Send Topic Print
Help PLEASE!! (Read 183 times)
DarrenUK
YaBB Newbies

UK Thumpers

Lincoln, England
Help PLEASE!!
10/10/12 at 08:02:44

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me as I'm now losing the plot!

I've got a 1997 LS650 that I've been restoring over the last few months, I've stripped it down to the frame and rebuilt it replacing various parts. I've changed the head gasket, replaced all the gaskets for the the covers etc, stripped the carb and put new jets in and the white spacer mod, installed a verslagen cam tensioner, forks rebuilt, front brake rebuilt, metalwork respray and loads more. However i've now got a major problem.
After roadtesting the bike and it running sweet I booked it in for MOT, the day came and I got a mile down the road and the b##tard thing cut out and I couldn't start it. Angry
I came onto the forum and checked out what it could be (Cos this forum's worth its weight in diamonds!!) I've performed the vacuum pipe mod/test and run on prime, I've checked the spark which I wasn't happy with (I had a new Iridium plug in when it died so I put a new regular plug in) Put it back together and it ran great.
Tooik it out for a test ride today, first 8 miles around town ok (no more than 30 mph) then took it on a dual carriage way, first 2 miles at upto 50 mph ok, coming back took it to 55 - 60 and the feckin engine cut out!! Couldn't start it again so had to push it the 3 miles back to the workshop!  :'(

Got back to the workshop, checked to see if fuel was flowing from the tank, YES, checked to see if fuel was in teh carb by loosening the bottom bolt, YES. Engine turns over, bike WON'T Start.

HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS??????

Could it be the coil that's dying/dead or anything else electrical??
Could it be a carb problem??
Or is the bike just out to make me greyer and more grouchy??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Help PLEASE!!
Reply #1 - 10/10/12 at 08:09:16

Check your wires to your coil...VERY CAREFULLY.I had a similar problem and the orange wire to the coil came loose in the connector that plugs onto the coil.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/10/12 at 08:14:01

Step 1.  Check battery voltage while cranking.  It is possible that it will have enough oomph to crank, but not enough volts left over for the CDI to work.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 10/10/12 at 08:14:52

And check that the ground wire has a firm connection.  It's located almost directly behind the clutch arm.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/10/12 at 08:46:40

serenity3743 wrote on 10/10/12 at 08:14:52:
And check that the ground wire has a firm connection.  It's located almost directly behind the clutch arm.

Hey serenity, Long time - I finally remembered who was it that stopped by and saw my cheater chopper.

Anyway I have a maxim front end on a savage - its not done yet but the FE is on there. Twin disk ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/10/12 at 09:39:12

In order for an engine to run...it needs 3 things.  Fuel, compresson and spark.  When an engine stops running....find out which one of those is missing before you tear anything apart.

Compression is easy to test.......put it in gear and try to push it, or use a compression gauge.

Spark is easy to test.......pull out the spark plug, connect it back to the wire and rest the plug on the head, and crank it over and watch for a spark.  You could also use an inductive timing light and see if you get a pulse on the light.

Fuel Flow....sounds like you did that check and the fuel is getting to the carb.

If the bike is not running right now.....check the spark and let us know if you have a spark or not.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 10/10/12 at 15:48:56

As mentioned, check connections, specifically the white/orange wire.  I've seen the same issue in failing coils and condensers.  They may operate normally for the first 15-20 minutes of the ride, but once they reach a certain temperature they fail.  Next time that the coil fails, test the spark again.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/10/12 at 16:33:47

check your safeties.

some times a weak kickstand spring will let it drop or you inadvertently kick it with your heel.

WWW   IP Logged
DarrenUK
YaBB Newbies

UK Thumpers

Lincoln, England
Reply #8 - 10/11/12 at 07:55:44

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I've got it all sorted now (Fingers x'd) the wire from the generator/stator was trapped between the battery box and the belt, green wire totally rubbed thru!
Wire musta popped outta the airbox recess when I re installed the battery box  Huh

Off for MOT tomorra.

PS, does anyone know where to get a Raptor 660 petcock in the UK??

Cheers again, DT

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #9 - 10/11/12 at 08:16:20

Good to see you've got it all sorted out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petcock-Gas-Valve-Fuel-Switch-Yamaha-ATV-Raptor-YFM66...

That's one of many on ebay that have free standard shipping worldwide.  Simply search for "raptor 660 petcock" then click on advanced search.  Scroll down, and you can select to show only items that will ship to your location.  As always, confirm with the seller that they will indeed ship to your location.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/11/12 at 09:11:03

DarrenUK wrote on 10/11/12 at 07:55:44:
I've got it all sorted now (Fingers x'd) the wire from the generator/stator was trapped between the battery box and the belt, green wire totally rubbed thru!

Ground wire to the CDI

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help PLEASE!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.