Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hook, line and sinker....... (Read 236 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Hook, line and sinker.......
Reply #15 - 10/16/12 at 06:42:16

I've gone hunting ... before and after the savage.
I've ended up ... who knows where ...
However I dont think a 1 cyl is the ideal design for the US roads and traffic realities.
That 2.5" offset triples are definetly not.
I would like to see a 2 cyl 500 like a GS500 motor in a cruiser. The single massive cylinder is a rather painful design compromise. I dont like it in the raptor motor equipped MZ skorpion either. However it is bloody light and with the 5 valve design lightning quick ... I can still flog a GS500 harder though and it is more robust overall.
A 500 parallel twin would do the savage's job quite nicely.
A 400 water cooled 4 valved Fuel injected beauty would easily do all that and more and let you never worry about carbs, and get 70 clicks to a gal.
SV 650 should have been a parallel twin.
The Kawasaki ER 650 should have had a steel frame.
And the blooming Gladius should never have been thought up by any of the bean counters on suzuki's payroll.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #16 - 10/16/12 at 06:46:45

raydawg,
Since I am a salesman, and if I sold bikes, I would tell you that you are selling yourself short by not experiencing the shear fluid, rumbling motion of a new, shiny, chrome, 24,000 cc Hairy Donaldson bike. Women love them and I have special financing for qualified buyers like you!

But I don't sell bikes so I will save the pitch. I started riding in April of this year at 62 and have ridden only two bikes, my S40 and the much bent 250cc trainer at the MSF course. I too thought I would just be learning on the S40 and would move up to a "true" road bike in the fall or next spring.

That changed when I took the S40 on a 2K mike round trip to upstate New York in early September. I kept up with Interstate traffic, enjoyed the heck out of it on the side roads, was able to walk after a full days ride, and for the life of me, can't see where a bigger bike would have done much better. It's your call but for me, I have decided just to hang onto the little Suzuki and enjoy the ride.

Good hunting.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 10/16/12 at 13:55:43

I've gone through a seriously high number of bikes in the 25 years I've been riding. Big Twins, Sportsters, Indian Chiefs and Scouts, BMW, the Japanese Big 4 brands (1,2,3 and 4 cylinder models), British twins and singles... not counting dirt bikes I've had over 100 motorcycles.

I've pared the stable down to 2 for me, 2 for my wife. I have a 98 Savage that I bought new (and kept while my 44K mile in 18 months VN800A, VN800B-Classic, and 1957 Panhead bar hopper went away) and a 1963 Honda 250cc parallel twin (with an 11K rpm redline). Lisa has a 1996 VS800 Intruder and a 1971 Honda 100cc single (that she's has since she was 10 or 12 years old, her Dad bought it for her used).

Right now all 4 are down for various repairs due to age and mileage but those 4 are what we need for how we ride. The 2 Suzukis for the highway, the 2 Hondas for everything else (both are modified Scramblers aka dual sports).

Do I want another bike? Of course, but I don't need one. Although another Kawasaki Vulcan 800A or 1500 Drifter would sure be nice to play with. But since neither are made anymore and I'm tired of dealing with previous owners' mechanical nightmares...

The Savage is capable of just about anything you want it to do. A bar swap here, seat swap there, different tires or shocks, saddlebags (or not)... there are even a couple on the board that were turned into dirt bikes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/16/12 at 16:39:41

Raydawg, once your on the ferry, a larger cc isn't going to get you across the body of water any faster.  Aside from that, you've already been a salesman's dream by trading up and believe me, those salesmen will continue to convince you, YOU NEED MORE CC'S!.  The reality, make a commitment to yourself to keep what you have for at least 12 months.  Ride it hard and as fast as you can, THEN go test ride a few larger rides.  I think, what you'll find, unless you decide to retire and tour the country, the S40 is well suited for a daily commuter.  Your mileage may very.  If you want to discuss this earth shattering nonsense in person, let me know, I'm down the road in Auburn.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 10/16/12 at 19:44:19

Hey gang.....I'm sorry if I posted in a manner that gave some the impression I was ready to get rid of my S40, heck no. I think, but based on not much experience, this will be my ride for quite some time, maybe forever in my riding sense. But I wanted to query those with experience of riding how they settled on this bike, SO, I could cement my like for it with validated, experienced, riders and ward off any of my emotions or unscrupulous sales folk who say chicks dig guys who have a big CC's tween their legs  Embarrassed or sumtin like that.......

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 10/16/12 at 20:29:45

Most guys here don't give a flick what others say.
We ride this bike cause we want to.  It speaks to us in ancient ways.
We can wrench it, we can polish it, we can paint it.   Cool
Why can we do that?  cause it's a low cost bike made with metal parts.  would you learn mechanican on a $30,000 hardley?  no, and you're worried about the polishin'... got to be HD issue polish.  Roll Eyes

And when comes to riding, you full control over the beastie.  Some of us here can put sport riders to shame.  So it's capable and you can pick it up if it tips over.   Huh

But if you're trollin' for chicks... you don't use a yugo for bait, get yerself a corvette.  But if you do snag a chick with a savage... she's not there for the bike, she's there for you.   Cool

So, what do you tell a salesman?  I got 6 GF's, this was the only bike they won't ride b!tch on.  'You need a bigger bike'  The b!tch notched over the bike the other day (wanted another round) and I picked it up myself.  Put one of those down and I'll see if I can pick it up.  And hey what does it take to maintain that iron?  That'll surely get some blank stares, or some BS... show me.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:26:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hook, line and sinker.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.