Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?! (Read 258 times)
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Re: This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?!
Reply #15 - 10/18/12 at 05:40:26

[quote author=5374757F7A577A6D72681B0 link=1349760993/0#11 date=1349800839]Tire tread definitely makes a lot of sense.  Given that they are 11 yr old stock tires that I've been delaying replacing, I could definitely see that.  That's kinda what I was hoping for, but I wanted to check with the old-timers to make sure I'm not missing anything important...  Like a loose axle!

Thanks, guys.

Your riding on 11 year old tires??????   (OF deleted the rest of the strongly worded comment)

« Last Edit: 10/18/12 at 09:02:12 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #16 - 10/18/12 at 06:39:14

They only had 1600 miles on them when I bought the bike, the cracking isn't very deep at all, and the bike was stored inside all of the time.  The deterioration really hasn't been that bad for how old they really are.  I still plan on replacing them this winter, though.

Could be worse.  On the Honda SOHC4 forum, I've seen some people ride on 35+ year old tires!   Shocked

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 10/18/12 at 09:28:07

The Honda SOHC4 forum has folks on it that restore old Hondas to "factory correct" and they will spend a lot of money on original and authentic.   And this includes the exact correct tire that was shipped on that year.

I rode up to this past Dragon with a guy named Bill that took a beater 550 honda four all the way back to "factory correct" and the bike now sits on a dealer's showroom floor next to the offices as a very pretty floor ornament.

Many many man hours spent searching out parts, and he admits he has more in the restoration than the original bike cost new.

Some folks get off on that stuff, us, we tend to ride our Savages.

==========

There is a legal age limit on tires of 3 years, you can't sell them at retail past that point.   Say add 2-3 years to that to get you a recommended max useage life ..... what 5-6 years total?   Not really stated as such, but some use it as a rule of thumb just like a tire was a jug of milk or something.

If you were tubeless, you would not be able to get a tire that is severely age cracked to hold air very well.

However, our tires are tube type tires and the tube holds in the air so we have heard periodically about some very age cracked tires being used up by some folks.

The gripping rubber ages like the cracked sidewall rubber, so you can expect an age cracked tire to be somewhat reduced in wet gripping force and cornering force.  You don't see cracks on the thread portion as the rubber is constantly wearing off the tire (cracks never have a chance to form on the tread).

Old "expired out of date" tires do increase your wet weather and cornering risks in some vague fashion.  

HOWEVER, anyone who has actually worn out a Metzler ME 880 H series front tire has likely been riding for YEARS and YEARS and years on a technically out of date tire (yup, they last that durn long).

==========

Reality here on the list

We oldtimers snap up them good Motorcycle Superstore 3 year "age out" sales all the time on bike tires.   I bought multiples last time when a really good sale came by on rear tires and the last one left from that buy was like 6 years old when it came out of the AC'd upper closet and went on a bike.  

It looked new on the side walls when it came off the bike a year and a half later.   But it was stored correctly all those years (tires like the same temperatures that you do).

Reality here on the list is we tend ride those old tires until the tread is plum gone ....

Reality is ....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/18/12 at 09:42:40

Mine always sing on the road again sometimes life is a highway... Smiley

Yep always a smartarse...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 10/18/12 at 10:00:17

My bike doesn't know the words... it only hums.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #20 - 10/18/12 at 10:18:44

Fair enough.  You get all kinds over there.  People who want factory correct, bobbers, choppers, cafe, and just plain running bikes.  I still can't wait until I have enough money to finish building my CB500 so I can RIDE it!!  Don't worry, I made sure to put fresh tires and tubes on that one.   Tongue

I knew going into this that the tires are old and need replacing.  Like I said, It's not like I plan on wearing them down to the nub.

Could be worse; I could be shaving them down smooth and using shoe polish to fill in the cracks, Burt Monro style.   Grin

Oh, and no offense taken from Cavie's statement.  I've got thick skin, AND I'm wearing my big boy pants!

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/18/12 at 10:29:57

HondaLavis wrote on 10/18/12 at 10:18:44:
I still can't wait until I have enough money to finish building my CB500 so I can RIDE it!!  Don't worry, I made sure to put fresh tires and tubes on that one.   Tongue

I got a '71, fresh rubber was the 1st thing, now I'm rebuilding the front caliper and I need to replace the brake arm pivot and spring that the PO lost.  then I'll be registering it.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 10/19/12 at 20:52:58

Cavie wrote on 10/18/12 at 05:40:26:
.....Your riding on 11 year old tires??????....

Actually, I'm still using the original front tire on mine (see signature block) and it's over 12 years old (mold date of July 2000)!  It's about down to the wear bars, though, and I've got a new one on order as we speak.

No cracking at all, still works fine......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.