine that is quiet as the best running.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 12/08/12 at 10:54:10

Dave wrote on 12/08/12 at 10:38:17:
The reason that pulling the choke out helps to make the pops and backfire disappear, is that you are making the mixture richer.  While this makes less noise - it might be making the mixure too rich.  Too rich of a mixture could carbon things up, decrease fuel mileage, promote cylinder wear if you are getting a lot of extra fuel in the mix.

Jet the carb so the engine runs smooth and gets good mileage - don't mistake and engine that is quiet as the best running.  

Yup, Understand that. I'm only going to pull out the choke for a few seconds before shutting off. Not going to run like that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding with Choke Out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.