My old bike and I are unconcerned
I'm aware -- I watch my petcock
Mine has stumbled, but still waiting
Raptored, my bike heavily modified
Took my vac unit off proactively

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 11/06/12 at 09:01:49 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again) (Read 475 times)
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Re: Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)
Reply #15 - 11/05/12 at 19:54:55

I dont know, tough poll. I'd pick the first option in your poll IF you added "for ME" to the end. It's basically the same bike new or old with some minor changes thru the years. My bikes newish (07), but has more miles than some twice its age    (16,000mi.) I haven't had any petcock issues. My friend two streets down has a 97 with 7,500 mi- he hasn't had any problems either... but the guy we see at the bar once in awhile with a 2010 (2,000 mi I think) thinks he might because it coughs & sputters for no apparent reason once in awhile -So I mentioned the Raptor to him. Do any of us have petcock problems? Maybe, maybe not...We all have the same basic bike for sure tho.  Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 11/06/12 at 04:36:48

There are many that had what seemed like fuel delivery problems at slower speeds....in town, or at 50 mph, but yet had no problems at hi speed, but couldn't hardly wait to get home to "Raptorize", are suffering from "PETCOCK PARANOIA"
Many here do not know that manifold vacuum is much more abundant at idle and low speed than it is at hi speed, so therefore if manifold vacuum supply was the problem w/ fuel delivery, it would first show up at highest speeds. These are the same group that think changing a fuel filter is going to cure a low speed or idle problem.
And many really did fix all their problems by "Raptorizing", till the next time they rode that is. But how many admit this,...10% ?? maybe 50%  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/06/12 at 04:56:44

07s40scotty wrote on 11/05/12 at 19:54:55:
I dont know, tough poll. I'd pick the first option in your poll IF you added "for ME" to the end. It's basically the same bike new or old with some minor changes thru the years. My bikes newish (07), but has more miles than some twice its age    (16,000mi.) I haven't had any petcock issues. My friend two streets down has a 97 with 7,500 mi- he hasn't had any problems either... but the guy we see at the bar once in awhile with a 2010 (2,000 mi I think) thinks he might because it coughs & sputters for no apparent reason once in awhile -So I mentioned the Raptor to him. Do any of us have petcock problems? Maybe, maybe not...We all have the same basic bike for sure tho.  Grin

I agree w/  the "for me" part.

There is no catagory for my vote

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 11/06/12 at 09:00:40

Expound on that a bit, Routy.    If petcock fail doesn't exist for you (and you and Scotty seem to want to make that careful distinction) who does it exist for?

And once you tell us what group this is, are they paranoid for looking out for it?

BTW, I fixed the category for you and Scotty so you can vote now

======================================

Now, Scotty and Routy have brought up a Mental Mindset or Viewpoint that says "for me, there is no issue -- I need a separate classification".

This implies a different world view on the subject of petcocks, failures, etc.   They also carefully insist on a different wording that keeps them separate from "the others" as any broad general definition is too confining.  They can feel comfortable saying there is no petcock problem, for them.

Anybody got any comment on this mindset?

Cheesy  Routy used to be blunter, he'd tell Serowbot and I that  we were deluded .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 11/06/12 at 10:39:02

I didn't fill out the survey because the vac petcock does not affect me...
I have a raptor on it because it sputtered and died in the mornings...replaced the petcock...now it doesn't

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 11/06/12 at 10:50:45

Bubba, do you feel you were driven by any form of paranoia?

Were you deluded or influenced in any way by others here on the list (specifically me or Serowbot?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 11/06/12 at 11:15:23

I took mine off.........mostly as preventative maintenance and a desire to be able to take the tank off without having to drain it and remove the stock Vacsucker.  The auto petcock is a nice feature......but I am old school and actually had to teach myself not to reach down to shut the petcock off after riding.

I was not paranoid about the petcock.  Well.......not any more than I am about the kickststand safety switch.....or the clutch safety switch.....or the cam chain tensioner........or the head plug......or the oil level.....or the ZDDP in my oil.  Except for those worries....I pretty much enjoy my ride.  Oh.....I almost forgot....I also worry about deer and cars.....and trucks!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 11/06/12 at 11:41:07

Speaking about them deer and bear, are you planning to go back up to the mountains next year?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 11/06/12 at 11:46:23

OF,
I wasn't really paranoid...just irritated...when I bought the bike a few years ago I was the third owner...the guy I bought from seemed nice enough but you just never know...
anyway, I knew about this forum, did some digging around for stuttering problems and figured what they hey??? I'd only be out 20 bucks or so...I tried the raptor, it worked...I'm pleased
Honestly, shutting it off is something I would do with the stock one anyway so why not eliminate the possibility...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 11/06/12 at 13:57:42

this is the single most discussed, $20 issue I've ever seen.

your favorite service agent won't even hum the star spangled banner for that much.

Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 11/06/12 at 14:00:59

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/06/12 at 11:41:07:
Speaking about them deer and bear, are you planning to go back up to the mountains next year?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Dragon ride.....and can't help but think how much better it would be without all the knocking from my engine now that it is healed.  I am planning on making the trip next summer.  It may have been pretty hot that week....but I do prefer heat to rain (although either one is effective at keeping the Sport Bikers away).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #26 - 11/06/12 at 14:34:21

For me, Petcock Paranoia is the feeling I get any time that there is a problem with the bike. "It's the petcock!" Then I check it, and it turns out to be something else. I'm planning on changing it so that I stop feeling that way everytime something odd happens.

IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/06/12 at 16:12:51

How about New Raptor on stock bike.  Otherwise,  None of the above!

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #28 - 11/06/12 at 18:15:41

It happened to me today! I was on the highway doing over 60 for a good while and at one point it started to sputter, i tried to keep it going but i had to pull to the side, it shut off completely while i held in the clutch coasting to a stop. I wasnt going up a hill and i had at least 3/4 tank so i knew it had to be the petcock based on what i read here.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 11/06/12 at 18:24:32

Trini,  

Do you feel that knowing about the petcock being the likely cause of your issue has caused you any mental distress?

And were you in any way paranoid about it earlier today?   Did you worry about the big black Ford truck any?

Did you know the story about the hockey puck smackin' Big Black Ford Truck running up the shoulder of the road was mostly 100% true?

(to get it all the way to 100% Verslagen will have to correct my feeble old memory some, but that's OK -- I need a little help every once and a while)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:28:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock Paranoia    (petcock war again)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.