Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting the header pipe (Read 159 times)
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Painting the header pipe
10/11/12 at 05:59:32

so I've started painting random chrome parts on my bike with a flat metal ceramic grey.   I like!  I was at pep boys and saw some engine paint that withstands 1200 deg or something like that.  I wouldn't call myself a painter by any means but I keep thinking about painting the header pipe black with this paint.  my pipe is terribly blue (and yellow and purple) and just doesn't look that good.

Has anyone used this kind of paint?  can it just go on top of chrome?  is it easy???

thanks

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Painting the header pipe
Reply #1 - 10/11/12 at 06:09:49

I, personally, have never had any luck with any coating on any exhaust.
I've cooked 2500* ceramic coatings with my cars.
I used the 1200 degree on my C50 and it held up for about a week before it started to flake off. I rushed the job, didn't prep or prime it though. Just wanted to see what it'd look like in black or if I'd have to buy chrome pipes.

Scuff it with 80 grit, high temp primer, high temp paint.

--Steve

IP Logged
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/11/12 at 06:38:19

thanks. not sure if I want to give it a go.  i'm guessing you pretty much destroy the chrome if you decide to paint??

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/11/12 at 06:40:41

Do you actually want the pipes a solid color or do you just want the blue discoloration gone?

There are a few products that work quite well to remove discoloration from enhaust pipes that don't cost a ton and just take some time and elbow grease. (Blue Away, Blue Job, Blue buster..........)

If you just don't want chrome pipes anymore you might want to consider wrapping or having them ceramic coated professionally.  The paint is not likely to hold up long term even if you prep it properly.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/11/12 at 07:07:53

1200 degree paint is for cylinder heads, burns right off of manifolds and motorcycle head pipes. Works great on mufflers and tail pipes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 10/11/12 at 07:49:26

The only long-lasting solution for the exhaust header is to have it commercially coated. (something like Jet-Hot High-performace coatings)  This will cost somewhere between $200 and $500.

If you want to try it yourself, you'll have to sandblast the chrome on the header pipe, do the whole pipe.
-- It needs to be a satin/matte finish for the paint to hold on to.
-- It must be absolutely free of any matter at all,... no dust, no fingerprints, no discoloration, no NUTTIN!!!!  If you do have it sandblasted, treat it like you must keep it sterile.  Don't touch it with anything other than clean rags.  Only touch it on the inside of the pipe.

After it is painted, find some way to stick it in the oven and bake it to a few hundred degrees for an hour or so.  If you can't do that, stick a heat gun (a hand-held hair dryer on steroids) in one end and let it run for an hour, then the other end for an hour.

I fly gyrocopters.  On climbout, the exhaust headers on those 2-stroke aircraft motors get orange hot for a few minutes.  The only rattle-can paint that ever held up to that abuse was Dupli-color Hi-Heat.  Even that stuff, though, would require a redo every few months.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #6 - 10/11/12 at 19:02:39

Yeah VHT rattle can paint is fine for the muffler (I used flat black satin on my jardine)... but it is not a good idea on ur header pipe. I have a white, chrome & black thing going on my bike. Clean is the key!!! For the side covers I used black gloss 500 degree stuff because they do get kinda hot. If you paint the headlite case or the battery box cover be sure to use the plasticoat paint. Happy Sprayin  Cheesy

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 10/11/12 at 21:10:47

Monster, I used Auto Zone Rustoleum high heat primer and high heat flat black around 1500-2000 degrees. About $10/can. My header was off for other repairs, and it was turning blue, so I painted it. I put it in a wood vice and did most of my sanding with a Skil Sand Cat belt sander and a really rough sanding belt. I sanded it in around 15 minutes. Most of that was hand sanding on the inside of the curve where the sander wouldn't fit. It was a warm day with plenty of sun and little humidity. I put on a couple of coats of the primer and waited between each about an hour. Then I carefully sprayed on a few coats of the of the flat black paint waiting again between coats. That was around 5,000 miles ago. Still holding up great. Don't spend a lot of money if you don't need to. Rough it up good, and it will stay.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #8 - 10/11/12 at 21:24:24

Boofer - can you post a pic of your painted header? I'd like to see how it came out. Thanks!

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 10/11/12 at 21:50:21

Waiting for it to dry. Last coat was smooth, and as I said still looks like new. I didn't worry about getting to the bottom of the chrome. Just made sure it was all roughed up.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/12/12 at 05:24:28

When I put the O2 sensor in a used pipe I took it and they sandblasted the chrome off.  I then painted it with Rustoleum 2000 degree flat black paint.  I did not have an oven big enough to bake it - so I used a heat gun a couple of times and warmed it up by blowing heat into the end of the pipe.  I carefully mounted it and then started the bike and ran it for a minute to warm the pipe....then shut it off.  I did this a couple of times....then finally went for a ride.  For the next couple of rides I kept noticing that new bike smell when I would stop, and then realized it was the header pipe still giving off the smell.  The paint seems to be holding up just fine - but I don't ride in the rain and the bike is stored inside.  The flat black paint is hard to keep clean, and any time you touch it with oily or wet fingers it leaves a shiny spot that sticks out like a sore thumb.  I think a satin black would be easier to keep looking nice.  I really can't comment on how durable it is when it gets wet or is stored outside.

Here is what it looks like....the silver is never-sieze that came off the O2 sensor, and it is baked on!

IMG_0442.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/12/12 at 16:56:49

thanks for all the replies.  i think i'm going to go the route of wrapping it instead.  seems way easier.  My dyna should be here in a few days, i can't wait.  I'm a total noob but i think i should also get a K&N like this one??? http://www.amazon.com/SU-6595-Suzuki-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B000E2...

also, new jets??  can anyone point me to where i can find them?

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/12/12 at 18:26:25

Paint it first if you're just gonna wrap it.
Double your pleasure.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting the header pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.