Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Is it bad to ride with choke out?" (Read 315 times)
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
"Is it bad to ride with choke out?"
10/09/12 at 04:40:08

Just last night while riding my bike start stalling out like it was not getting gas, so I opened the choke and then it ran fine. I already have a raptor petcock that I will be installing this weekend, but I just wanted to know if it is bad to ride with the choke out for the mean time ?

« Last Edit: 10/09/12 at 06:59:42 by TROX »  
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Quick Question
Reply #1 - 10/09/12 at 05:27:35

If it runs smoothly it can't hurt much. If it was running too rich, it could suffer long term problems from "cyl washdown"

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 06:36:41

You'd get more responses in your thread if you'd put something meaningful in the "Subject"

"Quick question" has nothing in it that would interest anybody.

You might consider something like, "Is it bad to ride with choke out?"

A lot more folks will want to jump on a subject like that.  You can change the subject anytime you want.

BTW, this bike does not have choke.  It has a mixture enrichment device that richens the mixture only at idle and very small throttle openings.
-- With an old-style choke, the motor could run very rich at all throttle settings, and could be harmful from the black smoke and raw gas on the cylinder walls.
-- With a mixture enrichment system, the rich mixture happens only at such small throttle openings that once you get going fast enough to need the throttle open more than, say, 1/8 throttle, the mixture enrichment circuits don't do anything anymore,.. much like the idle circuit.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 10/09/12 at 07:11:39

Gyrobob wrote on 10/09/12 at 06:36:41:
You'd get more responses in your thread if you'd put something meaningful in the "Subject"

"Quick question" has nothing in it that would interest anybody.

You might consider something like, "Is it bad to ride with choke out?"

A lot more folks will want to jump on a subject like that.  You can change the subject anytime you want.

BTW, this bike does not have choke.  It has a mixture enrichment device that richens the mixture only at idle and very small throttle openings.
-- With an old-style choke, the motor would run very rich at all throttle settings, and could be harmful from the black smoke and raw gas on the cylinder walls.
-- With a mixture enrichment system, the rich mixture happens only at such small throttle openings that once you get going fast enough to need the throttle open more than, say, 1/8 throttle, the mixture enrichment circuits don't do anything anymore,.. much like the idle circuit.

OK

1) I seriosly did not know this ... and I have rebuilt many car carbs..
2) thats cool as heck... its NOT a choke... who would have thunk???
3) it does figure.. cause really it did not behave like a choke...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: "Is it bad to ride with choke out?"
Reply #4 - 10/09/12 at 07:54:20

Once I started having to ride with it 1 click out, I knew it time to go up on the jet sizes. Or at least clean them out really well, modern gas leaves a lot of debris in the float bowl and internal passages. The pilot on mine was almost completely plugged off.

Try a little bit of fuel system cleaner or a couple caps of ATF (high detergent level like Dex3 or newer)  in your next full tank. If you still need the choke out after that consider cleaning or replacing your pilot jet (it's cheap).

One of the quirks of the model, it lets you know when something requires attention.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/09/12 at 09:38:06

Recheck the cap that you put on the carb's vacuum tap...(done during Raptor conversion)...
If it starts leaking,.. you will get a lean condition... this is why, I recommend blocking it with more than just a rubber cap (rubber rots)...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 10/09/12 at 09:40:17

He hasn't done the Raptor yet.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 10/09/12 at 10:25:48

Ain't that the truth. I've been thinking that with just about every thread on this forum.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/09/12 at 10:34:41

Gyrobob wrote on 10/09/12 at 09:40:17:
He hasn't done the Raptor yet.

Where the H, is my head at?...  Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/09/12 at 11:27:28

Routy wrote on 10/09/12 at 05:27:35:
If it runs smoothly it can't hurt much. If it was running too rich, it could suffer long term problems from "cyl washdown"

+1

WWW   IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #10 - 10/09/12 at 12:50:59

I had no idea... so it's more or less safe to leave it out at the first click if it idles better there, rather than fix whatever issue is causing it to not idle well to begin with?

IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #11 - 10/09/12 at 13:19:57

Thank you for all the help. I already have a re-jetting kit from Lancer to install due to me changing my pipe to the BCB drag pipe. I did that a while back and it has been running fine, but I guess I need to go ahead and pull the carb and re-jet while changing the petcock and just get it all out of the way.  Thanks again fellas.

IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #12 - 10/09/12 at 13:49:59

no need for raptor petcock, all you need is some golf tees... plug the line on the carb and vacuum line on the petcock and run it on prime, i did this and have had no problems

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 10/09/12 at 14:00:55

chad levert wrote on 10/09/12 at 13:49:59:
no need for raptor petcock, all you need is some golf tees... plug the line on the carb and vacuum line on the petcock and run it on prime, i did this and have had no problems

One problem with only doing that is, you do not have any reserve capacity in your gas tank, when it's empty, it's empty  Sad

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 10/09/12 at 17:27:19

chad levert wrote on 10/09/12 at 13:49:59:

Chad, you are running around without a reserve gas capacity -- which you will discover by running completely out of gas in traffic.

Raptors cost $16 and they have a 20 mile reserve built into them.  So yes, there is a need for a raptor, even for you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:14:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Is it bad to ride with choke out?"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.