Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Adapting to a heavier bike? (Read 526 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Adapting to a heavier bike?
11/04/12 at 12:25:35

Hey guys...from another thread, some of you know I'm considering something like a Boulevard M50 or similar...essentially an 800-900cc or so bike that would be around 150lbs heavier than our S40's.  (That said, I'll prob keep the S40 for my lady friend, so I don't actually plan to sell it at the moment...her little Suzuki GZ-250 is actually for sale right now).

So, what's necessary to successfully and safely adapt to a larger, 150 lb (or so) heavier bike?  Keep in mind I still consider myself a newbie, been riding for less than 1 year.  I know lots of you have ridden much longer and much larger bikes, so share some of your wisdom please.

Cheers!
Dave

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Adapting to a heavier bike?
Reply #1 - 11/04/12 at 14:08:09

Once they are rolling,.. there's very little difference...
Just be more aware during slow maneuvers... (parking lots, u-turns,..)..
Make sure you're totally vertical when coming to a stop...
When pulling in to a parking space,.. look to see if it's on a downgrade... if it is, back in... (it's real hard to back-up a heavy bike)...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 11/04/12 at 14:45:54

Thanks man.  Yeah, the "totally vertical when coming to a stop" is the part I probably need some work on.  We can get away with some slop on a lighter bike like the S40.  The only time I've been close to dropping it was on a few stops that were less than gracefully executed.  Tongue  Practice makes perfect though...probably some extended practice on emergency stops would be a good idea.  Wink

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/04/12 at 20:16:55

Find ya one of those pencil legged old men on a Gold Wing with some Fat Momma sittin up on the Queen seat & tell him ya wanna buy him a cuppa joe & sit & talk about riding bikes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 11/04/12 at 20:53:52

Cool

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 11/05/12 at 03:28:47

It has been my experience that the success of adapting to a larger/heavier motorcycle has a lot to do with your own physical size. As pointed out once rolling, not a lot of diff ... but it is the slo-speed manoeuvers, the keeping the Bike vertical stopped on a grade or off-camber pavement or the backing up the Bike into or out of a parking space or garage that can be tricky. Physical strength and size will make all of the above much easier than it tends to be for some smaller Riders. I personally know a couple of smaller statured folk who "traded up" from their LS650s only to wish for 'em back!

EDIT: The Honda VT750C2 Spirit is one motorcycle that comes to mind as viable "larger/heavier" motorcycle that smaller statured Savage Riders could more easily adapt to on account of it's low 25" seat height and foot control that are not forward in the extreme ... I know of a few smaller gals who own these without issue.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 11/05/12 at 07:00:56

Thanks for the post.  I"m 5'10" and 180 lbs, not exactly Mr Universe but not exactly a weakling either.  So, reading into what you've said...if a heavier bike still feels light enough to be manageable from just sitting on it and standing it upright, it might be a reasonable candidate.  Perhaps a good test would be to lay it down and see how hard it is to actually pick it up before even taking it for a test ride, eh? (I'm sure sellers will love that!  Grin )

Dave

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/05/12 at 07:33:04

I have a lot of experience riding.......but almost all of it was on a motocross, enduro, dual-sport or trials bike that weighed 250 pounds or less.  My trials bike weighs 165 pounds and was my only motorcycle for severeal years prior to buying the Savage.....and the 350 pound Savage felt like a heavy bike in comparison.

Last winter my wife and I rented a Harley Ultra Classic for a day while visiting Florida, and this was before I had my Savage and put some street miles under my butt.  The Harley felt fine out on the highway and anything over 15 mph was a piece of cake.  In town, and when at rest the weight of the bike was impressive.  The wide tank and wide seat made it impossible to have your legs near vertical when stopping - and my legs were splayed out at angles that made it hard to support the bike if it wasn't vertical.  At one stop light I came to a stop and put my left foot out on the ground while my right foot was on the brake - and as I leaned the bike every so slightly to the left.....my wife leaned left to look at something! Shocked  I had a very brief Sumo-Session with my left leg as I worked to keep everything vertical.  I am 5'-8" tall and weigh 156 pounds and I am in great shape as I work out at the gym for an hour and half every morning.......I would guess the motorcycle and my wife combined was about 850 pounds and it was a challenge to keep it vertical.  I also made a mistake of parking the bike under a tree in a gravel parking lot, and when I came back there were cars on both side that prevented me from being able to swing the bike around.  I had to get on the bike and slowly back-pedal the bike on the slippery leaves to get it back out of the parking space......I learned a lesson on how to park a big heavy bike in that episode.

I am certain that riding a heavy bike is possible......however having riding experience and being a good rider is certainly is a plus.  You need to adapt your riding and parking style to the weight of the bike.  I did find that riding out on the road was great.....around town it felt cumbersome and bulky compared to the smaller bikes.

It cost us $ 85 to rent the bike from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, it woudl have been $ 140 for a 24 hour period.  We had a fun time, got to experience what it was like to ride an $ 14,000 bike, and learned what it was like to ride a big Harley.  I believe it was money well spent, and I enjoyed it much more than I would have enjoyed Disney World!  If you want to experience a big bike before you go buy one.....rent one!   

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 11/05/12 at 07:58:49

Now that's a great idea.  Thanks Dave!

Cheers,
The other Dave

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 11/05/12 at 08:44:39

I went by the local bike shop two days ago. Since the computer/register was down I was told to look about for a few minutes.
I sat on a Vstar 1100 that I really liked the feel of and then on a Honda 750 Shadow. It struck me just how heavy and WIDE these bike were. Then I found a used HD Sportster 883... wow.. just wow. Fit like a glove. Not too wide.. not too high. Just a slighly beefier Savage.  

If and thats a big IF .. if one comes up on the cheap.. I may just have jump on it.  

PS: look at my other post on my 2-up ride with the wife.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #10 - 11/05/12 at 12:06:00

If you compare power to weight ratio of the Savage vs a Sportster 883, there isn't much difference.

I recently traded my Suzuki Burgman 650 for a V Star 1100 and don't have any problems with the weight of the 1100. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia in both knees and hips.

My S40 feels like a toy compared to the Burgman and V Star.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 11/05/12 at 12:23:56

12Bravo wrote on 11/05/12 at 12:06:00:
I...don't have any problems with the weight of the [V-star] 1100. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia in both knees and hips.

Arthritis AND fibromyalgia...AND still riding.  My friend, you are an inspiration to all of us.  Cool  This would be one of those cases where skills and smoothness outweigh physical strength and size, I'd assume.

Maybe I should just go ahead and snag an M109R (any excuse works!)   Grin

Dave

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #12 - 11/05/12 at 17:02:25

How a bike is balanced makes a difference. A heavier bike with low center of gravity isn't that bad to handle. An example is older (80's-90's) Harley Ultra Classic compared to a new one, night and day difference in how they are balanced.

I'll probably end up putting a trike kit on either/both the V Star or S40 in the near future. Unless I can find a wrecked Fiero with a good drive train  Grin

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #13 - 11/05/12 at 17:22:20

12Bravo wrote on 11/05/12 at 17:02:25:
How a bike is balanced makes a difference. A heavier bike with low center of gravity isn't that bad to handle.

That was kinda my thought too after sitting on an M50 (and an M109R) and merely standing them up off the kick stand..."Hmmm, doesn't *feel* as heavy as I would have expected, given the actual weight".  I guess if the center of gravity is really low, you've got a lot more leverage to pull the whole thing back upright if necessary.

Dave

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 11/05/12 at 18:06:32

I went to a c90. As stated the issues are when going slow or stopping. You really need to be able to plant your feet properly when stopped. If you are not able to, you have very little margins before to bike will drop. And once these puppies tip past a point there is no way you can stop it.  As for slow maneuvering its practice in a parking lot. Get the "how to ride like a pro" video. I  found it worth every penny for spelling out how to do slow manoeuvres.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:51:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Adapting to a heavier bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.