Whiff this..... (Read 102 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Whiff this.....
10/09/12 at 03:28:45

On occasions, while at idle, etc, I can get a whiff of petrol while mounted, could it be my fuel cap vent? Its not very strong, very subtle, but I did a looky round to nothing. As to the vent, the tank is not vented with its own dedicated line, right, just the cap itself?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Whiff this.....
Reply #1 - 10/09/12 at 03:56:03

I'd be dissapointed if I didn't get the occasional wiff of gas while on my LS650   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 05:46:57

The cap vents in as the gas is going out. It will also vent out if the tank ever becomes pressurized,......not likely while riding.
I'd look for a gas leak.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/09/12 at 06:02:52

raydawg wrote on 09/23/12 at 20:24:39:
Is this the one that fits?  

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/1?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=+5LP-24500-01-00&x=21&y=9&p...

Do you know if I install this now while my bike is under warranty, it might void it possibly if, heaven forbid, I have a major issue with it?

I do suspect some fuel issues already, at 900 miles, I've had it poop out (dying) while slowing to a stop, and it seems I need to keep it top off, for the most part, as I've ran out once and had to swith to reserve while under way, but I'm use to a trip odometer to warn me where my fuel use it at  Tongue

And now you are sniffing gas smells  ....  are they coming from your air box?

You and Colorado Girl both have new bikes with budding vac petcock issues which started before 1,000 miles was out.   Doesn't say very much for the quality of the parts being put together in those not-built-in-Japan-any-more bikes, now doesn't it?

In any case, you are under warranty.   Take the bike in to the stealership you bought it from (and let them pick your pocket for $60 several times without fixing anything) then do what you gotta to do to fix your real issue.  

That will take 2 hours and $16 of your hard earned money and you already know what it is and where to buy it ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LTZ-400-LTZ400-Fuel-Gas-Petcock-Valve-Switch-P...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 10/09/12 at 06:08:33

At a stop with the engine idling, engine heat might rise and warm the tank, or sunshine might do the same. Either will cause the tank to vent air and gas vapor through the gas cap. California bikes have a dedicated vent line running to a charcoal cannister.

I long ago got into the habit of filling the tank on my bike at the last gas station on the way home, so they always sit with full fuel and are ready to ride. When I stop at home and leave the bike on the driveway for a bit, it is very usual for the tank to make a singing or whistling noise as engine heat and/or sunshine warm it. I think that noise comes from the vented fuel cap.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 10/09/12 at 06:47:07

The cap vents in as the gas is going out. It will also vent out if the tank ever becomes pressurized,......not likely while riding.
I'd look for a gas leak.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:23:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whiff this.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.