Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Adapting to a heavier bike? (Read 526 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Adapting to a heavier bike?
Reply #15 - 11/05/12 at 18:19:49

Skid Mark wrote on 11/05/12 at 18:06:32:
I went to a c90. As stated the issues are when going slow or stopping. You really need to be able to plant your feet properly when stopped. If you are not able to, you have very little margins before to bike will drop. And once these puppies tip past a point there is no way you can stop it.  As for slow maneuvering its practice in a parking lot. Get the "how to ride like a pro" video. I  found it worth every penny for spelling out how to do slow manoeuvres.

Good points Mark! I know a lot of the guys on here scoff at the MSF Rider Ed courses but the best of the classes to me was "low-speed" manovering. I started out riding back in the '70s and thought I knew a lot about riding but the class taught this old dog several new tricks!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 11/05/12 at 23:25:10

Yup,.. my Savage can touch bars to pavement and I can still recover...
... an 800lb bike gets past 10 or 15 degrees off center... and it's goin' down... Huh...

I have a buddy that buys and sells dozens of bikes per year...  He's about 5'-6" and 110lbs wet,... and can ride anything with total confidence... that dude is focused...  
I can ride as fast as I can, through the wildest twisties, and he can peg me at my 5 o'clock, and never lose me...

I'm so unfocused, I can get wobbly on the kickstand...
...'course,.. I've been know to doze off on long straightaways, too..
Focus, Serow, focus!.... Huh...

You can balance any bike with one hand,.. as long as you don't don't go off center...
Once yer' off,.. yer' in a gator wrastle... Grin...

If you're worried about handling the weight,.. ask one of the guys at the bike shop to give you a lesson in walking bikes...
They push and pull them in and out of the building, every morning and evening...
20 to 50 bikes,... in and out,... every day...
In one month,.. they will have rolled more bike weight, than you will in your life...

I use my left hand on the bars,... right on the seat, or something in that area,... and keep my right thigh in the area as a catch... and if anything starts to go off,... I pull onto my thigh... like a flesh kickstand...
... but pro bike pushers may have better advice or explanations...

Just ask for a lesson... people are usually proud to show their skills and share their knowledge... and even appreciate that you notice...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 11/06/12 at 07:13:41

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 11/06/12 at 10:56:45

OK...a small local car dealer has a 2005 Boulevard M50 for sale...low miles, saddlebags, sissy bar, and Cobra pipes.  I went and took it for a low-speed ride around the parking lot (don't have my helmet or riding gear with me, plus it's 45 degrees today....brrrrr)...I can tell it's heavier than the S40, but it seems very well-balanced (low COG) and very manageable.  My gut feel tells me I could adapt to this without too much difficulty.  It's big enough to stretch out a little (controls are more forward vs. straight underneath like the S40), big comfortable seat, etc.  It's wide compared to the skinny S40, but I can still plant my feet on the ground just fine. Those Cobra pipes look and sound nice.  Cool 

I think he's asking a bit too much for it (almost $5K), but everything is negotiable...especially motorcycles and boats in late Fall.  Grin  I plan to go back with riding gear on the next warmer day and take it for a spin on the road instead of just the parking lot.  Tongue

Dave

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/06/12 at 12:27:20

My neighbor has an S50 and he can make an extremely tight and smooth U-turn out in our street.  He is about 80 yrs old and spent many years on a Goldwing.  Ergonomically the S50 is a better fit for me.   When riding at a decent speed the weight isn't a problem.  But I don't like the extra weight when I am manuevering a bike around in my garage or coming to a stop where the pavement is sloped off to the side or is at a steep angle.

When I was younger I could handle the weight but now that I am older wieght is one of the biggest considerations for me.  I like the S40 becasue its' weight is reasonable and it has lots of torque which is handy for all the in town riding I do.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/06/12 at 12:28:41

I met to say M50 in the above post.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/06/12 at 22:41:05

Ohh REally?

I had to post something so I could see if it said Edit,,

Nope

Upper right, says Modify.Click that & you can change your post.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 11/06/12 at 22:59:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/12 at 22:41:05:

That's my favourite button..  
I wish my bike had one... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #23 - 11/07/12 at 05:14:37

As a smaller person (5'-4", 130lbs) and MTP Instructor, I get asked frequently by Students ... particularly those of smaller stature and/or the female persuasion, about Bikes that would be a good fit and/or potential Bike weight vs Rider size/weight issues. I most always recommend starting out on a smaller, lighter weight motorcycle ... and have successfully recommended the LS650 on a couple of occassions with good results!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #24 - 11/07/12 at 07:28:50

Serowbot wrote on 11/06/12 at 22:59:32:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/12 at 22:41:05:

That's my favourite button..  
I wish my bike had one... Huh...

Sometimes I wish my mouth had one.  Grin

Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #25 - 11/07/12 at 07:36:52

PerrydaSavage wrote on 11/07/12 at 05:14:37:
..I most always recommend starting out on a smaller, lighter weight motorcycle ... and have successfully recommended the LS650 on a couple of occassions with good results!!

Yup, I think the S40/LS650 is an almost perfect bike for a beginner, but still got enough guts that you don't outgrow it immediately.  A lady friend started out with a GZ-250...she's outgrown it already. (She's not quite *aware* that's she's outgrown it...she's more than happy to poke along at 35mph in a 55mph zone...of course, all the cars queueing up behind her aren't too happy about that...eventually, someone will do something stupid and run her over just because she isn't going fast enough...she actually *needs* a bigger bike...and an S40 would be perfect for her, only 50 lbs heavier than her GZ-250).  So, totally agreed...I would highly recommend the S40 for a beginner over a GZ-250, Rebel 250, V-Star 250, etc.

I don't really NEED a bigger bike (I haven't actually "outgrown" the S40), I just WANT a bigger bike.  Smiley

Dave

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #26 - 11/07/12 at 08:55:43

Here's an irony ... one of our former Students, a gal I was romantically involved with this past summer, I recommended an LS to and we searched and eventually found for her a silver 2004 Savage in like-new condition with only 2400kms on the clock ... for literally a song price-wise. She fell in love with the Bike, took to it like a fish to water and bragged to all who would listen just how perfect this bike was for her ... anyhoo, a bit of back-story; a few days after taking delivery of her Savage (and only about 2 weeks after we had started seeing each other), while Riding home from work one day a member of a local RC riding a 1300cc Honda Cruiser pulled next to her at a stop light and started hitting on her. She told me about it that evening and I told her to get used to it as she was an attractive gal with her own Bike and was sure to attract the attention of "stray dogs". She thought this hilarious and over the next few months she'd tell me that this dude, who hung out at a local coffee shop near my house would, if she stopped by there for coffee on her way to my place, continue to hit on her. She also told me that she had no interest in Riding Clubs and preferred to be a "Lone Wolf" and do her own thing. So long story longer, she emailed me one day not long after, giving me the Dear John and a sob story about not having "room in her life for a relationship right now" and week or so later I find out that she had shagged off with the "stray dog", joined the RC and is now selling her beloved Savage to buy a "bigger" Bike (Yamaha 950 V-Star), because I guess in her mind she needs a bigger motorcycle to ride with "the club" ... Now this gal is all of 5'-1' and maybe 115lbs on a good day ... so I wish her luck with that V-Star ... hope  she doesn't regret the decision to sell her Savage ... or the "stray dog" ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #27 - 11/08/12 at 08:55:42

The stray dog may not be house-trained, so maybe she'll change her mind after he pee's all over the house.  Wink

Dave

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #28 - 11/08/12 at 11:32:00

@Dave Sisk- Why is she only doing 35Mph in a 55Mph zone with a GZ-250? That bike will do upwards of 70Mph no problem with a lighter rider, sounds more like she's afraid to keep up speed on it  Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #29 - 11/08/12 at 14:08:33

ToesNose wrote on 11/08/12 at 11:32:00:
@Dave Sisk- Why is she only doing 35Mph in a 55Mph zone with a GZ-250? That bike will do upwards of 70Mph no problem with a lighter rider, sounds more like she's afraid to keep up speed on it  Huh

OK, I'm exaggerating a little....45 - 50 in a 55mph zone...but still poking along slow enough to irritate everyone behind her.  Roll Eyes

It'll prob get her up to about 60 - 65 mph or so...I took it for a spirited spin once and it barely got me up to 55mph.  (Of course, that was in 5th gear though...I prob should have dropped down to 4th and tried that.) So, yeah, it'll hit the speed limit...but it takes a while to get there.   Grin  And she's a big chicken, so delaying her getting there just makes her never get there...I guess she gets scared since it takes so long...I think on an S40, she'd be up to 55mph+ before she realized it (before she had time to get too scared!  LOL) and would just roll with it.

Btw, she drives a car like that too.  Grin   However, with the exception of poking along too slow, she's actually shown herself to be a very safe rider otherwise.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:18:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Adapting to a heavier bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.