Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Adapting to a heavier bike? (Read 526 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Adapting to a heavier bike?
Reply #30 - 11/12/12 at 19:45:17

Hey guys...well, I think I found a pretty nice M50 at a really great price.  It's a 2007 M50 Limited Edition in silver with dark grey flames.  The mileage is a little high (about 20K), but from everything I can tell the owner has taken very good care of it...he bought it new, it's been kept inside, all maintenance done, etc.  The only cosmetic flaws are a little boot rash on the blacked-out crankcase, and a small scrape on the gas tank.  I've given it a test ride, and it started, ran, accelerated, braked, and rode just like the one that had only 8000 miles on it...I can't tell any difference, except the price!  Wink  I've let the owner know that I'll take it, and we'll complete the deal sometime later this week (it's about 2 hours away).  This M50 is a REALLY comfortable ride...it's wide, with a big comfy seat, the controls are comfortably forward, and it just doesn't feel like a 550 lb bike.  It feels like it fits me so well ergonomically that I could ride comfortably all day (we'll see if that's actually the case, I suppose).  I believe I'm making a pretty good choice here.  Cool

Now, the bad news...I was planning to keep the S40 in the "family" for my lady friend...but in talking about it, what she really wants is a trike...she feels like it'll be easier and safer for her, and well, maybe she's right.  So, I posted the S40 on my local Craigslist for a fair price.    Sad

But then some more good news...it already sold...within 2 hours of posting it, in fact.  Shocked  Within 15 minutes, I had 3 txt's inquiring about it.  This one fella contacted me about the GZ250 that I just sold for my lady friend, but I pointed him to the S40.  He and his wife came over to give it a look and ride it around my cul-de-sac.   We agreed on a deal, and we'll complete the deal Wed.  So, it's going to someone who will appreciate all of it's great attributes just as much as I did.  I have to admit, I'm kinda sad to see it go though.   Sad  At least it's going to a good new owner.  And yes, I've already pointed him to this forum. Smiley  

I am definitely convinced that the S40 is the all-around best bike that anyone could ever possibly start out with.

Dave

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #31 - 11/14/12 at 19:16:21

Serowbot wrote on 11/04/12 at 14:08:09:
Once they are rolling,.. there's very little difference...
Just be more aware during slow maneuvers... (parking lots, u-turns,..)..
Make sure you're totally vertical when coming to a stop...
When pulling in to a parking space,.. look to see if it's on a downgrade... if it is, back in... (it's real hard to back-up a heavy bike)...
Wink...

As someone who's spent 2 years on a Savage, 2 on a C50, and just got an Electra Glide this fall, this is absolutely right.  The C50 was a bit of a learning curve, and the Glide is over twice the weight of the Savage, so you've gotta use your head when parking and so forth on these kinda bikes.  

However bike geometry makes a real difference too.  The Glide is built like a tank, but once it's rolling, even at parking lot speeds, the handling is very smooth.  Granted, it's not as nimble as the Savage, but I can lean it more than the C50 without scraping anything.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 11/14/12 at 20:09:12

Why do you seem surprised? If you wanna cATCh the Rowboat wrong, youll hafta go to the tall table.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #33 - 11/15/12 at 04:15:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/14/12 at 20:09:12:
Why do you seem surprised? If you wanna cATCh the Rowboat wrong, youll hafta go to the tall table.

Grin
I wasn't surprised, just taking the opportunity to chime in, since for once I actually knew a little about what was being talked about. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #34 - 11/18/12 at 20:13:31

Hey guys!  OK, I picked up the M50 Saturday.  The owner had the latest maintenance records waiting for me, plus saddle bags, plus a sissy-bar bag, plus a hydraulic motorcycle lift.  I'll see if I can post a pic, but the pics don't quite do this bike justice...it sure seems the owner took quite good care of it. I am really pleased!

I got a little seat time around my neighborhood, then took it out for a short ride in my local area after I felt comfortable, then tossed my lady-friend on the bike and rode around the neighborhood some more until I pretty much ran out of daylight.  Cool  Yeah, it's heavy compared to the S40, but man...this is a comfortable bike.  I proceeded carefully, but wasn't close to dropping it, even with my lady friend on the back.

Of course, I'm an idiot.  Grin  With it parked in my driveway and the engine off, I wanted to see how far I could lean it without it getting too heavy for me to hold it upright.  Ummm...LOL...not that far.  Tongue  Lean it probably 20 degrees and it gets real heavy real quick...I ended up busting my a$$ in my driveway with the engine off.  Grin  (I'm glad lady friend didn't video that...I know it would already be on youtube and facebook by now.  Grin  Ever noticed how women always laugh hysterically at us when we do something stupid and end up on the ground?   Grin ).  I also discovered how heavy it feels to pick it up after dropping it...whew...glad I've been shown how to pick it up by putting your back against it.  Smiley  OK, so I now know the answer to two of my questions...1) how far can I lean it before it's too heavy (not very far), and 2) how hard is it to pick up if I drop it (pretty hard!).  OK, so now I know.  Grin

Now that I've completely embarassed myself  Cool let me see if I can link to a pic or two..  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #35 - 11/18/12 at 20:21:51

2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 Limited Edition...

Suzuki_BoulevardM50_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #36 - 11/18/12 at 20:22:55

2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - 2nd pic

Suzuki_BoulevardM50_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #37 - 11/18/12 at 20:51:21

Darn!,.. a video would have made it worth it...
... and now,.. for your next trick... check the oil level...
... and roll video this time...
Grin Grin Grin...

Enjoy your new bike,..  Wink...
Ride safe,
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #38 - 11/19/12 at 03:55:07

Congrats on the new wheels, may she never hit the ground again!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #39 - 11/19/12 at 12:46:42

Serowbot wrote on 11/18/12 at 20:51:21:
Darn!,.. a video would have made it worth it...
... and now,.. for your next trick... check the oil level...
... and roll video this time...
Grin Grin Grin...

Serow

I know, right?  Grin

Speaking of lady friend, she's now upset at me because I sold the S40.  I honestly thought that when she said she didn't want it, she actually meant she didn't want it. How could I be so silly.  Wink  There are only a couple S40's for sale locally (at higher prices)...however, there seem to be quite a few Savage's for sale locally at prices right around what we just sold her GZ250 for. Hmmm...who knows, there may be another Savage in the family soon.  Wink  

I can't think of another bike above the 500-600cc range that is similar weight as the Savage/S40 (she needs something light or she'll be too scared to ride it) that's not a sport bike...Vulcan 500, Yamaha V-Star, Honda Shadow all are 100 lbs or so heavier than the S40.  Any bikes come to mind that I might be missing (that are cruisers)?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #40 - 11/19/12 at 17:10:44

Dave,

Just enjoy! I went from a Savage to the VStar 1100. I miss the "flickability" of the savage. I could burn up the big bikes in the twisties.
I have to "think" to ride the VStar fast. I rode the Savage fast because it
was easy. I felt I could correct while in a turn. Oldfeller knows what I mean.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #41 - 11/19/12 at 20:17:56

Now you know you can lift the bike by yourself. It is always better to find this out at home. Don't be too embarrassed. I'm sure most people here have done similar silly tests. I know I have. I have proven a bike will not stay upright unless the kickstand is in the down position. As there were no witnesses this proof cannot be verified. And I have no intention to replicate it with witnesses.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #42 - 11/20/12 at 04:49:43

LOL.  Grin  

My lady friend affectionately refers to me as "Hemar", which is Arabic for "donkey". I can't say a thing in protest, because I know it's true.  Wink

From the little bit of seat time I've had so far, this M50 only feels massive sitting still.  From what I can tell so far, it's very responsive in terms of handling.  (In fact, in all the reviews of various years, it consistently gets great marks for having a supple but still controlled suspension and stable handling, even versus the Vulcan 900's.)  It's definitely not as flickable as the S40, but still no wallowing pig. That said, I think it'll be quite a while before I'm pushing any of it's limits.  Wink

Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 11/20/12 at 06:48:01

Not long after I got my Savage I saw a guy on an M50. He was so tiny he had to drop off the bike at stops, leaving the knee & calf on the seat. Light turned green, he hopped up & gunned it & rode away.. I REALLY wanted to to talk to him, maybe buy him a cup O joe, but I just didnt.. I still regret that,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #44 - 11/20/12 at 21:07:50

Now THAT is just too funny.  I wonder what he'd do if he had a passenger?  Grin

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:29:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Adapting to a heavier bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.