Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What do you guys think of the Suzuki S50/Intruder? (Read 468 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: What do you guys think of the Suzuki S50/Intru
Reply #15 - 10/02/12 at 15:09:22

WD wrote on 10/02/12 at 15:07:28:
She loves her bike... I'd love to use it for target practice.

Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 10/02/12 at 19:50:29

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #17 - 10/03/12 at 05:11:40

and here are my impressions about s50..
I just tried that once sit down and take a ride on it. I thought he seemed very much like a savage. only a little more playful. then everything is simple-it has the v-twin! by landing on it seemed to me even a little bit closer than the savage. in my lower back (ass) is hampered by step between the driver and rear passenger seats. liked the sound of the engine
but to change their savage on s50 don't want to...

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 10/03/12 at 16:08:38

Serowbot wrote on 10/02/12 at 08:56:45:
The only reason I'd go to bigger bike, is to get a better highway machine,... and the S50 isn't particularly good for that...
(skinny front tire, bad ergo's, small tank)...
JMHO...   Huh...

So, what about a skinny front tire makes it not good for the highway? (Sincere question.)

Dave

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #19 - 10/04/12 at 01:48:14

I owned a 1997 Intruder VS800 for a couple years.  The bike has its strengths and weaknesses.
The good:
It has great acceleration and top end speed.
It gets good mileage and a good range per tank (about 225 km if I recall)

The bad:
It needs drag bars instead of the buckhorns
It needs aftermarket forward controls
It needs an aftermarket seat
It needs shorter shocks to close the ugly tire to fender gap
The battery is hard to change
The carbs are hard to set up (one is sidedraft, one is downdraft)

There are lots of aftermarket parts available and it is a great ride especially after the seat/bars/foot control ergos have been fixed.  The good outweigh the bad in my opinion.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #20 - 10/05/12 at 03:32:33

I owned a 2006 VS800 (S50) briefly back in '07/'08 ... wasn't fussy on it ... totally lacked any "character" IMHO ... hated, hated, hated removing and re-installing the battery for seasonal storage!!!

Sold it and went and got another LS650 (2005 S40) ... was much happier with that ... should never have sold my '03 Savage to buy the VS800 in the first place ... but I guess that's why hind-sight is 20/20! LOL!! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 10/10/12 at 09:03:29

IF I was to go to a bigger bike...I've been looking at the M50...but it still just doen't seem as much fun as the little savage....what do i know tho'...my other bikes are mopeds... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #22 - 10/10/12 at 10:48:13

I think that the M50 has a great set of shocks to put on the Savage.  Just ask Serowbot.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 10/10/12 at 15:32:50

Its so easy to want a bike with enough power to accelerate strongly at 80 MPH & handle like a scalpel, But, If a bikes performance envelope is as big or bigger than mine is, then I can get in over my head. The Savage wallows in a long sweeper, so, I keep the speed down,,

I guess what Im trying to say is, its more fun to ride a slow bike as fast as ya dare than a fast bike slow enough to not get in trouble.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #24 - 10/10/12 at 15:56:44

Dave Sisk wrote on 10/02/12 at 13:18:33:
...something like a Honda Goldwing would be waaaay too big and heavy for my tastes.

Hey, I resemble that statement!

78 goldwing 1000 is excellent on the highway, even with the low bars. POWER and darn nimble for being 600lb, but they are best suited for cafe style rather than cruiser. The valkyrie is a cruiser with the same great boxer engine.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/10/12 at 16:46:18

the S50 is better than the S83, which is weird, but true, neither of those bikes are a real good step up from the S40/savage, if you want comfort, try a Yamaha 950 it has a tourer edition with bags and a windshield. or maybe a Suzuki C50 or M50?  the S50 just isn't enough difference from the S40/savage.  A Triumph America or Speedmaster would be great also if you are sold on the cruiser idea, the Bonneville is great though if you are looking for a change to a more flexible standard bike, luggage is an issue though, well, only if you want stylish luggage for reasonable prices and you have bastardized your Bonneville with a 70's racer reminiscent fairing that doesn't compliment any of the "bobber/cafe style" style baggage offered by OEM.  The sportster is also an excellent option.  

intruderalert.com is the forum for the S50/intruder and S83/intruder as well as the LC1500???  and harleys and conservative think tank/echo chamber madness, but if you stick to the technical boards you can avoid all the political crap.

seriously the Yamaha 950 is excellent  Smiley

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #26 - 10/11/12 at 03:26:12

IMHO, retro-styled Standards like the Bonneville or Guzzi's V7 Classic (the "Stone" version is absolutely beautiful!) ... or even the Kawi W650 are perfect up-grades for LS650 owners, providing they have enough leg ... Standards are ultimately more comfortable than either Cruisers or Sport Bikes. Honda's VT750 RS Shadow falls into this category too as it is very much a "Standard" ergonomically ...

Other potentially decent move-ups are;

Cruisers:
H.D. Sportster 883/1200
Honda VT750 C2 Shadow
Kawasaki VN900 Vulcan (particularly the Custom)
Yamaha XV1100 V-Star (again the Custom)

Sport-type Bikes:
Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
Kawasaki 400/650R Ninja
Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
Suzuki SV650

Modern "Standards":
Honda NC700S/NC700X
Honda 535/919
Kawasaki ER-6n
Suzuki Gladius

It's a shame that Suzuki doesn't offer anything in the the Retro-Standard category here in North America (larger than the TU250X) ... Am still hoping they will eventually produce a TU650X Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/11/12 at 08:18:43 by PerrydaSavage »  

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #27 - 10/29/12 at 19:34:44

Wow, this thread is still alive.  LOL.  Grin

I've had my S40 on the highway a couple of times, and yeah it's not that comfortable at 65-70 mph.  My came with a windshield that I took off...now that's it's chilly, I will prob put it back on to deflect some wind.

OK, thanks for all the thoughts on the S50 and similar models.  I saw the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 mentioned...I've seen all kinds of good reviews on the Vulcan 750, 800, 900, etc., so I may give one of the Vulcan's a look at some point.  One thing that strikes me though is that most of the other bikes with displacement simlar to the S50 are quite a bit heavier...the S50 is by far the lightest at about 440 lbs wet.  I kinda feel like the S40 is just a tad too small (legs wise)...thus my thinking that maybe an S50 would be the perfect fit.  But hey, everyone has different likes and dislikes, and you really don't know until you ride it.  

I'm in no hurry to trade up, btw...I definitely love the S40, and would highly HIGHLY recommend it to any beginning (or re-beginning) riders, or someone with a 250 who wants to move up.  That said, I still need to look at raising the seat a little...that may drastically improve the comfort level.  

Cheers!
Dave

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #28 - 10/29/12 at 20:38:54

Hmmm I cruise comfortably between 70-80mph for about 20 min twice a day when I commute to work. When I had the stock airbox and pipe 60-65 wasn't very comfortable. With the air filter and harley pipe change over I've hit 90 with the engine still pulling when I let off, not real zippy with the accel at that speed but it was still there.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #29 - 10/30/12 at 05:40:16

I've had mine up to around 70mph or so...at that speed, it kinda feels like the wind is whipping me around. (I guess that's what "wind buffeting" means?) Maybe it's just me though, and adding the windshield back will remove some of that sensation?  I've changed the exhaust and tweaked the carb, so I'm sure it would go quite a bit faster...just not sure the rider would want to.  Wink

I wish 5th were geared a little taller on these bikes (just 5th though...the rest of the gear ratios seem about perfect)...or a 6th gear.  A lot of buzzy vibrations from an extended ride at those revs.

Cheers,
Dave

« Last Edit: 10/30/12 at 07:02:27 by Dave Sisk »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:49:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › What do you guys think of the Suzuki S50/Intruder?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.