Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gremlin's gone. My turn. Won'tstart. (Read 84 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Gremlin's gone. My turn. Won'tstart.
11/03/12 at 07:48:25

Shut it off a week ago. Covered it for the storm. Turns over. Has spark. Replaced plug while I was in there. Drained bowl. Shoot ether in the air box. It tried to fire once. What's the next step?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: My turn. Won'tstart.
Reply #1 - 11/03/12 at 07:51:11

I'd go back a step and try it with the old plug should you still  have it..new is not always good.
Good luck chasing the gremlins. Undecided

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Gremlin's gone. My turn. Won'tstart.
Reply #2 - 11/03/12 at 08:23:51

I don't know. I let the battery charge for a short while and it fired up. I am going for a ride to make sure it is okay. Can these things flood? There is no accelerator pump, right?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/03/12 at 08:31:19

probably just a low battery
how old is it?

no pump, any flooding that might occur would either be from over rich jetting or extended cranking on choke.

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 11/03/12 at 08:51:39

It turned over fine. For quite a while. Just like many people, I said 'it'll start if I keep crankin' it'. Well, then the battery got low. I don't know how old the battery is. Probably the original from 2002. I will get a new one just to be safe. It was probably flooded due to extended cranking while the choke was on full. I don't typically need that but figured with the cooler weather I did. After removing the plug and air filter and waiting for the battery to charge, it probably just dried up. Funny thing though is it happened last night and didn't dry out before this morning. Hmm.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/03/12 at 09:52:30

ONce its failed to start , then yea, get the battery up, get that thing all the way charged up. If you dont usually need the choke, dont choke it, if you need to choke it, youll know, when it doesnt start like it usually does. Then , 1/2 choke, If it wont crank within a few seconds, stop,try full choke, but just cranking & cranking isnt the answer,
If I want to make absolutely certain mine wont start, all I gotta do is twist the gas, if its not at dead idle, its not startin cold,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 11/03/12 at 09:58:15

Leave the charger connected right to it while you're working on it - don't wait for the battery to die. Why?

Reason #1)
Draining batteries shortens their life span. Only deep-cycle batteries are designed to be drained and then recharged like a NiCad. Normal lead-acid batteries develop very small short-circuits between the lead plates and this lowers their amperage output and the amount of charge it holds. Basically it slowly turns into a smaller battery until it's too small to start your bike.

Reason #2)
The lower the voltage your battery is, the more current the starter draws. Voltage isn't what kills things - current kills things. This added current running through your ever-slowing starter will cause it to heat up more and wears the brushes and commutator more or eventually the glue that holds the magnets inside melts and the magnets fall into the starter rendering it useless. This happened recently to someone on here. Starters are designed to crank for short bursts - 10/15 seconds tops - and those short bursts should be at full battery voltage. A voltage high enough to make sure its internal impedance(resistance) is high enough so it can displace all of that energy.

Reason #3)
Sometimes a slow-turning engine leaks down too much of its compression to start anyways. That slow turning motor just won't start even if it is tuned properly.

Keep that battery charged and keep that starter spinning fast - there are no benefits to it spinning slowly - only negatives.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 11/03/12 at 14:46:33

Thanks for all the info. I will get a new battery and keep it charged.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 11/03/12 at 14:50:56

It became ornery again after sitting a couple of hours. No choke and had to hold WOT to start. I think my low speed jet may be too big and it's running rich. (which is that, main or pilot?) I didn't notice any issues in the summer but now I smell fuel as well.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/03/12 at 16:05:13

If youre gonna have a battery in your hands, now is a good time to hunt up a 2 wire connector that will only connect one way & put one end on the battery & the other on a float charger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 11/03/12 at 21:26:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/03/12 at 16:05:13:
If youre gonna have a battery in your hands, now is a good time to hunt up a 2 wire connector that will only connect one way & put one end on the battery & the other on a float charger.

I have a 12v outlet. My charger/tender has a 12v plug. Easy as pie!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/04/12 at 01:05:36

Yea, that sounds like a good installation,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:34:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gremlin's gone. My turn. Won'tstart.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.