Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dial-a-Jet??? (Read 276 times)
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Dial-a-Jet???
10/09/12 at 20:12:33

I ran a search and came up with nothing, so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone had experience. So, Dial-a-Jet: http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

Anyone use one? Heard of it? Think it's a horrible idea? Makes sense to me, but then again my first girlfriend in college made sense for a while, too. So did that last shot of tequila last Friday. I'm trying to avoid any more hard learned lessons. Cool

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dial-a-Jet???
Reply #1 - 10/09/12 at 20:33:45

If you wanna avoid hard learned lessons, let me offr you one little point of wisdom.. Be VERY careful in the sand trap.. those rakes are Murder..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 20:35:28

I solved that problem years ago when I decided drinking beer was much more fun when I didn't do it while trying to play golf.

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/10/12 at 04:30:23

I don't believe the Dial a Jet works all that well on a CV (Constant Velocity) carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 10/10/12 at 05:11:46

I have one and it works just fine. It does exactly what they say it does.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 10/10/12 at 06:10:39

The concept looks valid to me.

However, I don't like the way they display a lack of understanding about mixture and temperature. It makes me wonder a bit about who wrote the description.  Surely the inventor knows about the relationship between mixture and temperature.  

"Motorcyclists often discard their standard air filter and install a high flow air filter. This will upset the air to fuel ratio making the engine run even leaner and hotter. Custom exhaust systems are usually lower restriction which also causes the engine to run leaner and hotter. The combination of the high flow air filter and the low restriction exhaust system substantially alters fuel flow requirements, leaning the engine and raising the operating temperature."

Leaning or richening the mixture lowers the combustion temp on either side of peak temp.  

That said, I am still intrigued by the idea.

I wonder how hard it would be to take it one step further and hook it up to an oxygen sensor or something to automatically adjust the mixture,.. sort of like what a fuel injection system does.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #6 - 10/10/12 at 11:11:46

I was under the impression that a lean mixture will tend to be much hotter than optimal mixture. Yes?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 10/10/12 at 11:13:23

tarkm812 wrote on 10/10/12 at 11:11:46:
I was under the impression that a lean mixture will tend to be much hotter than optimal mixture. Yes?

No.  This is a common old wives' tale.  Optimal mixtures create the most energy, and, therefore, the most heat.  Mixtures leaner or richer than optimal create less energy and therefore less heat.

IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #8 - 10/10/12 at 11:19:14

Then this " old wives tale " is perpetuated everywhere.  Anything I've ever read says lean = hotter.  That said I am always open for being corrected.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/10/12 at 11:35:53

Gyrobob wrote on 10/10/12 at 11:13:23:
tarkm812 wrote on 10/10/12 at 11:11:46:

No.  This is a common old wives' tale.  Optimal mixtures create the most energy, and, therefore, the most heat.  Mixtures leaner or richer than optimal create less energy and therefore less heat.

This certainly is the case for a/c engines, but I wonder if it directly translates to m/c engines.  You've told us how the engine loading is different, and I don't know whether the engines are muffled or not.

I do know that under stock conditions on our bikes the pipe will turn purple, change the jet for a larger one and it'll only go gold.  As our mixture goes lean, the mixtures fails to burn in the cylinder.  This left over gas collects in the pipe and will burn later, some times very noticeably.   Cool

This burning creates heat that may not exist in a/c engines as with the higher altitudes the back pressure is lower and the less oxygen is induced up the pipe.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 10/10/12 at 11:42:27

The Dial-a-jet does not "sense" via a "sonic signal" that the mixture is too lean, and then "fill in the gaps" where you've left your jetting too lean.. that's BS.  In my experience, the dial-a-jet is a brass tube that dumps more fuel (and some air, depending on where you set the dial) into the carb throat when intake velocity is high.  With the stock CV (constant velocity) carb it probably won't do anything.  With a VM36 or TM40, it is probably about like screwing in a larger main jet, with the small advantage of being able to set the increase in the main jet size externally.  

Don't waste your money and don't be a lazy-ass. Just tune your bike with the correct main jet size.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/10/12 at 12:16:56

Come on Gyro, both of us in that old discussion were getting our data from air cooled aircraft engines because the data existed (they adjust their mix ratios on the fly and they have head and plug and oil temp gages already set up).   And by golly they have DATA for all that sorta stuff !!!!

..... and we can't have a good discussion without data, now can we?

Same sources said later on that running lean under heavy loads could cause a holed piston and require an emergency landing (you do remember me pointing that out, don't you?)

Quite a bit of difference between running at steady state (aircraft engines run steady rpms and steady loads at cruising speeds) while your are cabin fiddling with your optimum mix ratios ....

..... and a motorcycle engine that never ever has a steady load or a steady rpm at any time on the particular road that you are on.

Motorcycles live in the world of trade offs, and I think one trade off that we do is to run mebbe a little leaner lower down (cruising range) and nominal to rich on the WFO throttle setting to make sure we don't damage our engines under heavy loads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/10/12 at 12:28:33

To me,.. Dial-a jet,.. just adds one more complexity to deal with and to break down...
KISS... Keep it simple, Stu... Huh...

... and,.. way over priced...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/10/12 at 12:31:51

Well that may change what I have always thought about engines being lean/rich.  I thought that when an engine ran too lean and was burning exhaust valves, spark plug insulators and piston crowns....that it was running with the most heat of combustion.  And that when you richened the mixture up a bit the engine ran a little cooler and nothing burned.

It may be that when the engine is too lean the left over air/oxygen can burn the hot metal away.......as there is no fuel left to burn.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 10/10/12 at 12:44:08

Oldfeller said, "they adjust their mix ratios on the fly and they have head and plug and oil temp gages already set up"

And what do those gauges show when the mixtures are changed?  They show lower temps at rich mixtures and lower temps at lean mixtures and highest temps at 14.7.

In our motor, the carb is a fairly crude instrument, compared to computer operated FI systems.  The best we can do is operate as lean as possible while still having a smooth running motor.

If I were messing around with jets, I would start with an obviously lean situation,.. running not so smooth, and then richen it in gradual increments until things smoothed out.

If running lean were risky, and caused engine damage, why would those many thousands of light-plane operators, whose air-cooled engines are worth a year's pay for most us, intentionally operate lean of peak?  They do that because the engines last longer, due to cleaner burning and lower temps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dial-a-Jet???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.