Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
General running issue - spark plugs? (Read 74 times)
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

General running issue - spark plugs?
11/03/12 at 11:41:27

Hi, my 86 Savage has been doing on and off alright for a little bit now.  I just replaced the starter after melting it during a bunch of issues while riding.  

The bike will idle well for the most part, die sometimes when I take off, but recently as soon as I start to get going at any sort of real rpm's it will start to choke out, hesitate and catch up, then just die...  It takes a while to get started again, and if I can start it it will generally idle but then die when I try to ride.  

I had this problem and changed the plugs, it rode well for one trip to town and died out on the way back.  That's when I burnt the starter...  

So not I have changed the starter, it will start... sometimes... and idle, but when I hop on and get into the top of 1st gear, or into 2nd it will start this choking thing again.  

So just not I pulled the plug to take a pic, does this look fouled to you guys enough to cause my problem and if so, what can I try to change this?  I am having a hard time telling what it could be, any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

20121103_111952.jpg
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Re: General running issue - spark plugs?
Reply #1 - 11/03/12 at 11:54:52

Maybe a fuel issue? What kind of petcock are ya runnin? Have you cleaned the carb? Cleaned the jets? I would start there.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/03/12 at 11:56:20

I don't know what already checked,... but I'd guess you've got a sticky needle slide....
Clean it...
A sticky slide gives a lot of intermittent, stumbly, problems and poor starting...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/03/12 at 11:57:36

Stock petcock, in good condition.  Carb was cleaned about a year ago, completely redone, no problems until last month.  On a long drive it just started acting like it was running out of fuel.  Plenty of fuel, ran some sea foam through, but it has never fully recovered except for that one day when it ran fine for about 30 miles, then cut again.

Are there any tests I can perform on the carb?

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/03/12 at 11:59:33

I've seen needle threads on here guiding through the process.  I've cleaned carbs and I'm pretty handy, but diagnosis is not my strong suit.  If there are any tests I can try I will, or if just opening it up and checking the float needle is the best approach I will.

I have the tank off still, I will leave it on the bench until I figure this one out, tired of putting everything back together just to take it apart the next day Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/03/12 at 12:04:44

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/03/12 at 12:21:57

Yup, seen that thread, and I am almost positive I saw a tiny bit of fluid in the vacuum line, it is not there now and I assumed it was condensation at the time, but could be the petcock needs to go.  I will try the cap test and see if that does anything.

The bike should run properly during this test, correct?  If I experince other issues I will report back

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/03/12 at 12:57:05

Currently have the vacuum lines plugged on both ends, petcock on prime, and can't get it tor turn over...

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #8 - 11/03/12 at 18:06:00

I say get the raptor! But I'm just a guy, maybe its clogged jets?

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:31:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › General running issue - spark plugs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.