Who do? (Read 234 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Who do?
10/15/12 at 20:00:04

Had a soaker here today in the Pacific Northwest, rode 30 plus miles in a downpour with gusting winds to 30 miles an hour....
I felt like a drowned rat, but upon stripping out of my gear I came to find I was pretty dry. It seems this bike throws up more water than my rebel use to, or is it just my imagination.....???
Has anybody ever noticed if certain bikes draft better (keeping the rain away from the rider, seat to boots)
My gear is hanging by the fireplace to put back on at 3AM to go to work again....can't wait till it snows, it doesn't stick as much to me  Grin

Anybody ride in the rain?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Who do?
Reply #1 - 10/15/12 at 20:17:28

I*ve been so wet that when I put a foot down at a lite I felt every pulse of the ignition, I didnt like it, not any

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/15/12 at 21:31:56

You will get lots of water off the high bottom of the front fender,as Americans call it. If there is no screen you're going to get more water. As these are a light bike and get pushed around in the wind. You may get an impression that you are taking more water than you are. I will ride in rain if it happens.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/15/12 at 21:32:46

put a fender skirt on the front, it tends to throw up a lot of water.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/15/12 at 21:34:36

What? No answers from the fenderless Bobber guys>?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/15/12 at 22:57:11

I got caught in a rainstorm,... had to stop and pour the water out of my boots...
...so, I added a mudflap...
Now, it directs the water much more precisely at me... Huh...

This is why there are cars...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 10/15/12 at 23:14:08

If a fenderless bobber guy is gonna ride in the pouring rain, he's prolly wearing 100% waterproof gear.

At least I know I will be.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 10/16/12 at 04:20:55

I don't have a front fender. Or a windshield. I ride in the rain if it happens but don't go out of my way for it. At night, I need to lean way over behind a mirror or I can't see anything from the water fountain reflecting in the headlight. And it doesn't matter where I put my face, it gets soaked. I have to stop and change handkerchiefs because I can't breath through them any more. Water pours out of my boots and my underwear peels like crappy wallpaper. The worst experience was riding 40 minutes in a downpour to meet people at restaurant. For the first time I was actually cold in the air conditioning. I ate with them for about an hour and rode 40 minutes home.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/16/12 at 06:28:23

Yea a mud flap will deffinately help, but gear is the key   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 10/16/12 at 07:10:10

Toes nailed it - prepare for anything; especially on a cross country.  Besides, every biker knows, the best way to make it stop raining is to stop and pull on your rain gear.  It works kinda like a rain dance in reverse.   The rain gods like to have fun too.

But honestly, think rain is bad?  Wait til you get caught in a hailstorm on a flat plain with no trees or overpasses around.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #10 - 10/19/12 at 15:52:44

I ride all year in Vancouver, BC. I'm not sure if you've heard but we get a day or two of rain here. I've been seriously thinking about a mud flap on that front fender, to the point that I've been wondering if I could get another fender and weld them together so that the fender encloses the back of the wheel...

Yesterday my faithful rain gear let me down. I've had it for about five years and I paid $30 for it. I feel I did well but that nylon is shot now.

I'm looking at picking up some good wetweather gear this fall/winter. Anyone have some recommendations?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/19/12 at 16:25:38

I added this... I think it adds to the retro look...
... but,.. I still get drenched... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 10/19/12 at 16:46:44

Look for a Cobra Boulevard full fender that fits the 19" front wheel Shadows. Out of production for years but you can still find them at swap meets and some parts shops/wrecking yards. Try Bent Bike in western Wa, they had a bunch of them at the Auburn store. They were in the outside racks last time I was there (2011).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 10/20/12 at 12:01:22

greenmonster wrote on 10/19/12 at 15:52:44:
I ride all year in Vancouver, BC. I'm not sure if you've heard but we get a day or two of rain here. I've been seriously thinking about a mud flap on that front fender, to the point that I've been wondering if I could get another fender and weld them together so that the fender encloses the back of the wheel...

Yesterday my faithful rain gear let me down. I've had it for about five years and I paid $30 for it. I feel I did well but that nylon is shot now.

I'm looking at picking up some good wetweather gear this fall/winter. Anyone have some recommendations?

I bought this one and I'm very pleased with it. Love the boot straps too, as that was an issue as my pants could/might ride up over my ankle high boots and by then the damage was done. These keep them down over my water proof boots and my socks stay dry!

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Rain-Gear/Xelement-Mens-2-Piece-Black-a...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 10/20/12 at 12:18:52

Serowbot wrote on 10/19/12 at 16:25:38:
I added this... I think it adds to the retro look...
... but,.. I still get drenched... Huh...

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/rerun/mflap001.jpg

I watched/looked down yesterday when I was afforded the safe opportunity to watch the area where it seems the soaking it worse, and yep, with the narrow motor and a fender cut short, the water pours right off the wheel unto your lower legs and feet, almost like turning on a hose and pointing it at your feet   Angry
I will buy a flap (on line today). In the mean time I ride with an additional, I think its called a boot sock....I put it on over my boot, it rides up to mid calf and all the way down to my boots, covering them entirely except the bottom of the heel so you still have traction when (boots) placed upon ground....works extremely well, just something else you need to "dry" once you reach your destination.

BTW, we had a very bad storm Thursday night, lost power and all. Had to get dressed using the light on my Iphone, and forgot to put my savage panties on, I felt nekked all day  Cheesy
I was riding down the road on a solid covering of maple leaves and pine (actually fir) needles, talk about slick and slippery, kept the speed and torque way down for it wanted to break loose at any opportunity. Came to a road block, uh, I mean tree....the top 50 or so feet snapped off and cover the entire road, ARG! I looked for any power wires (in was 4 AM and dark) and saw none, so...I just found an opening between some of the bigger branches that held the main trunk up high enough for me to ride under, and I did, clearing the smaller branches away as I went through....I made it and I smelt like a Christmas tree all day long, so much s no one noticed I didn't have any panties on  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:29:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.