Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chain drive, rear sprocket (Read 161 times)
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
chain drive, rear sprocket
10/16/12 at 12:12:40

someone told me a gs500 sprocket would fit my savage hub. it doesnt. looking for a 40,41 or 42 rear sprocket to fit my stock savage hub. anyone know of an exact model, year bike thats the same as the savage?

savage_005.jpg
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: chain drive, rear sprocket
Reply #1 - 10/16/12 at 12:38:00

It's a GS550 sprocket you need; one that fits the CAST rear wheel.
See the thread below for complete details...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1174239333/0

Wink

IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #2 - 10/16/12 at 15:03:26

i have a 99 savage ls650, that has a "CAST" hub as well?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/16/12 at 15:26:06

early 80's rear sprocket for the GS450 thru 550 should be the same bolt pattern as the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 10/16/12 at 16:19:00

These are the sprockets you need. Don't waste your time looking for bike model numbers or cast wheel whatever because there are too many variations between regions and bike models anyways. I found that out the hard way and ended up with a rear sprocket that only had a 5-hole bolt pattern.

Replace ** with the tooth count for full part number.

JT Sprockets:
Front JTF513-**
Rear JTR816-**

Sunstar:
Front 511**
Rear 2-5226**

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 10/17/12 at 16:48:34

Hate to start a new topic so I'll just add on here instead.  I was looking over the topic in the tech section on doing this conversion and saw 2 chain lengths listed for this, 110 links and taking out 2 links in the first post and then a few other posts where people were saying they ordered 122 link chains.  So my question is what length chain is needed so I don't have to get a chain breaker as well to cut it to the correct length?  My plans are to go with the 17/43 combo so I can get my revs down to a more acceptable level at 70mph speeds as that's where most of my driving is around my area.  I'm not to worried about the loss of grunt as over the winter my plans are to do a few upgrades including Lancer's Stage 1 cam, Mukuni Carb and hopefully a Lancer Overbore as well by the time spring/summer comes around again.  When I do the Overbore kit I'll also be doing some porting of the head on the intake and exhaust side and might try building my how header as well to take advantage of the performance add-ons.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 10/18/12 at 11:13:00

The chain breaker is the least of your worries - it's crimping the master that is the real problem. The length of the chain is probably gonna vary depending on what gearing you choose. Any bike shop will be able to put a chain together for you and since it can be done off the bike, it will be pretty cheap (most sport-bike chains run through the swing-arm so you need to have the bike there). I'd suggest getting whatever chain you want and have a shop put it together when you've decided on your gearing.

For what it's worth - my chain is only 106 links. I went with 17/43 for gearing.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 10/22/12 at 08:39:11

So I take it the clip style master links are not recommended then?  Well in that case I guess I can just take the bike upto the local independent shop that I trust and have them fit and crimp the chain all at once for me which will save me lots of hassle.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 10/22/12 at 16:53:40

I have a 43 tooth unopened one that will fit for $40 shipped anywhere in them USA, pm me

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive, rear sprocket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.