Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is something wrong or it just the way it is? (Read 330 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Is something wrong or it just the way it is?
Reply #15 - 10/03/12 at 21:57:02

I could probably pick the brand name out of a multiple choice list, but I cant remember,, Im sorry,, they stuck good, & the first one gave me a good 5,000 miles, the 2nd only gave me 3,, Some of that was, Im sure, due to my increased aggressiveness after getting rid of the stock tire, then getting that 5,000 miles of good handling,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #16 - 10/03/12 at 22:40:35

SALB wrote on 10/03/12 at 21:30:09:
If you liked the Bridgestone spitfire on your other bike, go for it.  I put a set on mine last spring, and at 3000+ miles, I'm just starting to see signs of wear. Wink

Bridgestone would have been my first choice simply based on past experience and the fact that my girlfriend's bike has different model Bridgestones than I had that actually look cooler than the Spitfires and her bike also rides and corners very nice, so I just assumed Bridgestone must make a good motorcycle tire in general.

Have you found a Bridgestone that comes in 140/80-15?
I have not.
The only ones I have found sold in America that come in that size are IRC, Dunlop, and Metzeler.
I have also heard of Pirellis being available in that size too, but they must be discontinued because it doesn't come up on their website.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #17 - 10/04/12 at 19:24:50

grungeant wrote on 10/03/12 at 22:40:35:
SALB wrote on 10/03/12 at 21:30:09:
If you liked the Bridgestone spitfire on your other bike, go for it.  I put a set on mine last spring, and at 3000+ miles, I'm just starting to see signs of wear. Wink

Bridgestone would have been my first choice simply based on past experience and the fact that my girlfriend's bike has different model Bridgestones than I had that actually look cooler than the Spitfires and her bike also rides and corners very nice, so I just assumed Bridgestone must make a good motorcycle tire in general.

Have you found a Bridgestone that comes in 140/80-15?
I have not.
The only ones I have found sold in America that come in that size are IRC, Dunlop, and Metzeler.
I have also heard of Pirellis being available in that size too, but they must be discontinued because it doesn't come up on their website.

Ya, the Bridgestone only comes in a 140/90-15, but the good news is it fits, and according to a few on the forum, corrects the speedometer. Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/04/12 at 19:48:31

SALB wrote on 10/04/12 at 19:24:50:
Ya, the Bridgestone only comes in a 140/90-15, but the good news is it fits, and according to a few on the forum, corrects the speedometer. Undecided

Not few... many, myself included.
and it corrects the optimistic speedo.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #19 - 10/04/12 at 23:04:45

verslagen1 wrote on 10/04/12 at 19:48:31:
SALB wrote on 10/04/12 at 19:24:50:

Not few... many, myself included.
and it corrects the optimistic speedo.   Cool

Is this the tire size that I was reading fits after you grind something inside the fender or is it a simple bolt on swap?
Does it ride/handle any better or is it just easier to find the rubber?

What is wrong with the speedo?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 10/04/12 at 23:13:47

Nothing serious,, its just a minor character flaw. It lies a little,,Its telling you your bike is faster than it really is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/04/12 at 23:16:51

grungeant wrote on 10/04/12 at 23:04:45:
Is this the tire size that I was reading fits after you grind something inside the fender or is it a simple bolt on swap?

All tires vary in size, and how you set your shocks vary.
Every tire install needs to be checked for clearance.
changing out the side rail bolts for button head allen bolts will give you a little more clearance.
Quote:

every speedo reads a little faster then you actually going.
or every time you got a speeding ticket you'd run down to the dealer to complain.

WWW   IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #22 - 10/04/12 at 23:34:05

verslagen1 wrote on 10/04/12 at 23:16:51:
grungeant wrote on 10/04/12 at 23:04:45:

All tires vary in size, and how you set your shocks vary.
Every tire install needs to be checked for clearance.
changing out the side rail bolts for button head allen bolts will give you a little more clearance.
Quote:

every speedo reads a little faster then you actually going.
or every time you got a speeding ticket you'd run down to the dealer to complain.

Yeah, I know most speedos read about 1-2mph faster than what you are actually moving. I just wasn't sure if the Suzuki one is extra off.
The strange thing is I sent Ryca an email asking how far their speedo would be off on a stock bike, and the reply I got was something to the effect of
Pretty acurate as it is the same ratio as a stock bike and 90% of all Jap bikes.
That didn't really make sense to me.

I don't think I'll be swapping tire sizes if the only reason to do it is that it makes it easier to find rubber and the speedo is closer to accurate.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 10/05/12 at 00:06:37

grungeant wrote on 10/04/12 at 23:34:05:
Yeah, I know most speedos read about 1-2mph faster than what you are actually moving. I just wasn't sure if the Suzuki one is extra off.
The strange thing is I sent Ryca an email asking how far their speedo would be off on a stock bike, and the reply I got was something to the effect of
Pretty acurate as it is the same ratio as a stock bike and 90% of all Jap bikes.
That didn't really make sense to me.

I don't think I'll be swapping tire sizes if the only reason to do it is that it makes it easier to find rubber and the speedo is closer to accurate.

speedos aren't geared to read a precise speed in direct relationship of how fast the wheels are turning.

they are geared to spin a magnet which creates a torque on a plate with a clock spring.
these plates are calibrated to read the speed you're going.  almost a black art.

only electronic speedos can be precise.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:52:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is something wrong or it just the way it is?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.