Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 100 mm ?
Reply #15 - 10/12/12 at 07:03:21

The weight of the counterbalance and the weight of the piston are completely different.  The piston works back and forth on a stroke of 94mm, and the crankshaft has counterweights built in to help reduce the vibrations.  The counterbalance shaft and weight works at twice the crank speed and spins around on a much smaller radius.  The piston does not care what the counterbalance shaft is doing.....and because the counterbalance is not part of the crank the counterbalance does not really affect the stresses in the crankshaft/piston/rod.  The counterbalance works through the crankcase to reduce the amount of vibration getting to the frame.....and if the balance is not exactly right you will just get a bit more vibration in the frame......not a deal killer for the weight changes in this scenario of going from 94mm to 100 mm - especially when Lancer says the weights are very similar.

When I had my bike apart I wondered about the weight of the flywheel?  It seemed really heavy, and one of the things that people do when they want to accelerate faster is take some of the mass off the flywheel.  The big weight helps to keep the speed of the big single steady - so cutting down the mass would allow more speed variation and make it easier to stall at low rpms when letting out the clutch to get the bike moving.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 10/12/12 at 11:18:26

Suzuki's GR650 Tempter had what they described as a "variable mass flywheel." If I recall correctly, it was supposed to have higher mass at low RPM, presumably to make the engine smoother. At some speed around 3K, apparently a centrifugal clutch disengaged part of the flywheel so the engine could accelerate more quickly. It also had "Twin Swirl Combustion Chambers" and used an oil jet spraying the bottom of the piston crowns for better cooling.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/13/12 at 09:34:44

ZAR wrote on 10/11/12 at 19:48:02:
Quoting OldFeller "None of which is simple,easy or cheap".

Gee OF, if we wanted that we'd be driving a Chevette or a Pinto! Or whatever the modern version of those are!

The modern USA version is the Chevy Spark, I have one and it is a pretty nice car.

The concern with the liner being that thin is heat and distortion, this would be better as a liquid cooled engine where you can control the heat better. An interesting mod. for as long as it works, but I doubt it will go 50,000 miles, or even 25,000 before the sleeve starts to shift in the aluminum. This is a problem with boring out the Buells and why most of the aftermarket jugs have thicker sleeves with the base machined to fit in the case. I don't think 1.5mm will be too thin, that's around what I have with the 1050 kit on my Buell, the rings never really touch that part so there should be no force in that area.

In the quest for bigger displacement, what cylinders will fit if the case is bored? What are the options for a stroker crank/conn rod?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 11/08/12 at 05:26:07

Updates?

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #19 - 11/08/12 at 20:49:11

Is that thing really gonna be able to breathe through the stock valves?  Guzzi small blocks all had the same heads...350 to I think the 650's, maybe even the 700's, same cases too.  But they were all Heron heads so flow was their big issue.  I was gonna pull the trigger on your 97mm kit...maybe I'll wait a bit.  Anyone know the weight of the flywheel?  Seems like 1or 2 lbs shaved off wouldn't be too bad.  I've heard of some Enfields going minus 5.  Anyway this thread is in my fav's...wanna see what happens

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 11/09/12 at 05:13:06

This is going to be a longer term project because this engine will be built with spare parts and at this point I have a bottom end, cylinder and piston, but no head yet.
Since boring to 100mm is going to stretch the engine beyond accepted safe limits for dependability, I will not use this on a current functioning bike.  This TEST will be considered a "thow a way" engine.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 11/09/12 at 08:01:19

Charon wrote on 10/12/12 at 11:18:26:
Suzuki's GR650 Tempter had what they described as a "variable mass flywheel." If I recall correctly, it was supposed to have higher mass at low RPM, presumably to make the engine smoother. At some speed around 3K, apparently a centrifugal clutch disengaged part of the flywheel so the engine could accelerate more quickly. It also had "Twin Swirl Combustion Chambers" and used an oil jet spraying the bottom of the piston crowns for better cooling.

I own a good many of these ... 1 of which even ran ... it was a GR in a GR frame and - well original GR. All the rest are GR motors going into GS500 frames.
Anyway that disengaging flywheel may have been the real reason the GR650 was a 1-2 year only bike. It is jekyll and hyde. I know of someone who bypassed it in his 851 build of that bike, (as in it is staying light, he's removed all the parts that come apart) in a GS frame ... and I am thinking of fitting it with the disengaement locked shut, as in, its heavy all the time.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 11/09/12 at 08:19:04

Tempter is a twin, not a single. People need to stop comparing the Savage to every Suzuki 650 they see, only the Savage is a single. The heavy high-mass flywheel on the Savage is to keep the engine spinning during the very long period between firing. Without the high-mass flywheel, the engine will need to idle much faster.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 11/09/12 at 17:19:30

Another Suzuki Tempter, not sure of the year but it is the early version of the LS650 or 400 engine
Look at the R side engine case, cyl and head and header
drum brakes front and rear

'83 GR650 Tempter....totally different look from the our 650 engine

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 11/09/12 at 17:44:39

Lancer, those Tempter pictures remind me of why I ride a Savage. It comes from a time when Motorcycles were works of art to me. Now I walked by a new Honda crotch rocket of undetermined size in a parking lot yesterday. Beautiful white wheels and lots of nice, clean plastic. I liked it because it's a motorcycle, but it's not as good looking as mine. Both those Tempters are beautiful.

Now, for the piston deal. Have you seen the "wraps" the NHRA requires around the dragster engine/transmission? Better get one.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 100 mm ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.