Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb jet replacement...Worked like a charm (Read 149 times)
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb jet replacement...Worked like a charm
11/06/12 at 18:58:21

I re-jetted my carb with a 150 main and left the stock 52.5 pilot..replace the plastic washer with three small metal washers and used 1 and a 1/2 turns on the air fuel screw...ran perfect...no back fire on the first test run...I have an open exhaust...did have a bit of trouble getting the screws out...had to extract two...had to used a cut wheel to make one of the screws a flat head...replaced all with allen head...here are the pics...

Take these two screws out to remove the rod and plastic washer...this is what makes the backfiring stop...

you have to drill out the brass plug to get to the air fuel screw...was not fun at all...

job is never done without a little blood...

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Carb jet replacement...Worked like a charm
Reply #1 - 11/06/12 at 19:31:18

Silly question, did someone post a thread about Japanese and US phillips type screws needing different screwdrivers?

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/06/12 at 19:39:27

I don't know...but I could not get them out for nothing and my bike is a 2011...I wish I would have thought to use the cut wheel to make into a flat before I spent so much time drilling and extracting and spending $4 at ace for an extractor that broke...But hey I got it...so lesson learned for everyone out there...use a cut wheel on your grinder...cut into a flat head and go to ace and purchase 4 new bolts with allen heads...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 11/06/12 at 20:39:01

It's been mentioned a few times here and there but not in a thread by itself.  The screws are JIS standard unlike most of the Phillips screws we are used to here in the states. I have found if you take a cheap #2 Phillips screw driver and grind the end down some to make it less pointy on the end it fits much better.  Another option if your an avid firearms person is to use a good quality gun tool kit that has a wide variety of screw driver bits and you will find one that fits them perfectly.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/06/12 at 20:54:06

Those two tiny screws down in the slide tube... are the most terrifying screws on the bike...
Booger those and yer' toast... Grin...

Now, get the dog to clean up that boo-boo... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #5 - 11/06/12 at 21:09:21

Great pics. Glad your re-jet worked. I have a set of screw drivers that are made for japenese phillips heads- they came from my dads collection so I don't know where he got them from tho.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 11/06/12 at 21:38:08

You can buy JIS screw drivers off of amazon.  Not sure if they would have helped for the screws on the top of the carb; they are WAY soft.  I had to cut slots in mine, too.  Those were also replaced with allen screws.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/06/12 at 22:37:50

Ive had real good results with grinding the tip of a #2 Phillips.

An impact with a screwdriver head is a dandy item. Just turn the air control valve down,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #8 - 11/07/12 at 03:40:06

awesome pics!!!

i rejetted mine while it was on the bike still.  went with 150 / 52.5 (stock).  dyna muffler.  stock air filter.  i also shaved my white spacer down roughly 1/3rd with a grinder using some pliers as a guide marker (stop grinding when it hits the pliers!).  

i still get some backfire and shift pops, but it seems to be a lot less.  i have MUCH better throttle response now though!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 11/07/12 at 03:53:38

A technique taught to me by an old A & P is to use a punch for little screws that are likely to be stuck in place and have phillips or JIS heads wanting to be stripped.

Use a flat face punch or drift to tap the screw head laterally back and forth until you can see it move just a tiny bit.  Once you do that, you have broken most of the bond the screw has to its surroundings.  Go easy.  Once I learned this trick I never ruined another carb screw.

In the pics below I was using a small hammer to lightly tap the head of the screw sideways from one side and then the other using that flat face punch.  These particular screws took maybe 10-15 taps before they started to move.  The lateral movement will be only a few hundredths of an inch,.. just barely perceptible.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 11/07/12 at 06:31:23

Serowbot wrote on 11/06/12 at 20:54:06:
Those two tiny screws down in the slide tube... are the most terrifying screws on the bike...
Booger those and yer' toast... Grin...

Now, get the dog to clean up that boo-boo... Huh...

^^+1 on that
I screwed (no pun intended) one of mine up and just barely got it out...I then replaced them with 2 little screws that they use to hold hard drives in PC's...perfect fit!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #11 - 11/07/12 at 09:15:14

excellent work! cool picture! but before you make the cuts the Phillips screws  for a regular screwdriver, we could try to apply bat for Phillips screws and gently shake through the not very heavy hammer on a bit . I have on my savage 95 happened.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 11:44:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb jet replacement...Worked like a charm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.