Send Topic Print
Ps bad cranking (Read 46 times)
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Ps bad cranking
10/04/12 at 01:42:28

Going back to a post i started on bad cranking today it all started again ,cranking very slow so thaught oh no not again,so i decided to get out the hammer and hit the starter with it, bad idea made no differance So i took the starter apart to find one of the magnets inside the casing smashed in three peices Veiw picture Lesson learned never hit your starter with a hammer Well i did want to upload picture but the attach button is greyed out sorry

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ps bad cranking
Reply #1 - 10/04/12 at 02:27:34

Man,, what a lousy lesson..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/04/12 at 02:37:32

Why would you hit the starter? It's the solenoid you're supposed to hit and that's only if it won't crank at all. Go punch the person who taught you that in the throat.

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #3 - 10/04/12 at 02:47:12

I know use to do it on cars years ago But i cant punch my old dad in the throat Looks like getting back in touch with lancer for a starter  Sad

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #4 - 10/04/12 at 03:00:56

"If your only tool is a hammer, eveything looks like a nail..."

Too bad, but we all can imagine what a destroyed magnet looks like.
Time to get a new or good used starter now. Maybe you are lucky and get one for cheap with some other fault but the case with magnets is allright.

Did you anything like that therapy before??
I actually was reading your other thread about low cranking: Check if battery still is in good condition, check high power cables are all tight and before attaching a new (or the repaired) starter, check if the idler gear runs free "backwards".
Then remove plug from the generator side and check if the crankshaft feels good on turning (17mm wrench) CCW. I guess you can compare with a friends savage, right?

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #5 - 10/04/12 at 03:14:43

Thank you lou will do has you discribed I really dont think my friend will let me use his starter again for test  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #6 - 10/04/12 at 03:19:12

hitting on a car starter (if it doesn't work) may work, if the grease in it has hardened with time. Car starters use a built-in solenoid to attach or pull the pinion to the big pinion on the flywheel by a slide mechanism. The same solenoid then gives contact to the real starter motor.
Then you only should use a wooden or plastic hammer, just to break loose the hardened grease. This may work sometimes but if you run into that issue, start collecting money for a new starter motor or have a very skilled person to clean the inside from any old grease and go on with fresh grease.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Automobile_starter_2.JPG&file...

The most motorcycles (except BMW, Moto Guzzi etc.) have a free-wheeling clutch instead. No mallets allowed!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/04/12 at 04:31:52

Any big chunks of magnet left? Mount them under the bike for tripping lights   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 04:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ps bad cranking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.