Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ultra Lightweight OEM Battery Replacement (Read 298 times)
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ultra Lightweight OEM Battery Replacement
09/23/12 at 18:09:03

Antigravity Batteries manufactures a line of very lightweight lithium batteries to directly replace the most common OEM versions, in some cases up to 8 pounds lighter.

But what's the stock S40 battery designation?  I'm having a little trouble deciding which of these is exactly the one I need.  Ideas, fellas?

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=2267

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Ultra Lightweight OEM Battery Replacement
Reply #1 - 09/23/12 at 18:18:05

The size is a lot smaller, too, so all you have to worry about is cranking capacity and terminal placement.  Use the one they say is powerful enough for 600-700 cc motors, and that has the terminals on the same side as your current setup.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 09/23/12 at 20:19:40

Stock battery is 190 CCA and 14 AH.  Anything with 130 CCA and 6AH or greater will be plenty for starting the bike.  The Antigravity YTZ7S-8 provides 240CCA/9AH, and is the same size as the Batteries Plus Extreme XTAZ7S AGM that I just bought and used for my mini-battery mod (which provides 130CCA/6AH).  I actually wish I had seen this battery a few days ago...

Don't get too worried about the terminals.  The round terminals are just pre-threaded, so all you have to do is insert the screw and not worry about fumbling with the nut. Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/23/12 at 20:36:42

Actually,  these Antigravity batteries appeal to me because I specifically want a replacement that's of the same dimensions as the OEM.  I want to use the Ryca battery box in order to rid the moto of the stock side panels and all that other clutter.

So my question still stands: which of the Antigravity OEM replacement offerings do you guys think are direct replacement for the S40 stock brick?

If I knew what Yuasa's Suzuki Savage equivalent is I could easily answer this question, so perhaps somebody knows what the Yuasa designation is?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 09/23/12 at 20:45:35

They have a search feature on their site to help you find the direct replacement models.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=1929

in the search box type in LS650 and it will show the options for the Savage.  You will also be able to click on the battery model and it will take you to it, with a buy option.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/23/12 at 22:04:59

I recommend not getting a Shorai battery, I'm on my replacement and it still doesn't work probably in my Buell and nothing from Shorai in more than a week. Ordered a new AGM lead/acid tonight and going to junk the Shorai. Others have said the Antigravity are OK, but I decided if I am going to go with a lithium that I'll just build my own. In short for my Buell I need 4 serial and probably 3 or 4 parallel configuration. About the same price as the Antigravity, same cells, but when something doesn't work I'll have a better handle talking to the maker (me).

I know it is a lot of extra money, but I would suggest getting the 12 cell Antigravity, this is only a real 7ah battery, should provide above 300 cranking amps or better than 150 sustained high amps. These are 2.3ah cells in 4 serial configurations, the 12 cell is 3 parallel which adds to the total current available. Normal use in radio control sets these at a 30C discharge (69 amps each parallel set) and a much higher short term (start condition) peak.

IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/23/12 at 22:10:51

rfw2003 wrote on 09/23/12 at 20:45:35:
They have a search feature on their site to help you find the direct replacement models.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=1929

in the search box type in LS650 and it will show the options for the Savage.  You will also be able to click on the battery model and it will take you to it, with a buy option.

R.F.

Outstanding.  Don't know how I missed that.   Huh  Thanks, buddy.

IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/05/12 at 18:07:46

I installed a shorai LFX14A2-BS12 over two years no problems and its mounted in the muffler support bracket under the bike probley more vibrations their then in the stock battery box and this battery weight less then 2lbs  Ah 14 cca 210 w/h 60 bought it at batterystuff.com

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/05/12 at 21:27:23

I hope the folks doing the Mini Battery thing have studied exhausts. The stock Chrome Trashcan is heavy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 10/06/12 at 04:41:04

I want to use a new-tech battery like is being discussed here, because I want to dispense with the huge stock battery box and empty out all the space behind the cylinder.  For a RYCA type bike, that open look, dispensing with the side covers, is a lot cooler, methinks.  My "Double Ryca Build" buddy has already ordered his very small battery.  I think he is using a "Ballistic" brand.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/09/12 at 08:44:53

I've actually considered getting a lithium ion battery when mine needs to be replaced as they do have some advantages.  However, it would mean my current battery tender would need to be replaced (though the lithium ions should require far less maintenance) as well as the LED charging monitor I installed on my bike (which I like a lot).  The lithium ions are also more expensive.  All that taken into account, unless my financial position is significantly improved by then, I will probably get another AGM battery.  I'm currently using an Odyssey that I've had for about six or seven years and it's performing well.  I might go with a big crank though, as it's gotten good reviews from a number of folks on this site and is cheaper than the Odyssey.

If money were no object, I would definitely go with li-ion though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 10/09/12 at 10:34:53

If you're not ditching the factory battery-box I don't see any point in going li-ion. In fact, all I see are headaches. Regular battery chargers will ruin them, they have terrible cold-cranking abilities and they will flop around in the battery box without spacers. Li-ion batteries on cruisers are for people looking to ditch their battery box or relocate altogether.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 10/09/12 at 10:47:34

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/09/12 at 10:34:53:
If you're not ditching the factory battery-box I don't see any point in going li-ion. In fact, all I see are headaches. Regular battery chargers will ruin them, they have terrible cold-cranking abilities and they will flop around in the battery box without spacers. Li-ion batteries on cruisers are for people looking to ditch their battery box or relocate altogether.

With a L-I battery in the RYCA battery box, there is enough room for the toolkit.  

L-I batteries do not have any cold weather performance problems compared to lead-acid batteries.  ALL batteries perform poorly in really cold weather.  Plus, with the L-I batteries you can do a trick in cold weather not available to lead acid batteries.  Since they have so much energy stored, and since it leaks out so slowly, you can drain the battery for a few minutes with the lights, etc,.. warming it up and making the voltage available a lot greater than that available from a comparable lead-acid battery.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/09/12 at 11:26:00

Gyrobob wrote on 10/09/12 at 10:47:34:
 Plus, with the L-I batteries you can do a trick in cold weather not available to lead acid batteries.  

Best trick of all, unplug it and take it in with you.   Cool
and it's so small, just put it under your arm to warm it up.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 07:05:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ultra Lightweight OEM Battery Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.