Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 q's..  Can it get wet?  & How long should i wait (Read 115 times)
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2 q's..  Can it get wet?  & How long should i wait
11/17/12 at 15:45:14

First questions is Can it get wet. My bike needs a bath and I just changed the oil for the first time so the oil went everywhere cause I didnt know what I was doing so it needs a wash.  Is there any place on the bike that I should not point the spray nossle directly at??  IE. Any visable electral wires, at the air box, wtv.    

Second question is How long should I wait.  And this refers to the dreaded head cap plug seal son of a gun.  After the wash, I plan on taking any leaked oil residue away and ride it for an hour or so and see how much it leaks over a period of an hour. If it isnt much, Im not giong to change it. If i get drips on my jeans, I will consider trying to fix it. But how long should I wait to fix it, or am i able to just keep cleaning it after every ride and constantly check oil levels??  

Just got my license yesterday so im very excited to get these answers and take my first ride!!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 2 q's..  Can it get wet?  & How long should i
Reply #1 - 11/17/12 at 15:49:56

Mostly avoid spraying up under the seat and tank...
The leak can go on until it pisses you off so much you decide to fix it...
Just don't run out of oil... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 11/17/12 at 17:34:02

Don't spray a pressure washer at the wheel bearings. This bike doesn't have a chain, so you don't have to watch out for that. Remember motorcycles will run in the rain and on wet roads, so you don't have to worry too much about getting it wet.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/17/12 at 17:36:04

My bike has been converted so I do have a chain.   But I will take that into consideration.  Thank you all

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 11/17/12 at 17:39:10

Don't spray the chain with the pressure washer, as it will remove the lubricant. It can also force detergent past the O-rings and contaminate the internal lube, which is the reason for not spraying wheel bearings.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/17/12 at 17:59:34

Auto wash from a car parts store, dish soap is not good, 5 gallon bucket, some rags, various brushes, water hose..
Youll learn what to be careful of, as you wash it by hand. I finally took mine to the car wash after I had done it a few times at home,
Every caution above is important.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 11/17/12 at 18:48:12

In addition to the above cautions, don't blast any water into the handlebar switch housings.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/18/12 at 06:21:35

I also believe that after washing and drying by hand,  the bike needs to sit out in the sun and wind, or go for a ride and dry things out.  Water will get into little places that will take forever to dry if you park it in the garage after washing.....and that moisture will be corroding or rusting things until the moisture eventually goes away.

After washing I first take my leaf blower and give the bike a good long blast of air from al angles, then I use a towel to dry everything I can reach.....then for a ride or park it in the sun for a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Re: 2 q's..  Can it get wet?  & How long shoul
Reply #8 - 11/18/12 at 13:24:04

The first time I washed mine I rode it shortly after and when I parked it I heard a boiling sound coming from the engine.  I was concerned, I thought the Oil was boiling out.  As it turned out there was a pool of water on the top of the engine.  The water was boiling off .....not a big deal, but I was concerned for a moment there.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:25:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2 q's..  Can it get wet?  & How long should i wait

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.