Winter\Fall Gear (Read 190 times)
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Covington,TN (near Memphis)
Winter\Fall Gear
10/06/12 at 12:08:38

I'm just curious as to what gear everyone uses in the fall\winter months(october-marchish).  I live near Memphis,TN and got my bike last winter. Got a pair of these gloves  http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Gloves-/Xelement-Basic--Waterproof-Padd... and even with a lining, they still froze. Had to get the hand warmers to be able to ride in dec\jan.  My jacket is fine, especially when I have a pullover on underneath it, and I have lined leather chaps. I recently found and purchased these mitts on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scooter-Hand-Mitts/dp/B0022ZJJSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie... and went riding with them today (hovering around 45 ish, with some wind) and just had fingerless gloves on. They did great ...and for the price, appear to be just as good as hippos.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to what everyone else wears, uses, etc. Or  if they just drain their tanks and carb and put it up for fall\winter.

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Re: Winter\Fall Gear
Reply #1 - 10/06/12 at 12:38:38

I have been riding back and forth to work for about 15 minutes on the highway at 60 MPH at about 45 degrees.  I ride in my Northface jacket, snowboarding gloves, Underarmor face/hood, and regular pants with long underwear.  If I was going to be riding any longer than the 15 min to work I would add my snowboarding pants over the top of my jeans.

I don’t like the mitts you have over the controls that seems unsafe to me.  Just my thoughts.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/06/12 at 12:42:47

When I rode in NY in the winters I had a heavy 5mm thick leather jacket usually with a sweatshirt underneath, 5mm leather chaps, Parachute boots with steel toes which helped deflect the cold alot, and thick leather gloves with gortex lining. The gloves took a while to break in and get them to the point that they felt loose and comfortable, but 20+ years later I still have them and they are great. Also I would condition all my leather with honey conditioner, it helped soften the thick leather, makes it last longer and conditioned it for the rain and snow.  

For NC now a good 5MM leather jacket with a liner, fleece lined jeans, decent boots and my old gloves are all I need  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/06/12 at 12:52:19

put some water proofing on them.
I know you said they're waterproof, but if the air is blowing thru them, they won't be warm.

WWW   IP Logged
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Covington,TN (near Memphis)
Reply #4 - 10/06/12 at 14:42:37

@gdrseeker -- I thought this might happen as well,  based on seeing them initially. but after putting them on and going for a ride around the block (to test turning and slow braking), I have a full range of motion and accessibility. the turn signals take a bit of getting using to (around the block), but everything did quite well.

@verslagen, what would you recommend using?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/06/12 at 15:15:45

I've used Doc Bailey's leather care on my jacket and boots when I want to freshen the black

mink oil from time to time just for treatment

neatsfoot oil is recommended

and I've used snoseal on plain gloves to good effect

WWW   IP Logged
TobyJug
YaBB Newbies

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Reply #6 - 10/06/12 at 17:50:08

I wear one of these and it's been below freezing temperatures in the mornings around here lately.  Nice and toasty.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-BELSTAFF-HORIZON-RIDING-JACKET-10-US-BLACK-BLUE-/3...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 10/06/12 at 18:59:17

I live in Colorado Springs, CO.....and I ride all year 'round, 'cause I no longer own a cage.

I've been using Hippo Hands knockoffs for years:

In fact, I just installed 'em for the cold season today, as it was in the high 30's with a nasty wind.....overcast, too.  In addition, I wear winter gloves with decent-sized gauntlets.  On really cold days, I wrap my hands around the barrel when waiting at stoplights.  That works well and feels good.

I use a wind resistant jacket (an old Nomex flight jacket) with layered sweatshirts underneath.  I wear long johns under my jeans.

I wrap a long scarf around my neck and also have a helmet skirt (SWMBO makes 'em for us):

If it gets really cold, that's when I put my Sorels on:

I grew up in Minnesota.....everyone has snowmobile boots up there.  I've had my Sorels for almost 40 years and they still rock....no problems shifting or anything!

This all works well for me until the temperatures drop into the single digits.  I've ridden long distances with temps that low, but I had to resort to my electric vest, electric gloves, down parka, and ski pants.  That was on other bikes, as my Savage is not wired for electrically heated clothing.

No, if it is 8 degrees F and I need to ride my Savage, I just accept the fact that I'm going to get cold.  The Hippo Hands and the snowmobile boots minimize any chances of frostbite (BTDT!).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #8 - 10/06/12 at 21:06:34

I used to tease "out of state" people that most Minnesotans are given their first "SORELS" at their "baby shower".

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/06/12 at 21:29:04

I was just asking about heated gear. Research conducted two weeks ago shows I'm ok with 47 degrees but I draw the line at 42 degrees.

20 minute ride to work at 6:30 AM.
Full thermals, jeans, boots, shirt, leather jacket, balaclava (which I didn't even think about until someone here mentioned), and Mechanic's brand gloves. I did find my old Fox racing full finger gloves but haven't had a chance to try them. Just had a week of rain and this morning was nice enough for the fingerless.

I'd like to try a heated vest or jacket or liner. Still haven't looked into the wire that someone suggested.

--Steve

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 10/07/12 at 09:52:13

Hey neighbor, I'm just down the road from you in Rosemark. I've ridden out west in 10*F and colder. Lined gauntlet gloves, heavy lined leather jacket, heavy leather chaps, Chippewa "jack boots", hunting socks over polypropylene liners, polypropylene long johns and a 3/4 helmet with flip down face shield. Works fine but if the fingers got cold I'd just pull over and hold the cylinder for a couple minutes. Or on my v-twin stick one glove at a time over the muffler outlet and warm my hands at the other one.

Swing by some time, 2 of us here rode year round in Washington for years, you can check out what weight of gear works in real winters. Most of it will be available at BMW, Triumph or HD.

We're at the old plantation on Deadfall, right on the Tipton Shelby line, the little house is mine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 10/07/12 at 20:46:57

Winter gear:  long johns, insulated bib-alls,hooded sweatshirt, fabric jacket with liner, wool socks, neoprene(?) balaclava, snowmobile gloves over my leather gloves.  

I figure I'm good down to a little below freezing, upper 20's.  That's for a 45 min commute.  If it gets much colder, we usually have slop on the roads anyway, plus it takes so long to bundle up/undress/change....

I keep thinking I ought to get some hippo hands or rig up some kind of "There I Fixed It" subsitute.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 10/07/12 at 21:08:00

I just added three 12v size N power ports.  1 for an electric jacket.  1 for GPS.  One spare.  

I'll have some heated hand grips installed within a few weeks.

For really cold temps, I wear a USAF old-style nylon winter flight suit with a thin rain jacket over it to remove the chill factor.  The electric jacket is only needed every once in a while underneath THAT outfit.

The helmet has the neck cover that velcros shut.  This reduces wind noise some too.

For gloves I use larger than normal thinsulite lined gloves to keep airspace inside,.. and then rain mittens over that if it is really cold.  The rain mittens remove chill factor,.. sort of the same effect as hippo hands.

For boots I use something windproof and large enough to keep some airspace inside.  Boots that fit too tighly reduce circulation and make it easier for the heat from your feet to get sucked away.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 10/08/12 at 11:16:19

I am thinking about some chaps for winter wear. I have to wear dress slacks and dress shirt to work. So far the leather jacket keeps the top warm enough. But the slacks sure aint cutting it... I saw some 1.5mm leather chaps with zip-out liner... should that work?? its MS and yes 50 is cold when the humidity is 77%.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 10/08/12 at 17:47:07

Pine wrote on 10/08/12 at 11:16:19:
I am thinking about some chaps for winter wear. I have to wear dress slacks and dress shirt to work. So far the leather jacket keeps the top warm enough. But the slacks sure aint cutting it... I saw some 1.5mm leather chaps with zip-out liner... should that work?? its MS and yes 50 is cold when the humidity is 77%.

For that purpose, I'd use snowmobile bib overalls .

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 17:11:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter\Fall Gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.