Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Handlebars (Read 205 times)
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Handlebars
11/21/12 at 15:20:29

My 2012 S40 has the stock slightly pulled back handlebars and I am wondering what kind of more pulled back handlebars would work without having to get new cables?

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Handlebars
Reply #1 - 11/21/12 at 15:32:49

Would you be interested in trading?  I've got an '01 with stock pull backs.  I'll post some pics if you're interested.

Any particular reason you want pull-backs?  I, personally, feel a little cramped on them.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/21/12 at 16:19:52

HondaLavis wrote on 11/21/12 at 15:32:49:
Would you be interested in trading?  I've got an '01 with stock pull backs.  I'll post some pics if you're interested.

Any particular reason you want pull-backs?  I, personally, feel a little cramped on them.

I plan to eventually turn it into a Trike. It will be easier to turn with pull back bars. How far back do they go and can I use the original cables? I'd like to see a picture.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 11/21/12 at 17:22:49

These are the best existing photo's I have.  I can take more when the sun comes back, if you need.  With the tape measure perpendicular to the mounting area, the bars come back 11" whereas the bars measure approximately 13-14" from the bend back.

P.S. Kuryakyn grips NOT included!!

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #4 - 11/21/12 at 17:41:43

HondaLavis wrote on 11/21/12 at 17:22:49:
These are the best existing photo's I have.  I can take more when the sun comes back, if you need.  With the tape measure perpendicular to the mounting area, the bars come back 11" whereas the bars measure approximately 13-14" from the bend back.

P.S. Kuryakyn grips NOT included!!

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/Lavis325CL/20120927_131033.jpg

Let me think about it tonight and I'll reply tomorrow morning. I am not sure I can use the same cables on them.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/Lavis325CL/20120927_131021.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/Lavis325CL/20120927_130852.jpg

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 11/21/12 at 17:45:50

Since it's stock, they SHOULD be the same.  I'm going to check some parts diagrams, cross reference some numbers, and get back to you.

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #6 - 11/21/12 at 18:16:10

HondaLavis wrote on 11/21/12 at 17:45:50:
Since it's stock, they SHOULD be the same.  I'm going to check some parts diagrams, cross reference some numbers, and get back to you.

I think the difference may be mine has risers. I will have to look at it better in the morning.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 11/21/12 at 18:51:56

Yeah, I see that.  I checked the part numbers, and they are different.  If anything, I would think that your cables are a bit longer. That would give you more room and free play.  If anybody needs different cables, it would probably be me needing longer ones.  As you said, check it out in the morning.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/21/12 at 18:54:39

The bars and risers should trade over with no problems.
the drag bar cables are a little shorter than the buckhorn cables.
shouldn't be an issue as a few have done this before.

WWW   IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #9 - 11/22/12 at 05:02:53

HondaLavis wrote on 11/21/12 at 18:51:56:
Yeah, I see that.  I checked the part numbers, and they are different.  If anything, I would think that your cables are a bit longer. That would give you more room and free play.  If anybody needs different cables, it would probably be me needing longer ones.  As you said, check it out in the morning.

I do have one problem: It is the fact that I have to park my bike in the rear corner of the garage to get both our cars in the garage. Therefor I need to have handlebars to do that. I don't leave vehicles outside at night. I would need your handlebars first. I could take everything off up to the point of removing the risers and bars and send a picture if you like. Also I remember having to cut the grip off of the throttle side when I did my Yamaha 650. Is it the same on this one? I am sure they will transfer fine as verslagen1 has said. I will just have to get new grips I believe.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #10 - 11/22/12 at 08:33:42

I don't think the grips should be an issue.  Were you planning on leaving the controls on there??  I thought we'd keep our own controls and only swap bars.  That way you could leave your throttle grip on the tube and just install your tube and switch housing on my handlebars - completely eliminating that issue.

Let me know what you think.

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #11 - 11/22/12 at 08:46:12

HondaLavis wrote on 11/22/12 at 08:33:42:
I don't think the grips should be an issue.  Were you planning on leaving the controls on there??  I thought we'd keep our own controls and only swap bars.  That way you could leave your throttle grip on the tube and just install your tube and switch housing on my handlebars - completely eliminating that issue.

Let me know what you think.

Yes, I plan to keep the controls and just swap the bars and the risers. If I can still use the grips I have I'm fine with it. Have not tried doing handlebars on a Suzuki. Whenever you want to send them is fine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/22/12 at 08:46:20

Yes, the controls come off easily, no need to take the throttle grip off.
But you'll need to take off the clutch side.

WWW   IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #13 - 11/22/12 at 08:56:20

verslagen1 wrote on 11/22/12 at 08:46:20:
Yes, the controls come off easily, no need to take the throttle grip off.
But you'll need to take off the clutch side.

OK Let's do it. Like I said though, I would need your bars first. If you don't mind that is. I can start on mine tomorrow. I have to go to a Thanksgiving dinner soon.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #14 - 11/22/12 at 09:10:22

I have to clean and re-organize my garage so that I can put the bike somewhere and leave it.  I'll be able to get the bars out on Saturday.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!   Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 16:54:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.