Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transmission interlock? (Read 176 times)
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Transmission interlock?
10/09/12 at 17:30:46

Quick question:

Does the Savage have a transmission interlock that prevents starting if the bike is not in neutral?

Today I was stranded for about an hour because my 1999 Savage would not start.

The green neutral lamp was not illuminated and the starter would not engage with clutch pulled in.

I suspect a dead battery and attempt to "jump start" the bike but could not established continuity.  It appeared I had an open in the electrical system.

I then noticed my headlight was on which prompted me to play with gear selector and the neutral light came on and I started the bike!

I know that the bike will cut out if you put it in first gear with the kickstand down...but I thought I could start the bike if I pull in the clutch if the bike was in gear.

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: Transmission interlock?
Reply #1 - 10/09/12 at 17:48:18

bike will not start in gear if the kickstand is down, bike will not start without the clutch pulled. The kickstand and clutch switches can go bad and cause the bike to not start even with the stand up and clutch pulled. These can be bypassed.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 19:37:22

+1.  Kickstand can be down but bike has to be in neutral and you still have to pull in the clutch to start, once running you can release and let it idle in neutral. This is my normal warm-up routine...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/09/12 at 19:39:41

Unless the bike doesnt KNow it is in neutral.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/09/12 at 21:02:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/09/12 at 19:39:41:
Unless the bike doesnt KNow it is in neutral.

a hammer will tell it whatever you want it to know  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #5 - 10/09/12 at 21:11:07

Or like the rest of us bypass the switches when they go bad or before.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/09/12 at 21:31:31

Sidestand must be up and clutch pulled in to start, if it starts with the side stand down someones already bypassed it

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 10/10/12 at 05:24:31

Bypassing safeties is very seldom a good idea, regardless of the "It might fail and leave me stranded" mentality. With perhaps a couple of exceptions, all of us are human and all of us make mistakes. If the safeties are working correctly they are "transparent" in the sense that if you do what you are supposed to do you will never notice them. If you do notice them, chances are you have made some mistake.

True, it is possible for any of the safety switches to fail. True, knowing how to bypass them TEMPORARILY is a good idea. But then, when you get home, repair them and don't leave them bypassed. The old adage about safety rules being written in blood is true. Safety interlocks are generally an engineering way to keep people from making the mistakes that have gotten others hurt or killed.

OK, you old school "simple is better" guys, flame away. And don't forget to put in the part about the "nanny state rules."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/10/12 at 05:39:53

at Charon -- + 1.  I would much rather look the fool by going in gear with the kickstand down and having the bike die then taking off riding that way and having the bike pogo off the kickstand in a left turn.

Here is what I know about the switches:
Clutch switch.  Must pull in clutch to START the bike.  Zero effect on bike running (.. duh ..)

Kickstand switch - when kickstand is down.
If bike is in neutral, bike starts and runs.
If bike is in gear, will not start, will not run.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 10/10/12 at 06:15:10

The larger bikes like the 800 Intruder have the transmission switch, haven't delved deeply enough into the Savage's wiring to see if it does or not. I know there was a rash of interlock switch failures in the tech section of the Intruder forum. And it is not a switch that can be easily bypassed, rather hard to get to. If the neutral light comes on, and the other switches have been bypassed yet it still won't crank... it has an interlock that needs attention. Or a relay somewhere has failed or is failing.

The big problem with the clutch and side stand switches is their permeability. They aren't weather tight, so they corrode from the inside out. The side stand switch on mine was kaput at 2 months of riding on the Gulf Coast. Salt air + high humidity = dead switch. I autopsied mine, the little contacts inside were rotted to the base plastic.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 10/10/12 at 06:36:00

Best I can tell the Savage/S40 uses the neutral light switch and does not have a separate switch to tell the interlock the bike is in Neutral. That switch supplies a ground in Neutral; an open anywhere else.

I understand that the clutch interlock switch is exposed. But so is the front brake light switch, and I don't seem to see many complaints about that. The rest of the switches on the handlebar (High/Low beam, horn, starter, flash-to-pass, flashers, kill switch) are also hanging out in the breeze. I am not sure about the sidestand switch, but I believe it is located somewhere under the seat and is actuated by a cable from the sidestand. The rear brake light switch is also located pretty low, and is exposed to the weather. It doesn't seem to me that the interlock switches would be any more exposed or any less reliable than all the other switches on the bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/10/12 at 06:59:49

Charon wrote on 10/10/12 at 06:36:00:
I am not sure about the sidestand switch, but I believe it is located somewhere under the seat and is actuated by a cable from the sidestand.   

Nope.  There are two wires that go down to the sidestand, and there is a little plunger that is depressed when the sidestand is up, and that activates the switch that is located right down there in the footpeg/sidestand mount.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 10/10/12 at 07:09:30

I stand corrected. Apparently I misconstrued comments about the connectors being under the seat to believe the switch was there, too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #13 - 10/10/12 at 09:10:27

WD wrote on 10/10/12 at 06:15:10:
The big problem with the clutch and side stand switches is their permeability. They aren't weather tight, so they corrode from the inside out. The side stand switch on mine was kaput at 2 months of riding on the Gulf Coast. Salt air + high humidity = dead switch. I autopsied mine, the little contacts inside were rotted to the base plastic.

I see what you're saying,but I have to add YMMV. My Savage is a 96,which was purchased in Mobile,AL and has lived here all it's life.
So far the switches haven't failed.It had 5200 miles on it 2 years ago when I got it from the original owner and now has 22000 miles on it.
As much as I hate it,it has had to live outdoors the whole time I've owned it. I live about 10 miles from the Gulf.
Of course now that I said that,they probably will all crap out at once! Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/10/12 at 09:14:10

Things like this are at the whim of the assembler.
how much grease is applied will make a big difference.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:19:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Transmission interlock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.