Send Topic Print
plug sealing tips??? (Read 239 times)
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
plug sealing tips???
10/03/12 at 11:50:01

the rubber plug im talking about is the plug that is above one of the head bolts.
ive broken down the topend before and applied some rtv sealant around the outside lip of the plug but when i just broke down the topend again it was Very easy to just pull right out...
whats the best way the ensure this plug will stay put and seal...
and do i put anything under the copper washers for the head bolts?
tips........

i added alil pic of what the savage has turned into the last couple of days...

savagepipe.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: plug sealing tips???
Reply #1 - 10/03/12 at 12:00:21

clean the hole good, cover the plug with a heavy coat, and shove it in.

I usually use a pry bar from underneath to get it back out.

no since the threads gotta be oiled anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #2 - 10/03/12 at 12:05:28

heavy coat of what? if your talking about RTV, what kind? the most oil resistant kind or the high temp stuff?
any other critical sealing points i may have overlooked?
im puttting new head studs, o-ring, gaskets, bolts
and want to make sure when i torque it all back together it'll be ace for along time

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #3 - 10/03/12 at 12:20:44

I use YamaBond 4. Same sealant for the mating surfaces on the cylinder head/cylinder head cover interface. No problems with oil leaks.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/03/12 at 12:25:24

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

This is your Tech Tread for how to do the rubber plug with the engine still in the frame.

RTV has improved a lot over the last 3 years, I'd pick whatever color matches your head so the over-ooze isn't so noticeable.

All the current RTVs are up to the job of sealing your plug and your head cover.    Just remember to go lightly, a thin finger wipe on both sides of the head cover surfaces is enough.  

Too much RTV winds up squishing and protruding into the oil passages and jacking the cover way up in the air (increasing the running clearance in the cam bearing journal areas).

The rubber plug needs a significant coating, the ooze there isn't oil passage critical.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #5 - 10/03/12 at 12:26:37

ok cool ill try that, got a yamaha shop by my house that'll prob have it.
so you also put some on both sides of the Metal Gasket?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/03/12 at 18:07:34

You don't put anything on the metal gasket......only on the rubber plug.

What is the problem you are having?  An oil leak.....or a compression leak?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/03/12 at 22:01:24

REally?

RTV has improved a lot over the last 3 years, I'd pick whatever color matches your head so the over-ooze isn't so noticeable.

I dont use much, so, most of mine is older than 3 years,, brands that are best? Whats better? Spill it man,, this is NEWS,, How would you describe the change in performance?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/04/12 at 03:46:13

RTV used to require 10-20 minutes of jell time before actual assembly.

Now you can apply, smear and assemble without waiting for jell time.

For our head covers, this new generation silicone is ideal as it can be smeared thin on each half, then assembled with no waiting ....  this minimizes the "growth" in the cam bearing journal gap clearance due to jelled up RTV and it also minimizes the chance of ooze blocking off an oil passage.

Permatex makes several colors of RTV, available at Walmart or any auto parts store.   Specifically, they sell a black and a gray that match our painted parts on the Savage very nicely.   Folks who use red RTV are uglying up their bikes unnecessarily.

Permatex also sells small tubes (mini-tubes) of their RTVs for a lot less money.  These mini tubes are enough for a head sealing job with a little left over.   I have had several big $8.00 tubes of silicone RTV sealant set up on me over the years after using a very small portion of it actually working on my bike.

$2.99 for a right size tube of properly colored Permatex beats buying a tube of Yamabond or Kawsakibond or Hondabond from the dealership at $12 to $18 a tube.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/04/12 at 05:50:48

Thats good stuff to know,, thanks., & I think everyone who owns a tool box has tossed nearly full tubes of goo..Ive got a tube of 3 bond, I doubt it will ever be used.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #10 - 10/04/12 at 07:30:00

problem? oil leak and feels like a compression leak. so im gunna put all new head studs, bolts, gaskets etc.
i dont know what else to do, ive changed gaskets before still leaked the same amount... if this doesnt work the savage will be on craigslist for sale, cheap.

IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #11 - 10/04/12 at 08:12:24

btw one'a you guys wanna sell me a used rear sprocket that'll fit the savage?? 40-44 tooth would be fine, going chain drive!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/04/12 at 09:19:22

Do a leak down test?

Or, better yet, get a spark plug & gut the ceramic out of it, get a nipple welded in it, or if theres enough surface area to play with & you can get a good fit, JB weld something in it you can get a milton fitting on & air it up. If youve got a bad gasket, surely you can prove it that way,
Make sure you open the oil fill, so air coming past the rings doesnt air up the casees & mess a seal up.

HOw would you describe "Feels like compression loss"? Can you be any more detailed?

IP Logged
chad levert

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

louisiana
Reply #13 - 10/04/12 at 10:43:08

like after the bike gets warm (3min idle and 5miles down the road) itll start leaking oil and the motor will studder very noticeably. when i cold start it, it has great compression...

when i got the bike it was missing a few bolts on the head and one of the head bolts would only torque down to 20ft pounds and then the nut would slip. also last time i had the engine apart i put a thin layer of redRTV on both sides of the metal cylinder gasket...

so i THINK if i change head studs and put ALL the bolts in the head and try and metal-to-metal seal on the cylinder it should be fine, idk what u think?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 10/04/12 at 16:13:59

when i got the bike it was missing a few bolts on the head and one of the head bolts would only torque down to 20ft pounds and then the nut would slip. also last time i had the engine apart i put a thin layer of redRTV on both sides of the metal cylinder gasket...

RTV that gasket for a sure fail,.,

when i got the bike it was missing a few bolts on the head and one of the head bolts would only torque down to 20ft pounds and then the nut would slip.

You were sold a defective machine. The previous owner knew it & defrauded you. ( IMO)& you are definitely NUmber 1 in "I think I have a blown head gasket",, & I am sorry to hear it.

Yes, I would drop the engine. IDK if I would try to fix it myself or if I would hire it done. There are guys here with much more experience in thread repair kits.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:15:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › plug sealing tips???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.