Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying (Read 688 times)
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying
10/02/12 at 09:32:16

Hi all, new to the forum.

I have a 2009 boulevard s40 and have had a problem which has been steadily getting worse over the space of a year.
Hostory of the bike is that the previous owner fitted a used motor from a 2005 due to some damage on the original that Suzuki fought hard not to pay out on warranty.
The bike came to me with the motor, it is standard apart from a k&n air filter without any carb re-jets.

The bike has always run a little lean due to this and had some popping on the overun.  However this aside the bike would go for an hour then shudder and grind to a halt....this has steadily been getting worse until recently the bike could die within 10 yards or 10 miles....

I have done the following so far;
- cleaned out the carburettor
- cleaned the gas tank and filters
- tested the gas cap for breathing problems

I have not yet got into the emissions side of things and found a tip over valve, (if this model has one).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Re: 2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying
Reply #1 - 10/02/12 at 09:55:46

tested or replaced your petcock?  that seems to be a sore spot on these guys.  i went and replaced mine with a raptor 'before' it gave me any issue.

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #2 - 10/02/12 at 10:09:11

Purchase this petock:
Yamaha RAPTOR 660 FUEL PETCOCK Part # 5LP-24500-01
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200655694620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

Then watch this on how to replace the petcock. It's a three part video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgQeLjYFNA

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/02/12 at 17:04:51

You could try the Serobot test to check your petcock, just post an new thread, Serobot test". The Raptor petcock is cheap enough anyway, you will need vacuum plugs and try and ride down to resrve before draining the tank.

OF     Serowbot Test is here, very useful information comes from this test, literally cuts the world of possible troubles in half it does.   Any "fuel related" problem should start out with a Serowbot Test (wait for the new person to come back with the results before going on to other things -- half of them won't be needed -- and which half is real is always good to know)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1    

New persons with issues should stay with the ONE THREAD approach, this way the helper persons can read the entire history of the problem(s) before responding with the help.   If the new person is keeping multiple treads going, part of the info we would need is NOT THERE for us to read.

Don't ever tell a newbie to fragment his stuff into multiple threads ....
It makes helper persons and moderators start looking like this

IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/02/12 at 22:36:20

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have tested the petcock today with a mitivac and there is a good flow.
The bike runs great except for this cutting out and dying problem.
I have altogether done the following;
- Cleaned the carb and set the float height
- Checked for any vacuum leaks
- Checked valve clearances
- Checked all emissions hoses, canister and fuel stop valve.
(The canister had quite a bit of gas in it...should this be the case)??

So that's where we are at guys....if it shows these symptoms more I will have to start to think it could be electrical....maybe the coil breaking down under load?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/02/12 at 22:48:36

& did you use the gauge on the mitivac to check how much vacuum the engine creates & thenb subject the diaphragm to that amount of vacuum or did you just use a tool that creates vacuum & suck the diaphragm over with it with 5 times the vacuum the engine makes?

YOu gotta know what vac the engine makes..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/02/12 at 23:11:37

next time you have the problem put it in prime.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/02/12 at 23:25:49

wernwilk wrote on 10/02/12 at 22:36:20:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have tested the petcock today with a mitivac and there is a good flow.
The bike runs great except for this cutting out and dying problem.
I have altogether done the following;
- Cleaned the carb and set the float height
- Checked for any vacuum leaks
- Checked valve clearances
- Checked all emissions hoses, canister and fuel stop valve.
(The canister had quite a bit of gas in it...should this be the case)??

So that's where we are at guys....if it shows these symptoms more I will have to start to think it could be electrical....maybe the coil breaking down under load?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Me, I'd suggest reading the tech thread that you were provided and then doing the test that was specified.

The gist of which was to put the cast in place arrow on the lever pointer pointing towards PRIME and set the plumbing up like this:

Why, because it is a specific test that does a lot of things and tells us a lot of information.  

You can do anything you want with a mitivac and as Justin points out, you have told us nothing because you didn't do the test as specified.  You might have run the risk of overextending your diaphragm by too much suction (yup, it has happened even when people suck on the line with their lips and lungs) and causing yourself a possible new issue with your vac petcock.

Try reading the thread   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1  and doing the test and getting back to us with the results.  

Give you a clue, you either say "nothing changed" or "it ran better", and you have to run it in Serowbot Test Mode for at least two gas tank fulls of gas set up like the picture before you make any judgements on "same or better".  

This isn't a one shot fast test.   Fuel starvation events are occasional and take several things happening for them to occur -- so the test for this takes time for the same several things to occur again and again (weeks of chances for it to all line up again and again).

And please do follow the pointer arrow to find PRIME, on some petcocks the arrow is reversed to the overall direction of the lever (lots of years, several petcock suppliers over the years, some petcocks are marked differently).  

« Last Edit: 10/03/12 at 08:58:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/18/12 at 17:11:17

Hi all,

update on the problem I posted a while ago.
I have done the following since;
- fitted the raptor petcock to eliminate that
- adjusted the fuel/air screw to smoothen out the idle
- removed and inspected the emissions cannister and all valves/fittings
(There was gas in the cannister when I did this....am I correct in thinking there should only be vapours in there and not gas)?
- Blew through the breather in the tank
(I have noticed a small vapor release noise once the bike has been ridden...so there is a vapor lock in the tank as it releases when you remove the cap.....Does the cap breath itself or does the tank breath through the emissions system?

The bike is still running lean which i understand is common with these.  Please note that the bike has a K&N filter and to my knowledge has never received an upjet.

Is rejetting the way to go?  If so which size jets/kits are recommended please?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #9 - 10/18/12 at 18:37:16

You must rejet with K & N no question. Too lean and will hurt your engine if not addressed. I have one on my S40 and one on my VOL. Dodge truck also but that's a horse of a different color.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/19/12 at 10:07:25

wernwilk wrote on 10/18/12 at 17:11:17:
- removed and inspected the emissions cannister and all valves/fittings
(There was gas in the cannister when I did this....am I correct in thinking there should only be vapours in there and not gas)?
- Blew through the breather in the tank
(I have noticed a small vapor release noise once the bike has been ridden...so there is a vapor lock in the tank as it releases when you remove the cap.....Does the cap breath itself or does the tank breath through the emissions system?

California models do not have vented gas caps, all vapors are supposed to be trapped by the cannister system which is then sucked clean by engine vacuum when the engine is running.

Filling a California model too full with gas at the pump can result in liquid gas getting into the vapor tube which leads from gas tank to vapor cannister.

If you have a gas cap that actually SEALS the gas tank opening air tight, then you have the only one known to exist.   (not joking here)   Everybody else has caps that weep gas when they fill the tank too full.

Somebody conversant with taking the gas cap apart lead him through disassembly and the location and size of the bleed hole on normal models.   He has the option of taking all that crap off if it is bothering him so much.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wernwilk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/19/12 at 14:58:53

Update,
Today I carefully stripped and inspected the gas cap...all seemed well and squeeky clean.

I also tried a mod I heard about a while ago which was to remove the plastic washer from the top of the jet needle...this definately helped a little but there is still some surging.

so, from here I will have to decide whether or not my friend should either;
- Get a jet kit, (dyno or other)
- Leave the jetting and get a $50 or so OEM air fliter

MORE WORRYINGLY - the bike died on the ride twice on the freeway..about 6-7 miles in on the freeway with the bike at almost WOT it died, as though the gas had been cut off completely.
I clutched it and once stopped I removed the gas cap and listened for any hiss...I could not tell because of the road noise but could not hear any.  I tried the starter and it fired right up.

Then after the next 4 miles or so it happened again - this time after rolling to a stop I tried the starter without removing the gas cap and it fired up and ran again straight away.

Could it be the emissions system that is doing this?  If so, how do I eliminate the system - I assume I cut the pipe from the tank low down and let it hang like a normal breather....then I assume I disconnect the purge side of the system from the carb and blank of the carb intake nipple?

Or does anyone think it could be a coil breaking down under load - it would seem odd that there is no cool down time needed for the bike to start up again!!

Any and all help very much appreciated.  The DYING of the engine on freeway is by far the priority for me at the moment.

Thanks.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 10/19/12 at 15:55:42

If your bike has CARB emissions on it, remove the tubing that comes from the fuel tank, for that is where the problem is. I had the exact same thing happen with my Rebel, and it had a new top end under warranty installed. It died the very same day I got it back from service. Those canisters are charcoal and once you have carbon restriction they don't draw enough air anymore. Junk.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/19/12 at 16:15:31

Disable the clutch and kickstand safeties and see if it cures the problem.

or keep your foot off the kickstand.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 10/19/12 at 21:13:55

wernwilk wrote on 10/19/12 at 14:58:53:
.....I also tried a mod I heard about a while ago which was to remove the plastic washer from the top of the jet needle...this definately helped a little but there is still some surging.....

wern,

FWIW, I removed my spacer completely several years ago, when I lived in Houston, TX, and did not know about this forum.  It made my bike run too rich....I fouled a few plugs.  I reinstalled the spacer.

IHTH!

« Last Edit: 10/21/12 at 18:45:47 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 00:16:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2009 Boulevard bogging down and dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.