Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork seal question?? (Read 128 times)
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Fork seal question??
10/14/12 at 03:02:41

Where does one find a kit with all of the seals and dust shields and clips n doo dads for replacing the seals on my 18k forks? I only seem to be able to find the seals!

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fork seal question??
Reply #1 - 10/14/12 at 03:33:44

Go to ebay and buy the oil seals, use the old clip and dust seals. Im changing mine the first of the week paid 8 bucks for the pair. Unless or doing a complete rebuild all you need to stop the leaks...are the oil seals.

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #2 - 10/14/12 at 05:31:58

I seent them too on ebay, but I figured I have em open I might as well just change it all, but now Im thinking Those parts are probably going to have to be oem.  Undecided

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/14/12 at 07:26:45

Unless theres a reason for other parts, if something is a "wear" item, then yea, but I wouldnt change crank bearings if I had a rear seal leaking,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/14/12 at 07:41:44

Found a easy way to change fork seals take forks off then transfer old oil from one fork to the other this will over fill the fork install fork end cap then  placed the fork up right and under a heavy picnic table using the table as a press go slow and keep a even pressure and the seal will work it's self out can be messy then repeat other fork. I've seen this done with a bottle jack by placing the fork against a brick wall or street curb then park a car using the side of the cars rear wheel to place the bottle jack with a pice of wood against  rear wheel bottle jack fork another peace of wood then curb and you have a portable press.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 10/14/12 at 12:40:09

See reply #35 in http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/30 for a cheap and accurate fork seal tool.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/16/12 at 07:59:08

Did my fork seals yesterday, job went pretty well total time about 1.5 hours. I reused the dust boots and clips added dextron auto tranny fluid to proper level back together then a test ride.  Smiley

The tool i have always used to remove seals is a plane old flat blade screw driver, small enough to fit into the space strong enough to pry the old one out, these came out real easy...totally worn out. One note when doing this be carefull not to scratch the fork tubes...tip make sure they are bottomed out, if you do scratch the tube when installed the scratch will be high on the tube and should not cause a problem.  Wink

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #7 - 10/16/12 at 09:24:33

I if you are reinstalling the fork seals using a plastic pipe with an outer diameter of approximately 2 " and a rubber mallet . plastic pipe not  scratch the fork tubes and not hurting fork seals. plastic pipe we have sold in hardware stores.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/16/12 at 11:28:53

Go to BikeBandit and order these in addition to the seals:

Dust seals:

SEAL,DUST

spring retainers:

RING OIL SEAL S

I'm GLAD I ordered them as the spring retainers were shot when I got them out, just rusted mess, and  the dust seals were cracking. Then again, my 98 was pretty neglected and weathered when I got it.
BTW:
I also ordered new bolts and sealing washers, but you really don't need to:
FORK CYLINDER G

F FORK CYLINDER

Anyway, go to bike bandit and check out the schematic drawing of the forks or just punch in the part numbers I listed and you are good to go.

good luck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:15:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork seal question??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.