Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
East Coast Washout. (Car question) (Read 132 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
East Coast Washout. (Car question)
11/01/12 at 09:15:45

Well, I usually buy my cars in there second or third year of their life..preferably lower miliage under 50K.  In Mass car insurance on new cars is umbelievable, even at 65 and perfect driving record, no claims in 10 years etc.   AS both my wife and my cars are about due for replacement, it dawned on me that next Spring when I start my car search, the market might be flooded with "flooded" cars from NY and NJ>
Its not that I don't trust car dealers but how can we be sure a car we choose wasn't a post skinny dip in the Atlantic car? Undecided

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: East Coast Washout. (Car question)
Reply #1 - 11/01/12 at 09:25:06

Spend the money and do a carfax!!!!! Also if the insurance company "totalled" it,it will have a salvage title.When somebody buys it and rebuilds it.It is then a rebuilt salvage or (R) title.Ask to see the title.
I do alot of salvage rebuilds.Usually light hits on cheap cars.It doesn't take much to total a 2000 Neon or Cavalier when using their corporation parts and labor rates.Buy them put aftermarket parts on them do the work myself.BUT,I ALWAYS LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!Flood cars are a different story,especially salt water.I would probably head west for an hour or so to buy something used within the next 6 months or so.Just my opinion.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 09:38:46

A few years ago,... you watched out for "Katrina" cars...
Now, it'll be "Sandy" cars.... ironically more appropriate name..

That's what you're looking for... Sand... in carpet,.. up under dash,.. etc...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 11:09:17

Have the dealership sign a paper stating it isnt a flood car , with the stipulation that after youve bought it, if you can prove it was flooded & had to be taken & cleaned up because there was water inside the passenger compartment, then, regardless of miles, for up to 2 years you can bring it back & theyll pay you what you bought it for, IE, they get the car, you walk away from the note. & get it notarized, heck, have a lawyer read it, If they hesitate,, then,, maybe you should, too.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 11/01/12 at 11:50:55

Good points, I had thought of the car fax; but do car repair shops or dealerships have to report if a car has gone swimming??  JOG - you are right, if I see sand, I am going running instead.
Demin - the title - hadn't thought about it; that's a good point.  Muchas gracias. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #5 - 11/01/12 at 13:01:15

go to Google and search for autocheck.aspx?vin=

More than likely this will take you to the Experian Autocheck pages of several auto dealerships that have not properly secured their web site.  From one of those pages you can paste your VIN into the address bar and get a decent amount of information, for free.

I like free.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 11/01/12 at 13:39:22

Demin wrote on 11/01/12 at 09:25:06:
Spend the money and do a carfax!!!!! Also if the insurance company "totalled" it,it will have a salvage title.When somebody buys it and rebuilds it.It is then a rebuilt salvage or (R) title.Ask to see the title.
I do alot of salvage rebuilds.Usually light hits on cheap cars.It doesn't take much to total a 2000 Neon or Cavalier when using their corporation parts and labor rates.Buy them put aftermarket parts on them do the work myself.BUT,I ALWAYS LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!Flood cars are a different story,especially salt water.I would probably head west for an hour or so to buy something used within the next 6 months or so.Just my opinion.

I know some take a dim veiw of this... but on the flip side: the insurance totaled my 1996 Ford Ranger in 2008. A lady hit me and did $4000 damage.  I was between a rock and hard spot.. as I REALLY loved that truck. spray in bedliner, upgraded ( by me) differential with posi and oversized tires. Not to mention I had "babied" it for 10 years. I tried to buy it back but the bodyshop said, I would have to have the work done and inspected before I could put it back on the road. Money wasn't really the issue .. the issue was time. I would have to go without any transportation until it was all done.  In the end I gave up my beloved little truck.. and I am STILL paying for the repllacement.  Nice truck and all.. but I would just as soon be in my old paid for Ranger.

Government and insurance got pretty wise in the months following katrina down here (I live in MS). Not to say a bunch of shams didn't get pulled, but eventually most of us got wise. Where folks did get burned was where parts were pulled out of the "katrina kars" like trannys and and door panels and such. I suspect those type parts are still infesting our area.  

As to YOUR situation.. come on down here! We dont use salt on the roads (ever) and given our local economy prices aren't that bad (read southerners are cheap bastards).  Memphis has an active Craigslist.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 11/02/12 at 06:14:25

In Nebraska the rules might be different about salvaged cars. I can only speak from my recent experience. My '94 Sunbird was rear-ended at relatively low speed. The repair estimate was $3755; the car's estimated retail sale value was $2500; the car was declared a total loss even though it is still drivable and safe. Its salvage value was declared as $450, so I elected to keep the car and donate it to a local school shop class. The insurance company didn't even take the title, so it remains "clean." They told me that in Nebraska if the car is valued at less than $11K or is more than six years old, a salvage title is not required. I do not know what they would have done with the title had I let them take the car, but I do know they have a contract with a company which buys totalled cars from them and does whatever they do.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 11/02/12 at 08:14:12

I've got an insurance "total" sitting in the field by the barn. Needs a grille, a fender, a headlight, and the core support/inner fender replaced. A couple grand to fix it. Clean title, they didn't want it. 92 Ranger. Insurance companies here only take vehicles with a "following", like 4x4 Toyotas and such... so a rebuilt wreck may not show up as a rebuilt wreck.

Mine's just a parts donor unless somebody desperately needed a project.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 11/02/12 at 16:34:27

So i might still be waist deep and nekkid, wading amongst the Allygators.
Hmmm, might have to change my car buying habits.  Thanks for the responses (from a relatively cheap New Englander). Cheesy

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/03/12 at 03:22:07

Instead of waiting for the 2nd or 3rd year wait 4 to 6 and then buy a 2-3 year old car.
Or buy a Hyundai. Rediculous. My gf bought an Accent hatch not too long ago. They just released the new Elantras and she'd have liked one of those but the Accent is fine.
Lifetime Toyo tires, 10 year 100k bumper to bumper. I told her to stick 'em for lifetime oil changes and she'd be golden.
17k.

--Steve

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 11/03/12 at 06:44:17

Trippah, here in Mississippi we consider northern cars "totalled" just from the salt undercoating they get.   Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/03/12 at 16:34:37

MiCTLaN wrote on 11/01/12 at 13:01:15:
go to Google and search for autocheck.aspx?vin=

More than likely this will take you to the Experian Autocheck pages of several auto dealerships that have not properly secured their web site.  From one of those pages you can paste your VIN into the address bar and get a decent amount of information, for free.

I like free.  Cheesy

THANKS for this!  I'm going to check my truck title and see what pops up.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 11/03/12 at 17:48:30

Boofer - I suspect that's a wise decision,  if the ocean doesn't kill the  car, the road salt will.  Maybee a trip to a salt free zone is called for when the time is right.  (Of course, winning a few mil in the lottery cold make this all unnecessary).   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:47:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › East Coast Washout. (Car question)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.