Send Topic Print
Battery Recommendation (Read 188 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Battery Recommendation
10/17/12 at 09:58:08

Time for a new battery. What make, model (output?), and source do you guys recommend? Any particular issues I need to know about? Thanks!

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Battery Recommendation
Reply #1 - 10/17/12 at 10:06:42

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/17/12 at 10:51:38

Avoid Ebay...
Go for a Big Crank if you can wait for shipping,... or get a Batteries Plus GelCell if you need it right away (costs about $10 bucks more)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 10/17/12 at 10:58:58

Lithium ion like Shorai or Ballistic.  Way  lighter, more powerful, much smaller,... but pricey.  The main advantage to those who don't ride every day it that they hold their charge for months, and they don't sulfate.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 10/17/12 at 11:48:18

youzguyz wrote on 10/17/12 at 10:06:42:

Trust me!  I know how to destroy equipment.
http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002527.html

OK...  Got it?  A standard Yuasa flooded battery.  3 years, 3 flattened, totally dead.  Got the Big Crank, about 4.5 years ago.  It arrives charged, I was able to ride five minutes after the UPS man handed me the box.

Over the last 4+ years I have flattened the battery about 8 times.  Totally discharged, headlight dark with the key still on.  Twice I was pissed off and connected the battery with charger at the 10 amp level so I could ride after about 2 hours.  (That was over 8 months ago, when I was still working with AT&T)

And the battery is *still* holding a charge, over a week just sitting then, cranking the bike for several minutes, wait a couple of days, try starting again, that battery is still spinning it.

I *REALLY* like the Big Crank battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #5 - 10/17/12 at 11:49:24

Thanks, my friends. Just ordered per Youzguyz' link.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 10/17/12 at 13:10:20

Serowbot wrote on 10/17/12 at 10:51:38:
Avoid Ebay...

That's a bold statement without backing it up with an explanation.

I bought this exact battery. Ordered it Sunday, August 26.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200543786531

Shipping info.

4 days. From Hong Kong.

You were saying?

I buy from eBay almost exclusively and I order from China almost as much as I order from the US. When I have a problem - which is very rare - sellers resolve it immediately. Sometimes my emails are replied to in minutes.

eBay isn't what it used to be 10 years ago. Not only is it a buyers market with crazy amounts of protection, it's where many people earn their living. They're not gonna risk ruining their livelihoods for a few bucks.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 10/17/12 at 13:14:59

I also order alot of stuff from china as well,  most of the wait time if there is any has to do with customs issues.  Most of my shipments have sailed right on through and have arrived within 1 week but on the odd occasion I have had them sit in customs for a week before they were released and sent on out.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 10/17/12 at 21:03:46

FWIW, I've been rocking this Interstate battery for over eight years and it's still going strong.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/17/12 at 22:15:43

Having had a bad experience with Shorai support (or lack of support) I can not recommend them.

IP Logged
Big John
YaBB Newbies

Savage: the new Old
Brit!

Reply #10 - 10/17/12 at 22:56:07

I like the Westco AGM sealed battery.  Very low self discharge and no leaks!

Big John
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/17/12 at 22:56:32

Paladin has one Heck of an endorsement for Big Cranks/

Good to see you back Paladin,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/17/12 at 23:09:50

Cavi,...
I bought a gel-cell/glass mat battery from a US seller...
I got a solder-in replacement utility battery (not depicted  as such),.. with solder-on tin lugs, that vibrated off, and left me stranded, 40 miles from home...
I did get my money back,.. but, it didn't help with the stranded part, and the $110 emergency replacement...

I'm actually a big Ebay buyer,... but no more for things that can leave me stranded...
Wink...

PS... I sent them an E-mail,... stating that this was not at all suitable for motorcycle use... and, would not withstand the vibration of road use...

I still have it,... if you want to buy it... $30 plus shipping... used two hours... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 10/18/12 at 00:58:35

Cavi,

Have you used that pack during the cold weather months yet?  Was wondering how well it worked.  I've been on the fence about getting a Lipo because of the cold weather issues with them.  I don't mind having to get a different charger but cold weather issue and possible issues with the onboard charging system not fully charging the battery as well has got me wondering about them.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 10/18/12 at 05:14:10

My bike was made in '06 as an '07 model, and I bought it new in August '06. The OEM flooded-cell battery is still working. A week or so ago I went to a store, mistakenly turned the key to Park instead of Off. Went inside, wandered around for a while, came back out and noticed the tail light was on. Bike started perfectly normally. I am sure the battery is on its way out, but with winter coming on I'm not going to worry about it until maybe April.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:17:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Recommendation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.