My old bike and I are unconcerned
I'm aware -- I watch my petcock
Mine has stumbled, but still waiting
Raptored, my bike heavily modified
Took my vac unit off proactively

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 11/06/12 at 09:01:49 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again) (Read 475 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)
11/05/12 at 15:57:44

Petcock Paranoia

We use this term all the time here on the list, and I am really beginning to think it means different things to different people.

I will give you a real world but it didn't really actually happened quite this way situation and you explain your definition of "petcock paranoia" in light of this actual real world situation.

==============

V is running happily down a six lane expressway on his Savage with a 3/4 full tank of gas and he is actually busy passing a car when he gets the signal from his vac petcock that it is not going to give him enough gas to complete that maneuver safely, so he falls back and attempts to get into Prime while angling over behind that car to move over towards the right hand lane to get off the road if he has to.

Traffic cuts him off however and he successfully makes it into Prime but the gas isn't flowing yet and indeed he sputters on for a bit before he loses all power in a full vac petcock shut off scenario.

Cars are screeching their brakes and blowing their horns at him, all the way from lane to lane but he makes it safely over to the shoulder of the road and is idling his way down to a stop when in the right hand lane a guy in a big Ford pickup who is four cars back decides he doesn't want to rear end into the guy who is third back who just slammed on his brakes because he wasn't paying attention and just woke up to the fact that he needed to slow down.

Mr. Ford does him an instantaneous "dive into the ditch" right hand pass maneuver "off the road onto the shoulder" to avoiding rear ending the line of cars up in front of him.  However he does not see V who is idling down to a stop on the shoulder up in front of him until he sees him popping up over his grill.

V gets blasted forward like a hockey puck at goalie time ....

By your definition of the term Petcock Paranoia -- who should be paranoid, who actually IS paranoid and are any of these folks justified in their paranoia?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)
Reply #1 - 11/05/12 at 16:35:04

Paranoia, according to Webster ( No, not the guy with the big ears & glasses & goofy grin) is fear, not based in reason. Considering the importance of the petcock & its apparent built in suicidal nature, not trusting it to "stand & deliver" ( with Deliver being the real issue), is hardly unjustified worry, therefore , it isnt, by definition, paranoia. IMO, paranoia, in this instance, is simply a word used to diminish the people who have taken the time to study the issue & evaluate it, critically.,
Just as " Conspiracy Theorist" is used to diminish people who have studied the way things are versus the way we are told they are, using critical thinking.
If someone believes the vacsucker is a good, dependable & trustworthy piece of equipment, Okay, good, believe as you please, but to attack those who dont & try to be condescending & belittle them, calling them paranoid, may just cause someone to fail to listen, & create a "V" moment for one of them one day.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/05/12 at 17:05:54

So, Justin, from polling the list we all KNOW that at about a 50% acceptance level that they really ARE out to get you, so you aren't really being paranoid about your vac petcock, just justifiably cautious.

BUT, just suppose ....

Suppose you personally had already had a few very mild petcock starvation events before and you actually intellectually kinda knew what they really were from reading all about them.   But you didn't like it very much and you chose not to do or to even think anything more about it ....  

Passive denial, in other words.

How do folks like that define "Petcock Paranoia" when they use the term?   Is it something associated in any way with them, or only with "them other guys"?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 11/05/12 at 17:08:56

"I am secretly afraid of my petcock"?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/05/12 at 17:34:59

Here we are, gotta have a paranoia poll if you are going to have a paranoia war.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 11/05/12 at 17:40:59

You guys are getting way too intelectual fer this ole country boy! All I know is what I know, and that is that my '96 has almost 14,000 miles(5500+ of those put on by me since June of this year) and I have yet to feel the sting of the nefarious "vac-sucker". Am I just lucky or the proud owner of a "special" non defective "vac-sucker? Who knows?

I will admit to my own bouts of paranoia at times,but that's reserved for the political houdulams! I'm not about to bad-mouth anybody else for their demons!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 11/05/12 at 17:46:10

OK, ZAR you know about it and are keeping a weather eye out but as yet have not had any symptoms.

You are not paranoid, just aware.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/05/12 at 17:51:19

So, Zar is awaranoid?

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 11/05/12 at 17:56:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/05/12 at 17:51:19:
So, Zar is awaranoid?

Shocked  Shocked  Cheesy  Yep! That'd be me JOG! My motto is "don't dare to be different...just do it"...be different that is  Wink.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 11/05/12 at 18:05:52

Well I Raptored mine not only to get rid of the possible vac petcock issue before it came about, but mainly for 2 reasons, Tank removal and also plans on heavily modifying the bike.  The biggest reason of course is the tank removal for now as with the stock vac petcock it's a pregnant dog to get the tack off with that thing on there,  with the Raptor petcock on there the tank comes off oh so much easier.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 11/05/12 at 18:11:11

rfw2003 wrote on 11/05/12 at 18:05:52:
Well I Raptored mine not only to get rid of the possible vac petcock issue before it came about, but mainly for 2 reasons, Tank removal and also plans on heavily modifying the bike.  The biggest reason of course is the tank removal for now as with the stock vac petcock it's a pregnant dog to get the tack off with that thing on there,  with the Raptor petcock on there the tank comes off oh so much easier.

R.F.

RF that's the one excuse I could use for spending the $$ for a raptor. Getting the tank off with the stock "vac-sucker" is like trying to get a kiss from "  Angry she who must be obeyed" after a "short ride" turned into an "all-day road trip" Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/05/12 at 18:25:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/05/12 at 17:08:56:
"I am secretly afraid of my petcock"?

I am openly afraid of your petCOCK   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/05/12 at 18:56:14

& You, sir, are a very wise man..

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 11/05/12 at 18:57:53

I've actually had a handful of experiences that shared the same base line as OF's scenario: It wouldn't deliver enough gas.  They would always be on long trips.  If I did 85+ for more than 10 seconds, I'd get that sputter, have to pull over, prime it for a bit...  I'd also had some intermittent problems driving through town where it would sputter and die for no apparent reason.  Switching it to prime would fix it, then eventually I could flop it back to run and it would be fine.  So, of course, I raptored it.  Haven't looked back!

JOG couldn't have said it any better.  It's NOT paranoia, as our caution is based in fact and experience.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #14 - 11/05/12 at 19:26:14

Mine showed up in the mail today... if I had a gas can to drain my tank I would have put it on already.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:21:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.