My old bike and I are unconcerned
I'm aware -- I watch my petcock
Mine has stumbled, but still waiting
Raptored, my bike heavily modified
Took my vac unit off proactively

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 11/06/12 at 09:01:49 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again) (Read 475 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)
Reply #30 - 11/06/12 at 18:26:50

ColoS40Girl wrote on 11/06/12 at 16:12:51:
How about New Raptor on stock bike.  Otherwise,  None of the above!

Nope, you are right.  

You would need a special class called "Suzuki dealer admits stock vac petcock is not up to the job, replaces with Raptor."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #31 - 11/06/12 at 21:04:39

Just seems like a mute point to me IMHO. If it ain't brock don't fix it. If it is- then by all means spend the $20 & change it out... If you can't sleep because something "might happen" then change it. But if I "fixed" my bike keeping in mind everything that might happen- then I'd spend hundreds of dollars a month on stuff I don't necessarly need (brakes, tires, battery etc.)  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 11/07/12 at 03:33:27

In essence, this thread is a self-examination of what you think about the vac petcock, in retrospect knowing what you know now.

It has been what, three (3) years now since Serowbot posted the "How to test your Petcock" which started off the 3 years of "Petcock Wars" of which there have been about 6 or 8 in total, each jumping up to discuss a pertinent new bit of vac petcock knowledge as it became available.

Serowbot and I were about alone then, with everyone telling us we'd fill our sumps up with gasoline by using them primitive mechanical petcocks.

That really was what folks thought back then .....

"Raptor putting gas into the sump" has (so far) never happened, although I will always keep looking for the very first one because logically it should happen, eventually.  

Vac Petcock failure modes started out as two (2) but is now up to five (5) as people have discussed poor running and stalling issues down to the point they have shown us three new ways for a vacksucker to show it's arse in normal use.

We have seen multiple gas in sump episodes from the vac petcock and many many failures and stalled bikes and upset people.  ColoS40Girl just broke some new ground when a Suzuki dealership replaced her vacsucker with a Raptor under warranty as a warranty repair.

And the percentage of believers went from 33% at the end of the first year to 55% the second year to (on this last poll) the percent of believers is currently right at 85% (33 out of 39 responding)

And our response to newbie help requests has picked up Serowbot's test as the Number 1 thing a newbie needs to immediately do to separate out his vacsucker issues from his other remaining issues.

And, right now the vacsucker is running at 4 to one as the root cause of most newbie reported "poor running" issues.

So, what you believe is still changing year on year.

Wink

I wonder what next year will be like?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 11/07/12 at 04:29:15

07s40scotty wrote on 11/06/12 at 21:04:39:
Just seems like a mute point to me IMHO. If it ain't brock don't fix it. ... Smiley

Mute point?  Brock?  Don't fix it?  hmmm

I agree, you don't need to replace everything that might break at some point in the future.  What you DO need to do, though, is take advantage of lessons learned by those wiser and more experienced, hopefully saving you from spending a semester in the school of hard knocks.

I have owned and operated many bikes,.. a few hundred thousand miles altogether since the early 1960's.  
-- The first several had manual petcocks like the Raptor petcock.  No failures there.  
-- The rest had a vacuum operated petcock.  No failures there except for one time the vacuum line from the carb developed a leak and let the diaphragm close the petcock.  Silly me, I spent way too much time along the side of the road trying to figure out what was wrong before it donned on me to move the lever to PRI.  So the petcock didn't fail; it worked perfectly.

That said, I replaced the petcocks on both bikes in the Double RYCA build with Raptor petcocks simply because I didn't want to spend another semester in the school of hard knocks.  While I have never had a vacuum operated petcock fail on any motorcycle, the long-term experts here have taken the trouble to let the rest of us know of a peculiar problem with this Suzuki part.  Highly valuable info.  I consider this almost as important as the chain tensioner mod, by the way.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 11/16/12 at 16:07:45

bump, in case anybody needs it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 11/18/12 at 06:15:24

bump, again if anybody needs it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:16:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.