Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Right turn signal won't cancel on 2007 S40 (Read 177 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Right turn signal won't cancel on 2007 S40
10/20/12 at 17:58:59

Took the seat and gas tank off today to try to track down an oil leak coming from the top-right of the cylinder, near the valve cover gasket and the rubber plug. Also attached a battery charger connector to the battery (and accidentally shorted it a couple of times, briefly, which might be relevant). When I put the bike back together, the right turn signal was on. I flicked the turn signal switch a few times, and it returned to working normally for a few minutes, and then the right signal went on again and won't cancel. It's on as long as the ignition is on. Any idea what I might have done when I took the seat off, took the tank off, tightened some cylindar head bolts, or installed the battery charger connector? It "knows" whether there's a bulb in there because when I take it out the flasher on that side blinks continuously.

I'm thinking I probably shorted something when I pulled the tank off or squeezed a screwdriver down to remove the battery connectors, but I guess it could also be the switch itself that coincidentally decided to malfunction. Removed seat, tank, and connector and couldn't find any obvious problem or get it to stop flashing by wiggling wires.

Thanks! Discouraging when, after 33 years off a bike, my first foray into motorcycle repair makes things worse!

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Right turn signal won't cancel on 2007 S40
Reply #1 - 10/20/12 at 22:22:03

DavidOfMA wrote on 10/20/12 at 17:58:59:
Discouraging when, after 33 years off a bike, my first foray into motorcycle repair makes things worse!

This,... is a test...
If you don't give up,.. you win...

I ain't buying the "coincidence" theory...
Retrace your steps... something got done that shouldn't have...
Hard to say more,.. cause we weren't watching...
... but,.. you know...
...and I'm confident you'll track it down...

I'd concentrate under the tank...
Best luck...

PS... this is also a bump,.. in case somebody has a clue... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/21/12 at 01:34:41

MIte wanna have a good look at any wires that may have been involved in that accidental shorting stuff..

Arcing & sparking around a battery is a bad plan, as the hydrogen gas they make is very explosive. IOW, dont do that. The limited access can be worked around, + lead clamps to the solenoid under the seat( tho that takes a careful aim or youll have the starter running,). -, well,, be creative, Ive been seen stripping the center of a 10" piece of wire, back off the bolt in the terminal & slip it in, tighten down, wrap the ends together & clip on there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/21/12 at 04:29:57

+1 to JOG

Have at it with the wiring diagram and work backwards towards the problem, in this case the right signal.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT Always disconect the negative terminal when working on electric

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 10/21/12 at 06:47:51

Thanks for the encouragement. Where can I find a wiring diagram? And where is the flashing unit itself locatated? In the worst case, if I can't find a short, it seems like I should be able to break the current connection and splice in new wires to the hot leads that go to the bulbs, no?

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/21/12 at 08:13:54

follow the link in my siggy
control f
enter what you're looking for will help.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 10/21/12 at 08:36:43

Thanks. I think following this and matching it to the actual wires might be beyond my current skill level, but it's worth a shot. The bike is a 2007. Any idea where I can get a wiring diagram for that year? The latest on your signature link seems to be 2004.

I'm guessing I may have messed up the flasher relay connections somehow. Any idea where that is on the bike, and what it looks like? That would be easy enough to check if I can find it.

- David
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 10/21/12 at 08:47:50

The flasher is just below the tank on the front RH corner. You can take it out w/o removing the tank or anything.
I would doubt you shorted anything but the positive on battery charger to the frame ground, which wouldn't hurt anything.....except blow up the battery had it been charging. There are no bare wires for you to short out,......is there ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 10/21/12 at 09:06:02

Right-hand facing the front of the bike, or seated on the bike? There appear to be two little black boxes, one on the brake lever side and one on the clutch side, and I'm not sure which you mean.

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/21/12 at 09:50:45

Passenger side... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 10/21/12 at 18:52:22

Okay, thanks. Brake lever side. It does look like I have to remove the tank again to disconnect it, though, and certainly to start to troubleshoot. It would help me to have a methodology for determining where the problem is: Is it the switch, is it the flasher, is it a short that makes the flasher "think" the right signal is on, etc. Sorry, I'm fuzzy on how to approach this. Some step-by-step instructions for narrowing down what to check would help a lot.

Thanks in advance,
David

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/21/12 at 19:09:57

When the turn signal switch is pushed, does that send 12 volts to the lite? Or is it supplying the ground?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #12 - 10/21/12 at 19:54:49

That's a good question and would help in troubleshooting. I had figured that the switch closed a circuit on a relay, which then sends power to the lights, but I don't really know. A mini circuit diagram just of the turn signal circuit would be helpful in tracking this down. I have found a wiring diagram for the bike, but it's too complex for me to interpret. I'll attach a scan.

I also see, that in earlier versions of this bike, the turn signal relay cabling is routed under the cusion for the tank, which makes me wonder if I might have pinched and shorted something there when I removed the tank (which took some wiggling to accomplish). I'll attach a scan of that, too.

2007_LS650_wiring.png

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #13 - 10/21/12 at 20:17:15

Here's the harness diagram that might be relevant to this problem.

1987_LS650_cabling.png

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/21/12 at 20:42:51