Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?! (Read 258 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?!
10/08/12 at 22:36:33

I know, I'm nothing but trouble...

So the wife and I were on an evening ride.  On the way back from dinner, we stop to fill up on gas.  At this point, everything for the past 50 miles has been normal.  After filling up and leaving, I noticed this weird noise.  I would describe it as a resonating "OOOOOOH" type of noise.  My wife noticed it as well, but she called it more of a whine.  I heard it from up front, but she thought she heard it in the back.  It definitely only happened when I leaned around 40 MPH +/- about 3 MPH.  It was significantly more prevalent during a left lean than a right one.  Different pavement didn't seem to matter.

I stopped at the next gas station, shut the bike off and looked at everything.  Brakes appear normal, all spokes have tension and are fine.  Tire PSI was 30 in the front, 37 in the back, so all normal.  I didn't see any abnormal wear.

I may have a chance to go for a ride with my helmet cam tomorrow before work.  If so, I'll do that so I can post up the noise.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?!
Reply #1 - 10/08/12 at 22:39:33

wheel bearings problem need grease or are ready to go bad on you.

check the axle torque too.

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 10/08/12 at 23:09:29

WOAH!!!  I hope my wheel bearings aren't going out at only 4,500 miles!!  The only way to grease these bearings is to remove the wheel from the bike and repack the bearings while they are still on the wheel, correct?

I checked axle torque for both front and back.  Front and rear both passed above minimum TQ spec.  I made sure to have the pinch nut loosened while checking the front so that it wasn't holding the axle in place.

Thanks for the response, Verslagen.  Last thing I need is a bearing to fail at a rather inopportune moment.   Shocked

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 10/08/12 at 23:16:09

I'd guess wheel bearing whine as well but I'm honestly thinking you are nit-picking way too much. This is a very simple carbureted bike.

Remember back before zoloft/prozac/ritalin/etc when we called these differences between us "traits" or "characteristics" not problems? I have a feeling that's what you're doing with your bike. You're treating your bike like these traits are problems. They're not problems.

People are riding around on 25 year-old Savages with original wheel bearings so if you are complaining about almost unnoticeable throttle hesitation or a little bearing whine on a cool day; the problem is you. Leave it alone or get a different bike because clearly this isn't the bike for you.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 10/08/12 at 23:34:44

I see where you're coming from, Mike.  If the bike had been doing this for the past 2K miles I've rode since summer started, I'd call it a characteristic.  Shoot, If it had done it all day yesterday and all night tonight since we had our cold snap this weekend, I'd consider it a trait.  The fact is that while character traits are unique, they also have constants.

My headlight rattling and buzzing around mid-range is a trait.  The funny squeak my intake makes when I whack on the throttle is a trait.  The poof on shutdown that I STILL have is a trait.  These things have always happened, I know when they happen and how and why.  The new, odd noise that starts at the end of a ride is not an existing characteristic; it's something new.  You'll notice that in my first post I NEVER said the word problem.  That's because I don't know whether or not it is.  That is why I'm here, my friend.  Is this a symptom of something that needs to be addressed, or is this the beginning of a new characteristic?

Granted, I AM a bit paranoid...  but that comes from working on aircraft and seeing things fail and break all the time.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/09/12 at 02:59:13

Even if the brakes appear normal, check the pads.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 10/09/12 at 05:52:31

Yes indeed, tires can "sing." I think you are hearing the noise made by the tire treads. That it changes when you lean tells me the tires are getting worn flat in the middle. That the noise differs depending on which way you lean tells me the flat spot in the middle isn't precisely in the middle, also normal. When you lean you are getting onto a less worn part of the tread, and the tread pattern on the sides differs a bit from the pattern in the middle anyway. That it seems to happen only at a certain speed tells me there is probably something on the bike itself that seems to amplify a certain frequency, sort of like the speedo buzz at certain engine speeds.

Tire noise is made by the edges of the tread grooves hitting the pavement. Car tires are usually made with tread patterns that vary in spacing as they go around the tire, to break up the noise and avoid resonances. Particularly obnoxious examples of tire noise usually come from jacked-up pickups or Jeeps with knobby tires running on pavement.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/09/12 at 06:12:09

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/09/12 at 06:58:49

Gears whine, bad bearings growl, tires........can do most anything.

Its tires in a turn.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 10/09/12 at 07:04:33

wish I could offer a suggestion.... but I do like your avatar!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 10/09/12 at 07:46:24

Gotta go with Charon, it's the tread depth on the tire shoulders. By 4500 miles there should be an easily noticed difference in tread depth from the center outward. Cruisers don't use as much of the tire as sport bikes do, they tend to lean a whole lot less frequently/aggressively.

And the older/drier/harder the tire shoulders get, the noisier they tend to be.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 10/09/12 at 09:40:39

Tire tread definitely makes a lot of sense.  Given that they are 11 yr old stock tires that I've been delaying replacing, I could definitely see that.  That's kinda what I was hoping for, but I wanted to check with the old-timers to make sure I'm not missing anything important...  Like a loose axle!

Thanks, guys.

Pine wrote on 10/09/12 at 07:04:33:
wish I could offer a suggestion.... but I do like your avatar!

Yeah, don't you just want to help her get her vest on? She just wants to ride!  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/09/12 at 09:48:06

Pickups with 6 ply tires sure "sing",,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #13 - 10/09/12 at 18:14:17

I'm gonna say belt wine. Mine does.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 10/17/12 at 19:58:49

Charon wrote on 10/09/12 at 05:52:31:
Yes indeed, tires can "sing." I think you are hearing the noise made by the tire treads. That it changes when you lean tells me the tires are getting worn flat in the middle. That the noise differs depending on which way you lean tells me the flat spot in the middle isn't precisely in the middle, also normal. When you lean you are getting onto a less worn part of the tread, and the tread pattern on the sides differs a bit from the pattern in the middle anyway. That it seems to happen only at a certain speed tells me there is probably something on the bike itself that seems to amplify a certain frequency, sort of like the speedo buzz at certain engine speeds.

Tire noise is made by the edges of the tread grooves hitting the pavement. Car tires are usually made with tread patterns that vary in spacing as they go around the tire, to break up the noise and avoid resonances. Particularly obnoxious examples of tire noise usually come from jacked-up pickups or Jeeps with knobby tires running on pavement.

+1

This has happened on every street bike I've owned in the last 40 years and 350,000 miles.......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:31:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › This is NOT a trick question: Can tires SING?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.