Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is something wrong or it just the way it is? (Read 330 times)
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Is something wrong or it just the way it is?
10/02/12 at 10:27:05

Does cold affect how a tire rides?

When I leave for work about 1-1:30pm it's usually in the 70's and I can pretty much ride 65-75 fine if it isn't windy. It seems like I feel a little more road vibration than I should, but it is toleratable.

When I ride home from work anywhere from 11-2:30am it's in the 50's and it seems I can't really go over 60 even on windless nights because I just feel every little imperfection in the road mostly I feel the grainy road surface, but sometimes...
And it could be my imagination because I am cold and tired, I feel some slight oscilation from the back with it. The other night it got me so nervous I pulled over and checked the rear tire and everything I could on the side of the road and everything seemed tight. It seems the colder out it is the worse it is, which also might have something to do with how rigid my body is too.

My bike has about 6100miles on it. as far as I know the tires are original, or at least thee original brand with good tread.
This is not my first bike, however it is my first bike in about 8 years. I had a KLR250 that I used to ride 75-85 almost everywhere so I understand what a light bike feels like in the wind, but this is different. It's almost like my tire rubber is too hard.
Myh commute is 25 miles one way. Mostly highway, and at least 8 miles of the highway is the same road I have ridden other bikes across many times, so I'm oretty sure it is the bike I am uncomfortable with and not the road.

I read this post and it seems like I might have the same problem as this guy, but nothing was ever concluded.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1317996336/0
I suspect my IRC tires just suck even though they have good tread, and based on what I have read I should get Metzeler Marathon 880's and the bike will ride much nicer and corner better.
This bike seems to be the worst handeling bike I have ever ridden.
With my work gear I am about 180lbs. I raised the rear tire pressure to the 2 person psi and it cornered better, but seemed too rigid, so I lowered it back down to the 1 person pressure, and I am running about 31psi in my front tire.
Most of what I feel seems to be coming from the back of the bike, but I am still thinking about lowering my front tire pressure to 29 when I get a new gauge, but something tells me that will make things worse.
I have my rear shocks on the lowest setting because on the 2nd setting it was just too painfull to ride with a 25lb backpack, and it is still a little on the rigid side.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Is something wrong or it just the way it is?
Reply #1 - 10/02/12 at 11:38:07

The stock IRC's ain't the greatest... and 8 year old ones are gonna' really suck... tires dry out...
Get some new ones... Shinko, Kenda, Dunlop, Perrelli, Metzler,(in order of longevity, less to more)... all better than the stock IRC's...
Try to choose some that will wear out in less than 5 years...

PS,.. I used to buy IRC's for my DP bike, and they were quite good... it's not a bad brand,... it's just this particular model of tire...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/02/12 at 12:27:28

It's not the ambient temperature that matters, it's the road temperature.

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #3 - 10/02/12 at 14:58:26

I have a new s40(2011 purchased on 8-21-12 from Suzuki)  and I, too, have felt the "wandering" from the back wheel/tire   and have stopped to check(as you mentioned)  it's somewhat uncomfortable - but I know that things are as they should be(tight)     Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/02/12 at 16:26:50

IRC's suck

Get another brand of tire when it comes time.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/02/12 at 22:50:42

My OEM rear tire never had traction, even on dry roads, it felt squirelly.
But, I kept if for 5,000 miles, because I thot riding a rolling tube of snot mite make me a better rider.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #6 - 10/02/12 at 23:36:36

Serowbot wrote on 10/02/12 at 11:38:07:
The stock IRC's ain't the greatest... and 8 year old ones are gonna' really suck... tires dry out...
Get some new ones... Shinko, Kenda, Dunlop, Perrelli, Metzler,(in order of longevity, less to more)... all better than the stock IRC's...
Try to choose some that will wear out in less than 5 years...

PS,.. I used to buy IRC's for my DP bike, and they were quite good... it's not a bad brand,... it's just this particular model of tire...

I have never "worn out" a motorcycle tire. How will I know when they are worn out?
I replaced the Continentals on my KZ750 because the sidewalls just looked scarey. I replaced them with Bridgestone Spitfires, and had the bike another 4 years and for 2 of those years the bike was my primary vehicle, and for the 1st year it was my only vehicle. I lived in Las Vegas at the time and rode the bike year round from about 30 degrees up to 117 degerees. They still had good tread when I sold the bike, but were starting to look dryrotted around the sidewalls. I was heavier then too, and had 2 people on the bike most of the time, so there was pretty much between 400-500lbs of people/gear on the bike when I wasn't  flying to work.

I hear people saying they wear a tire out in 5k. That just seems rediculous to me.
I commute 50 miles round trip 5 days a week, and if the bike will handle it, I want to make it my primary vehicle except when it is snowing. I put about 20k a year on my car, so I expect to put at least half that on my bike. Which tires will I wear out in 5 years?
I'm thinking I want something with good handeling and smooth quiet ride. I like to run 70-80 most of the time and corner fast which I can't currently do with this bike.

I forget what came stock on DP. I think they might have been Dunlops? Although I have been told the tires I had sucked that bike was the best handling bike I have ever ridden, so it was probably just a good bike. I used to ride that thing like a crotch rocket.

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/02/12 at 12:27:28:
It's not the ambient temperature that matters, it's the road temperature.

What does the road temp do to the tires, or the handeling trates?
I have ridden 100mile trips through NJ winters down to about 10degrees, but that was about 10-12 years ago and mostly on an enduro which showed no change at all, and the rest was on a KZ750 which I also do not recall changing, and the tires on that bike really sucked when I first got it.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #7 - 10/03/12 at 02:23:02

grungeant wrote on 10/02/12 at 23:36:36:
I have ridden 100mile trips through NJ winters down to about 10degrees, but that was about 10-12 years ago and mostly on an enduro which showed no change at all, and the rest was on a KZ750 which I also do not recall changing, and the tires on that bike really sucked when I first got it.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Shocked

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/03/12 at 04:17:00

When its down to the wear bars & will not pass inspection, its wore out.
That can happen in less than 5.000 miles. I wore one out in 3,000. Cheap as that tire was, & as well as it stuck, I didnt want another one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #9 - 10/03/12 at 09:35:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/03/12 at 04:17:00:
When its down to the wear bars & will not pass inspection, its wore out.
That can happen in less than 5.000 miles. I wore one out in 3,000. Cheap as that tire was, & as well as it stuck, I didnt want another one.

NJ doesn't do motorcycle inspections anymore.
What are the wear bars? Is it possible I am wore down to the wear bars even though the tread depth seems good?
What tires did you have that were cheap and rode good?

Like I had mentioned before this is my first bike in about 8 years, and between 2000-2004 I rode alot. I knew about riding. Not bikes.
I got my Suzuki in July and I am learning how great my old bikes were because I never did anything to them except change the oil and plugs and air filters, and put front brakes on, and had the tires changed. Which I did all myself except the tires. I never adjusted valves or carbs other than turning the idle up or down.
I can't imagine how good those bikes would have been if I actually took care of them like I was supposed to.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 10/03/12 at 09:51:02

Seems to me as if every bike forum and every bike review complains about whatever tire comes stock on every bike in the world. They can't ALL be bad - can they?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/03/12 at 10:09:59

Grunt,.. with the amount of miles you intend to be riding,.. I'd go with the longest lasting tires... Metzler 880's...  They are 50% more expensive, but will last twice as long... (usually in the 20k range)... so, you'll likely get 2 years out of them...

Wear bars,.. are small ridges of rubber, in between the tread of a tire.. when the tread gets a low as the wear bars, it's time to go shopping...
You can also use a penny... put the penny head first into a gap between the tread pattern... and if you can't see the top of Lincoln's head,.. it's shopping time...

PS... get new tubes as well.... and ask for a 90' valve stem mounted brake side on the rear...
(makes air checks much easier)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #12 - 10/03/12 at 10:13:33

Charon wrote on 10/03/12 at 09:51:02:
Seems to me as if every bike forum and every bike review complains about whatever tire comes stock on every bike in the world. They can't ALL be bad - can they?

Nope. Although people told me my stock tires on my 1998 KLR250 sucked, I thought that was the best handling bike I have ever ridden, and very rarely broke traction on pavement, and when I did it was always my own fault and usually from stopping too fast. You could put that bike almost horizontal at pretty much any speed, and even accelerate and shift while almost laying sideways. So light weight and perfectly balanced! I could not even imagine how great the bike would be with better tires if the ones I had "sucked"
I rode that bike year round in all kinds of weather too from an NJ winter to a Las Vegas summer.

If that bike had less of a plastic dirtbike look to it, and just a little more power I would have gotten another. I rode that thing as hard as it could be ridden almost everry time I went out and it still got over 70mpg, and was capable of cruising at 80 smoothly.

I think Suzuki could pull off an even better bike if they made a TU with a bigger frame, and like a 400-450.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #13 - 10/03/12 at 10:47:55

Serowbot wrote on 10/03/12 at 10:09:59:
Grunt,.. with the amount of miles you intend to be riding,.. I'd go with the longest lasting tires... Metzler 880's...  They are %50 more expensive, but will last twice as long... (usually in the 20k range)... so, you'll likely get 2 years out of them...

Wear bars,.. are small ridges of rubber, in between the tread of a tire.. when the tread gets a low as the wear bars, it's time to go shopping...
You can also use a penny... put the penny head first into a gap between the tread pattern... and if you can't see the top of Lincoln's head,.. it's shopping time...

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/pennyfront.jpg

PS... get new tubes as well.... and ask for a 90' valve stem mounted brake side on the rear...
(makes air checks much easier)... Wink...

Oh man I just had my rear tube replaced a few weeks ago because I got a flat. It cost me $75 too!
I didn't know you could get a 90 valve stem for a bike. I had a 90 degree air gauge specifically because of my rear tire, but it was digital and after a month or so it started reading like 30-40psi higher than what was actually in the tire.

You meant if I can see the top of Lincoln's head it's shopping time right?

I was wondering could this be my imagination?
When my rear tire was flat I had to ride about 20-30 miles to the closest place to get my tire fixed, and alls I had was a bicycle foot pump, and I could only get about 25psi in the tire between the tire leaking and the chuck not sealing too good. It was in the low 80's that day and I could only ride 5-10 minutes before the bike got too squirrely and I had to pull over to put more air in. I was going about 45-50 between stops and got slower the worse the bike rode.
When I got to the bike shop it seemed like the center section of the tread looked darker than the rest of the rubber, and I know the tire itself got fairly hot. So maybe in my mind (or possibly reality) I am thinking I wore the center of the tread flat and that's why my bike corners like crap either because I think it does, or because it actualy does in reality?
And if this has actually happened would that also explain why I feel every grain of the asphault on the highway?

I haven't stuck a penny in the tread, but they look like they are decent. I will have to check them and look for the wear bars. when I go out later.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #14 - 10/03/12 at 21:30:09

If you liked the Bridgestone spitfire on your other bike, go for it.  I put a set on mine last spring, and at 3000+ miles, I'm just starting to see signs of wear. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:48:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is something wrong or it just the way it is?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.