Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hook, line and sinker....... (Read 236 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Hook, line and sinker.......
10/13/12 at 21:21:09

I was wondering if I'm a quick mark, the one the carneys love to see walking down the midway????

Ok, not so cryptic, might help, eh  Grin

As a new rider, old but new, it seems the bike manufacturer markets to us with the hope of always trading up to a more expensive ride. I started just over a year ago with a Rebel, quickly coming to an understanding, having ridden past the initial concerns (fears) with the miles clocked, that I needed more bike. Even tho I told myself the 250 served its need, 23 miles of total commuting each day, a bigger bike would be better, and it is, but, my commuting dollars don't stretch as far, and consider I bought a new bike, sold it for less, and bought another new bike, I'm pushing the original reasoning off the concious thought map  Undecided
Perhaps the one element I didn't consider when I decided to ride out of necessity (ferry lines and waiting took forever in a cage, go to the front of the on a bike, half fare) is that I'd come to love riding itself for its  shear joy  Kiss
So, what's next for me, more CC's as I "expand" my horizon, or do you guys find a grove and stick with it?
I love the bike, it seems my riding style with its torque on the turns and hills where I live, but again, its only my second bike so I compare it to nothing.
So how did you guys start and settle where you are now with this bike, if you don't mind sharing with me?
Presently I plan on keeping this bike and learning all I can to maintain it myself, right?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hook, line and sinker.......
Reply #1 - 10/13/12 at 22:26:05

Once we free ourselves from the Madison Avenue , Edward Bernays brainwashing, we can choose for ourselves what we really want. Only man fears loss, or failure to achieve "The Best he can have". Is there something you need from a bike this one doesnt offer? Are you sure bigger is what YOU want? Are you absolutely certain smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient wouldnt be better? Or, maybe a different engine design, still a 650? How about the Kawasaki W 650? No cam chain, vertical twin, chain drive, standard seating position, valves are shimmed,.
Very well built machine. So well built, they cost so much that they only imported them a few years, they didnt sell well,,but they last very well..
Or is "TRading up" just expected of us?

Hard questions, arent they?  The exposures we get influence us. No gettin around that,, That many of the things we get exposed to are designed to influence us in a particular direction is just part of living in this society,its up to us to realize we are very subtly pressured to "want" certain things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/13/12 at 22:32:25

Many of us, have ridden the ladder up the bigger, better, faster, chain,... and devolved back down to the practicality of the Savage...
Your path, is your own...  try something new, if you feel the need, and have the resources...
There's a lot of neat options out there...
The Savage seems to me, to be the option with the most pluses, and the least minuses...
No matter what you ride,... there will always be bigger, faster, smoother, or lighter, nimbler, more economical...

Truthfully,... the stock Savage, is not that great for me personally.... but it has great bones, and I've found what I was looking for in it...
No other bike that I see in current production can do that for me...

It seems to be a good balance of size, weight, power, and economy...
The rest,.. is very flexible...
It's all about balance...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/14/12 at 03:49:34

Adding to what JOG and Serowbot touched on, RayDawg you need to know what you need/want without outside influence before you can truely be happy with what ever you decide to ride.........   This may take time. How about finding dealerships within reach to you that offer test rides, that way  you can try different types of bikes and riding possitions and start to see if YOU feel you need something else.  It's especially tough since you haven't ridden alot of bikes and don't know what you may be missing out on, or know how good you hve it on the LS650   Smiley

For me I wanted a Thumper and something that needed minor maintenance, the LS650 does this and more for me. Eventually when my son is in school and I have more time for myself and wrenching I'll probably add a Royal Enfield UCE to the garage since I like a standard riding possition better then a cruiser and love the old Britt bike looks  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 10/14/12 at 09:05:24

GREAT replies guys, thanks. Upon reflection I think my first inkling to pressure and doubt, and directly it went to my ego and pride, was the chiding I got with the rebel, for its size. But when a new bike with only 3000 miles on it needed a new top end, under warranty, but without a ride for 3 weeks, only to get it back with issues and a failing clutch, I had a perfect excuse to get rid of it, and get something that in all honesty, fit better, proving those guys laughing at me prior, right.

I recall the first time pulling from a side road, onto a 50 mph main drag (still only one lane each way) and after I committed I saw a car coming fast that I missed at first glance....I rolled the throttle at first opportune and rode away from danger at a speed not possible with the rebel. A piece of the puzzle fit, as to applicability to what one rides, for what reasons, sorta like it gave me another golf club to use in my bag.....  Cheesy
As an inexperienced rider, I'm sure more of these equations exist too,  but I'm presently ignorant to their presences. Armed with that knowledge, or lack thereof, I feel I'd be an easy target to a good salesman, if I was to stroll into a shop wanting to test ride different bikes, yes?
I honestly feel this will be my ride for years, doubly so if it appears as easy to maintain as you guys proclaim. All I've done to date was remove the seat, to remove and re-install the rear blinkers on the new side rails, for the stock backrest, to attach my backpack to, and affix my old windscreen that I adapted from the rebel to the 650, gottta have that to knock the cold away from me during winter, tho I rode it without, and enjoyed it much, without it, I won't do w/o it in winter, it seems to raise the temperature 30 degrees or more.

Nah, I think I've found my gal to dance with, I do..... I just wanted to see how my mindset (thinking) jived with you who have years of experience riding different bikes....she is a sweet bike, I love the thump, even the BF'ing and farting gives it a distinct personality, just wish it had a fuel gauge or trip odometer.....

Again, thanks guys, love the support you all freely lend. Hope some day I can reciprocate

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/14/12 at 10:07:28

I also sought the dream of the "bigger bike" and tried twice to get a better bike than the Savage.

XV 535 Yamaha (a very rare bike) and a SV 650 Suzuki .....

Both were supposedly short people's bikes that rode well enough -- but in each case they were bigger than the Savage and didn't handle as well (for me anyway).

So, now I still own the same Savage I started out with.

LOTS of people on the list have gone hunting the better bike.

Guess where we wind up back again in the end.

Cheap advice.  

Don't sell your Savage while you are out hunting (unless you just have to).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/14/12 at 11:28:48

I recall the first time pulling from a side road, onto a 50 mph main drag (still only one lane each way) and after I committed I saw a car coming fast that I missed at first glance....I rolled the throttle at first opportune and rode away from danger at a speed not possible with the rebel

Having the power to cover such a mistake is important. I know Ive pulled the same stunt. On a Rebel, I woulda either got hurt or the driver woulda had to do some good driving,Id rather have a reasonably gutsy ride,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 10/14/12 at 12:28:19

I like my s40 a lot.  I don't have any experience on other bikes.  I never think I need a bigger bike ...

except for a second or two when I see a biker girl riding one in a parade of "manly" harleys! Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/14/12 at 13:01:11

RawDawg there are a number of options for an odometer, the easiest and least expensive being a digital one. A good amount of the guys here have them, and although there's really no option for a true and easy fuel gauge alot of the digital odo's have functions that help you keep track of mileage/when to fill up knowing your average gas mileage   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/14/12 at 13:11:37

the veypor vr1 actually calculates gas consumption and displays a gas gage.

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 10/14/12 at 15:03:32

Sweet....I will be looking into that option. Seems as I age I forget to do things that use to come as natural habits....not until people complain about a foul odor generating from my space do I remember I forgot to complete the job. Gee, that might account for the flies that seem to call the seat on my bike, home   Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hook, line and stinker.......
Reply #11 - 10/14/12 at 15:30:50

gonna have to change the name of this thread... "hook, line and stinker"

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Hook, line and stinker.......
Reply #12 - 10/14/12 at 16:30:48

verslagen1 wrote on 10/14/12 at 15:30:50:
gonna have to change the name of this thread... "hook, line and stinker"

Grin

Oh poop, you're right  Tongue

But we could start a new thread, on a new mod, to the bike.....and don't say that depends!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 10/15/12 at 11:23:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/14/12 at 11:28:48:
I recall the first time pulling from a side road, onto a 50 mph main drag (still only one lane each way) and after I committed I saw a car coming fast that I missed at first glance....I rolled the throttle at first opportune and rode away from danger at a speed not possible with the rebel

Having the power to cover such a mistake is important. I know Ive pulled the same stunt. On a Rebel, I woulda either got hurt or the driver woulda had to do some good driving,Id rather have a reasonably gutsy ride,

Then by that account, we should all buy Hayabusa's and live long healthy lives    Cool    Just like living within your means economically, ride within your bike's performance parameters.  Safe defensive riding involves recognizing where circumstances can go wrong and avoiding them.

Finding a "perfect bike" is no more possible than finding a perfect car or truck, however, you can find the best one for given circumstances.  In other words, if you were riding down the Baja for 1000 miles on dirt, you would probably not choose a Goldwing.

I've had bikes from 50cc to 1400cc for various types of riding and road (or no road) conditions, but I couldn't say there is any such thing as a one-does-all.   I find at my age, the Savage is a good short distance day rider, and for the occasional weekender campout with friends, but there is no way I'd cross the country on one.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 10/16/12 at 03:57:40

This bike is the low cost leader in the Suzuki cruiser lineup, so it is saddled with the cheapest components like brakes, seat, suspension, etc.  However, it is not difficult or expensive to upgrade the comfort, handling or power options.
I ride it because I love the power characteristics of a big single, having been bitten by this bug years ago when I bought a '56 BSA Goldstar flat track racer.  It ran like a wild animal, and I loved it.  It was fast and maneuverable and ran everything else off the road at the time.
The Savage was a similar creature, though totally civilized compared to the Goldstar, but it does respond well to all sorts of upgrades for power, suspension, handling and comfort.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:25:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hook, line and sinker.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.