Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What do you guys think of the Suzuki S50/Intruder? (Read 468 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Re: What do you guys think of the Suzuki S50/Intru
Reply #30 - 11/03/12 at 09:39:23

That Goldwing is nice, btw!  Cool

So, I dropped by the local Motomax to see what's for sale and sit on a few.  I didn't take any for a ride, just sat on them to assess how well they fit me physically.

They had an S50...I sat on it...feels about the same as my S40, which is just a little cramped for me. I'm sure forward controls on an S50 or my current S40 would make it more comfortable for longer rides, but if I'm going to go to all that trouble why not just get a little bigger bike that will also handle highway speeds more comfortably.  That's my thinking anyway.

Also sat on an Boulevard M50 (or C50?)...very comfy actually.  It's 100+ lbs heavier than my S40, but it sure didn't feel like it.  In fact, it felt lighter to stand it upright than the S50 did.  Hmmm.

I also sat on a Boulevard M109R...I am quite surprised to go read the specs after and see that it's a 740 lb bike. Wow...I guess Suzuki did a really fabulous job of keeping the center of gravity really low on this bike.  I would have expected there would be some grunt in just standing it upright, but not the case.  I like this one!  Too much bike to be my "next bike", but maybe after I get a few years of riding experience under my belt. Reviews says this monster (almost 1800cc) handles extremely well for it's weight...that makes it even more appealing.  I really like the styling too.

I sat on a Vulcan 900 classic...did not like the footboards, I'd rather have pegs.  It felt comfortable and reasonable in terms of percieved weight though.  They didn't have a Vulcan Custom, which is what I like better styling-wise.

I also sat on a V-Star 750, and a Honda 750 cruiser too (don't remember which one).  They look nice...it just never seems that anyone raves about either of them in reviews.  I sat on a Harley Sportster 883, and it didn't feel much more comfortable than my S40, and felt kinda top-heavy to me.

They did not have a Boulevard M90...I would love to check one of those out.

My current thinking on "next bike"...possibilities include Boulevard M50, Boulevard M90, or possibly a Vulcan 800-900. I think I can safely rule out the S50, even though it looks really good on paper.  I do like the "legs forward" seating on the ones mentioned above.  

A Boulevard M50 would probably be a conservative (ie. safe for me) choice.  There's a big weight difference between the M50 and the M90/M109.  (That said, also a big weight diff between the S40 and the M50, but the M50 doesn't *feel* so heavy.)  Given that, I couldn't see upgrading to an M90 from an M50...just go straight to the M109 if/when I feel like I'm equipped well enough (in terms of experience and judgement) to handle an M109. Of course, there's so many bikes to choose from, who knows...I could change my mind over the next few years.  I kinda wish the M50 was a 900cc instead of an 800cc...it seems like a step down in performance from the smaller/lighter S50 with the same engine size...it sure seems like an extra 100cc's would change that equation some. (That said, they don't make the S50 anymore, and that's probably why they discontinued it.)

I do know that I want something that's a little more comfortable for a longer ride with comfortable room for a passenger, has plenty of HP and torque on retainer for when I decide to use it, doesn't *feel* heavy, and still handles well for a cruiser.  I'd put comfort first, acceleration a close 2nd, and handling 3rd.  The Suzuki M's sure seem to offer that balance pretty well.

So far, it seems that Suzuki certainly fits my likes and preferences best. I wonder if that's just because my first bike (I'm not counting the Chinese 250 I had for a couple months before I decided on an S40... Grin), or if Suzuki just has the equation right?  Maybe I'm a Suzuki rider for life, eh?  Cool

Dave

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #31 - 11/04/12 at 05:37:35

The M90 is a Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500 with a different headlight. So there's another choice but they discontinued the Kawi 1500s years ago.

If you're serious about stepping up to something like the M109, give a Kawasaki Rogue a good look over... biggest factory v-twin out there, it clears 2 liters displacement. But takes oil in 3 very tricky to refill locations (as does the Yamaha Road Star). You can get it in 3 different trim packages... cruiser, tourer and muscle bike. Just ask to see any V2Ks they have on the floor.

The VN900 was a step in the wrong direction, tubeless alloy wheels, belt drive and fuel injected. A bit too much like another Kawi designed product that is phenomenally popular in this country, the Evolution Big Twin by Harley Davidson (Kawasaki block and cylinder design, Yamaha heads, Toyota starter).  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #32 - 11/04/12 at 10:11:11

I did NOT know there was cross-breeding between American and Japanese motorcycles in addition to cars. I suppose I should have guessed. Grin

I think any of the big displacement heavy bikes would be a little too much for me at my experience level. I've got about 7 months and 250 hours of seat-time under my belt...I need to keep it a little conversative at this point.  Wink

The M50 sure does feel like it would be comfortable and easy to handle, based on sitting on it and reviews I've read.  There's a big difference between 380 lbs (S40) and 540 lbs (M50). But, judging by sitting on it and standing it up, it sure seems like Suzuki did a great job of keeping the center of gravity low on the M50 (and other M's).  

I haven't dropped the S40 since I first got it in the Spring...although I did come pretty close a few months ago stopping on a steep downward incline (if it hadn't been such a light bike, I probably would not have been able to man-handle it back upright).  But then, I think I also learned to avoid any abrupt braking on a downward incline (felt like an idiot!  Grin ) after that almost-drop.  Wink  

So, I dunno...with low enough center of gravity (like the M50 appears to have), maybe I can handle that one OK.  It would be nice to have something a little bigger than I can stretch out on and comfortably carry a passenger (without getting too big for my experience level).

Next step...take an M50 for a test ride.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:38:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › What do you guys think of the Suzuki S50/Intruder?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.