Dial-a-Jet??? (Read 276 times)
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Re: Dial-a-Jet???
Reply #15 - 10/10/12 at 13:02:59

So you are saying with our engine running lean will operate cooler?  Running very lean is even cooler?  I do not believe that.  There may be more to it for a/c engines but I will stick to lean = hotter for this application.  I can be convinced otherwise with more info but the heat that damages valves/pistons is from a lean mixture.

IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #16 - 10/10/12 at 13:53:37

Got it. Put a Dial-a-Jet on my airplane. Cool.

Wait. What? I think I'll just stick to jetting my bike the old way. I figured if it looked that easy it probably wouldn't be worth trying. Not for that price, anyway.

As far as lean vs rich mixtures- I'm understanding that if I run too rich- backfires in the exhaust pipe. But what Verslagen said was (if I got it) that running lean also equals unburned mixture, which also means backfires...? I got lost somewhere. Rich= extra fuel= fuel burned in exhaust. Lean= extra air= ....air burned in exhaust? I thought I understood carbs- I've rebuilt the one in my 66 Mustang a couple times- but now I'm confused. darn liberal arts degree screws me AGAIN.

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 10/10/12 at 18:57:31

dmj13 wrote on 10/10/12 at 13:53:37:
Got it. Put a Dial-a-Jet on my airplane. Cool.

Wait. What? I think I'll just stick to jetting my bike the old way. I figured if it looked that easy it probably wouldn't be worth trying. Not for that price, anyway.

As far as lean vs rich mixtures- I'm understanding that if I run too rich- backfires in the exhaust pipe. But what Verslagen said was (if I got it) that running lean also equals unburned mixture, which also means backfires...? I got lost somewhere. Rich= extra fuel= fuel burned in exhaust. Lean= extra air= ....air burned in exhaust? I thought I understood carbs- I've rebuilt the one in my 66 Mustang a couple times- but now I'm confused. darn liberal arts degree screws me AGAIN.

Just start off so lean it runs rough,.. then richen it in little steps until it runs smoothly.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 10/10/12 at 18:57:53

tarkm812 wrote on 10/10/12 at 13:02:59:
So you are saying with our engine running lean will operate cooler?  Running very lean is even cooler?  I do not believe that.  There may be more to it for a/c engines but I will stick to lean = hotter for this application.  I can be convinced otherwise with more info but the heat that damages valves/pistons is from a lean mixture.

okay

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #19 - 10/11/12 at 04:22:57

Thanks, Gyrobob. Notice you're in Newnan. I used to spend some time up there with the Nat'l Guard company located there. B 2-121 Infantry. One of my very good friends is the company commander. Great town, lots of support.

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 10/11/12 at 15:55:24

Since Amal makes the necessary parts for the carb, I had this wild idea about changing out the necessary parts to make my bike compatible with higher ethanol mixtures and the Dial-A-Jet was part of that scheme.  Be EXTREMELY careful when tightening any screws.  Part of the plastic split on mine.  I abandoned the idea and don't use it anymore.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 10/11/12 at 16:32:01

Savage_Rob wrote on 10/11/12 at 15:55:24:
Since Amal makes the necessary parts for the carb, I had this wild idea about changing out the necessary parts to make my bike compatible with higher ethanol mixtures and the Dial-A-Jet was part of that scheme.  Be EXTREMELY careful when tightening any screws.  Part of the plastic split on mine.  I abandoned the idea and don't use it anymore.

Did you call Lonn at Thunder Products about the split plastic ?
I think he would be able to help you; perhaps replace the damaged part.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 10/12/12 at 15:46:20

LANCER wrote on 10/11/12 at 16:32:01:
Savage_Rob wrote on 10/11/12 at 15:55:24:

Did you call Lonn at Thunder Products about the split plastic ?
I think he would be able to help you; perhaps replace the damaged part.

I honestly figured I'd just be told it was my fault and I was already so pissed off at the time I would not have remained calm, so I just didn't even try.  I still don't know if it was just a cheap piece of crap part or if I wasn't gentle enough with it.  I don't generally overtorque things but it is always possible.  I probably should've tried but I'm sure it's FAR too late now.  It's been years.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:29:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dial-a-Jet???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.