YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Head plug leak.
10/24/12 at 08:53:42

Hi.
Ok I just got my first Savage,
Its a 2002 with a little over 6k miles. runs great but I've noticed a small amount of white smoke after i ride it for a while... its not a big problem yet but being that i'm in the chicago area and i know i will have all witer to work on it, i would like to replace that head plug, i've been reading about that problem and i'm 90% sure thats what it is!! (I can see a real thin oil film on the left top side of the head) Ok question is: i've been reading about it and some people say "I'ts a real easy job" then i reead somewhere else "Its an about 4hrs job"?? Im average to good with tools i am an automotive tech. and i think 4 hrs can not be as easy as they described????  
i'm going to be working on it most winter and i'll be also replacing with the head plug, the spark pug,the air filter,oil filter and oil,i'm installing some of Ed L. forward controls and thinking about the cam chain tensioner!! is there any other recomendation to make this savage ready for next season???
Oh is there a place to get good parts at a good price???
Thanks. Cool

2002 Silver Savage 650 with Ed's L Forward controls and Dyna sorty mod. Cool
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Head plug leak.
Reply #1 - 10/24/12 at 09:36:29

bohe1,
Not all head plugs fail With only 6K miles before I would tear into it I would check the head bolt on the front of the jug under the exhaust header. Get down low and look up at the underside jug below and to the right (looking from the front of the bike) of the exhaust header. My guess is that you will see the head bolt and it will have oil on it. I have a 2007 that came with an oil film on the top of the jug and I was able to trace it to this bolt being loose.

For what it is worth

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/24/12 at 09:41:38

I just bought some OEM parts from Bike Bandit. Price wasn't much lower the the local dealer's but the dealer didn't have what I needed in stock. Parts were at my door in four days. Shipping charges were reasonable I think, especially since I avoided the 8% sales tax that I'd have to have payed at the dealership.

For some things you might be stuck with ordering from a dealer though. Bike Bandit doesn't list every single part.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 10/24/12 at 09:49:20

Now I wonder if you have an overbore upgrade planed or some other reason that your going to be removing the engine if tapping the hole and putting a pipe plug in there with some thread sealant would be a better idea?  I have been wondering about this because I do plan on doing the overbore on my Savage hopefully over over this winter.  So far I haven't been plagued by the head plug leak yet and hope it remains so until I do the upgrade.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bohe1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Reply #4 - 10/24/12 at 10:24:05

Thanks Blinky, I Will take a look at that bolt before i start with the head cover, is there any other bolts that you know?
around the head that could cause a leak and can be ck without removing head cover??
Thanks fo the advice.Blinky-FSO wrote on 10/24/12 at 09:36:29:
bohe1,
Not all head plugs fail With only 6K miles before I would tear into it I would check the head bolt on the front of the jug under the exhaust header. Get down low and look up at the underside jug below and to the right (looking from the front of the bike) of the exhaust header. My guess is that you will see the head bolt and it will have oil on it. I have a 2007 that came with an oil film on the top of the jug and I was able to trace it to this bolt being loose.

For what it is worth

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/24/12 at 10:31:49

rfw2003 wrote on 10/24/12 at 09:49:20:
Now I wonder if you have an overbore upgrade planed or some other reason that your going to be removing the engine if tapping the hole and putting a pipe plug in there with some thread sealant would be a better idea?  I have been wondering about this because I do plan on doing the overbore on my Savage hopefully over over this winter.  So far I haven't been plagued by the head plug leak yet and hope it remains so until I do the upgrade.

R.F.

I don't think that there is any reason to be pipe plugging.  A good quality sealant will help, and when I had mine apart I used a small rubber stopper that I inserted between the plug and the head cover so that it can't back out.  I had the old style plug and the newer style plug may actually be unable to back out enough to leak.....not sure.

Here is the link to what I did on mine....works for me!
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344781304

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bohe1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Reply #6 - 10/24/12 at 13:02:05

Ok I've been searching for the torque specs. on the head bolts and I think i still have to practice a little bit more here to be able to find what i'm looking for!!!  Embarrassed  I'm trying to find the torque for the upside down head bolt/nuts in front and back of the engine??
thanks in advance for any help!!  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/24/12 at 13:23:18

bohe1 wrote on 10/24/12 at 13:02:05:
Ok I've been searching for the torque specs. on the head bolts and I think i still have to practice a little bit more here to be able to find what i'm looking for!!!  Embarrassed  I'm trying to find the torque for the upside down head bolt/nuts in front and back of the engine??

Here is the link to the torque specs listed in the Technical Seciton.  Go to the index and look there first when you need something technical.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098848534

The specs show 17-19.9 foot pounds.....but I don't know of anyway to get a torque wrench on them.  I just put a bpx end wrench on and snugged them up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bohe1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Reply #8 - 10/24/12 at 13:26:35

Dave wrote on 10/24/12 at 13:23:18:
bohe1 wrote on 10/24/12 at 13:02:05:
Thanks Dave I will do that!

Here is the link to the torque specs listed in the Technical Seciton.  Go to the index and look there first when you need something technical.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098848534

The specs show 17-19.9 foot pounds.....but I don't know of anyway to get a torque wrench on them.  I just put a bpx end wrench on and snugged them up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/24/12 at 14:04:52

There's a method of using a box wrench with a torque wrench to torque it.

I'll have to look it up.

You have to measure the length of the wrench and apply a conversion factor to the torque requirement.

You can also buy crow's feet that puts a small open end wrench on the end of the torque wrench.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/24/12 at 14:17:05

There're a few calculators on line to help figure out what the new torque will be.  I didn't see a darn thing other than the info.

But the quick and easy solution to the problem is... turn the wrench so that it's at a right angle to the torque wrench.  There's still a difference, but it's a small one.

From http://norbar.com/calculators/torque-wrench-extension-calculator.aspx

When you put an extension on a torque wrench, like a crow foot or a dog bone, the torque applied to the fastener increases, since the lever arm increases. Use the calculator below to find what value you should set into the wrench to achieve the required fastener torque You must have Java enabled on your web browser, then you should see a calculator appear below.

While we have done our best to test this program, we cannot be responsible for errors or damages that result from its use. You must verify that the values obtained from the calculator are accurate before using them in any critical application.

This applet is based on the formula:

M1 = M2 x L1 / L2

Where:

M1 is the torque setting of the wrench.

M2 is the actual torque applied to the nut

L1 is the normal length of the wrench

L2 is the extended length of the wrench

WWW   IP Logged
bohe1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

illinois
Reply #11 - 10/24/12 at 14:43:20

Thanks verslagen1 as soon as i get home tonight i'm a give it a try!! and if tprque is @ 17 -19.9 i think i can just use my natural torque meter!! (I'm always working on cars) but you know car engine head torque is a lot higher than 17 -20..So i did good by not assuming on this one!!!
thanks guys!!verslagen1 wrote on 10/24/12 at 14:17:05:
There're a few calculators on line to help figure out what the new torque will be.  I didn't see a darn thing other than the info.

But the quick and easy solution to the problem is... turn the wrench so that it's at a right angle to the torque wrench.  There's still a difference, but it's a small one.

From http://norbar.com/calculators/torque-wrench-extension-calculator.aspx

When you put an extension on a torque wrench, like a crow foot or a dog bone, the torque applied to the fastener increases, since the lever arm increases. Use the calculator below to find what value you should set into the wrench to achieve the required fastener torque You must have Java enabled on your web browser, then you should see a calculator appear below.

While we have done our best to test this program, we cannot be responsible for errors or damages that result from its use. You must verify that the values obtained from the calculator are accurate before using them in any critical application.

This applet is based on the formula:

M1 = M2 x L1 / L2

Where:

M1 is the torque setting of the wrench.

M2 is the actual torque applied to the nut

L1 is the normal length of the wrench

L2 is the extended length of the wrench

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/24/12 at 16:11:14

IF youre gonna be wrong, be wrong on the low side..It can be tightened up later, un-stripping threads isnt so easy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 10/24/12 at 21:21:31

Dave wrote on 10/24/12 at 13:23:18:
....but I don't know of anyway to get a torque wrench on them....

Here's a way to torque fasteners that are impossible to access with a plain torque wrench:

I've got lots of impromptu torque adapters I use while working on my bikes.  For instance, here are two that I've rigged up to torque the two 6mm nuts that are on the starboard side of the bottom of the cylinder assy.

This one uses a standard 10mm combination wrench.  The open end of the wrench fits perfectly on the drive square of my 3/8" torque wrench:

This one uses a 10mm crow's foot popped onto the drive square of my 3/8" drive torque wrench:

Just get an accurate measurement of the new perpendicular moment arm and do the math.  The offset angle of the 10mm wrench is small enough such that it can be neglected, by my calculations.

I keep the conversion factors in a book in my garage.  I currently have nineteen different torque adapters listed in that book.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/15/24 at 22:20:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head plug leak.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.