Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Does EVERY LS650 Have The Brake Squeal Problem? (Read 680 times)
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Does EVERY LS650 Have The Brake Squeal Problem?
09/28/12 at 21:04:23

From what I read here on the forum some folks seem to have dying swine at both front and rear brakes, others just have squealing at front or back.

I know forums vastly tend to magnify small issues because if your motorcycle isn't having problems you don't really have much about which to post complaints.  But the brake squeal thing seems to come up a lot around here.

It can't be that EVERY LS650 have the brake squeal problem, right?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Does EVERY LS650 Have The Brake Squeal Problem
Reply #1 - 09/28/12 at 21:05:39

Not every one,

..... just the vast majority .....  

....  on the OEM pads and shoes certainly, but not so much on the recommended replacement pads and shoes ....

.... kinda sorta, anyways

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/28/12 at 21:13:29

All the threads I have read on the replacements that have proven to be noiseless also state they require significantly more force at the lever.  I don't want that.

If I remember correctly, Oldfeller, you had a lengthy thread some time ago about testing EBC red pads.

Have we ever found noiseless replacements front and rear that don't also make us work harder not to crash into the car in front of us?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/28/12 at 21:29:03

SBC pads require "similar to stock" force to get same same braking.

(but they eat into your rotor much worse than EBCs or stock pads)

You read the threads .....  you already know all of this stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/28/12 at 21:33:31

Look for "kevlar" pads.  they don't say this any more due to it's a brand name.

My favorite is "X" brand,  I would say it's very close to stock feel, w/no squeal.

WWW   IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/28/12 at 21:44:47

verslagen1 wrote on 09/28/12 at 21:33:31:

My favorite is "X" brand,  I would say it's very close to stock feel, w/no squeal.

Got a linky for X brand, Verslagen?  I just Googled "X brand brake pads," but I'm not seeing them.  Is X an EBC item, perhaps?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 09/28/12 at 22:19:35

FWIW, my Savage (see signature block) has never had the squeal.

I've had OEM, Ferodo Platinum, and EBC Organic pads in the front.....never any noise.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 09/28/12 at 22:34:24

NicholasTanguma wrote on 09/28/12 at 21:44:47:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/28/12 at 21:33:31:

Got a linky for X brand, Verslagen?  I just Googled "X brand brake pads," but I'm not seeing them.  Is X an EBC item, perhaps?

They're probably using Twaron which is very similar to Kevlar. Twaron's code name is Fiber-X.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-SUZUKI-LS-650-Savage-Front-Brakes-Pads-86-88-PN-F...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/28/12 at 22:42:02

these are the ones I bought last, haven't used them yet.
the "x" brand pads are still on there... after a year?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-FRONT-Brake-Pads-LS-650-LS650-Savage-Boulevard...

here are the x brand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-Pads-Suzuki-LS650-LS-650-Savage-NP41A-87-...

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 09/29/12 at 10:56:06

I use Vesrah pads and have Emgo shoes in the rear, I think. The Vesrahs don't squeal, but the rear brakes do. I just get up above 40mph or so and use the rear brake only as hard as I can safely. The squeal goes away for weeks, and then I have to do it again. No problem, really.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/30/12 at 05:14:36

This place explains a lot about these issues, and has a slew of alternatives available.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/index.html

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 09/30/12 at 05:58:36

If all you want to do is stop the squeal, try these ideas.  Using these techniques, I have stopped every squeal I ever had in cars and motorcycles.  (from something I posted last year)

------------------------------
The squealing is from a resonance of high frequency vibrations in the pads/calipers when they contact the rotor.  Because of the job the disc brake has to do, this squeal is common, even though Suzuki engineers probably made a large effort to prevent it.

There are several things to try.  Replacing pads with a lot of material left on them is usually not a sensible option,… just a waste of money.

The idea is to change the resonance of the parts that vibrate, therefore pushing the resonance out of the range that tends to create a squeal.  Here are some ways:

-- Use the lube typically supplied with replacement pads.  This is a high-heat lube that goes between the pads and the piston that changes the resonance frequency.  Use sparingly.
 -- Use that same lube on all the parts that support the caliper that allow the caliper to move back and forth.  Again, use sparingly.
 -- Sometimes the pads, or even the rotors, can acquire a glaze that tends to make a squeal.  Lightly scouring one or both surfaces can help here.  Use 400 grit sandpaper (wet), or rubbing compound, steel wool, chore girl, comet cleanser, etc.  You don’t want any scratches, just a satin finish.
 -- Chamfer the edges of the pads.
      --- This changes the angle between the edge of the pad and the rotor surface, which changes how the pad tries to "dig in" to the rotor.
      --- Chamfering the leading edge of the pad is sufficient. This will change the resonance frequency one way or another.
      --- If chamfering the leading edge stops the squeal, it may come back, say, 4,000 miles later when the pads wear down enough to erase the chamfer.  Just chamfer it again.
 -- Clean the surfaces completely, then put a very thin layer of RTV on the back of the pad where it contacts the piston in the caliper.  Also put a very thin layer on the surface of the piston that contacts the pad.  Let it dry for a few hours.  
      --- By "very thin layer” I mean put a little on your finger, rub it on the surface.  Then wipe just about all of it off with a clean finger.  
      --- You don’t want any actual cushion here,…. that will make the brakes feel spongy.  You want only enough to change the resonance of these two mating surfaces,.. just residue, not an actual layer.  
      --- Make sure you use something with a high heat capability.  Normal RTV will work,.. hi-temp RTV might be better.  It's cheap.
 -- Cut out a piece of coke can metal shaped like the back of the disc brake pad, and insert that piece between the pad and the piston.  That metal is pretty tough stuff,... thin, but tough.  I also use it for shims when aligning gyrocopter rotors.  Sounds goofy, but it does change/negate the resonances, so it can eliminate the squeal.

« Last Edit: 10/03/12 at 13:07:35 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 09/30/12 at 09:20:20

Copper spray from any of the major gasket gunk makers. Caliper bolts, back of pads, piston face. Brake shoe pivots all need to be kept lubed as well. Coating the back of the shoes can help.

If you can find Emgo brake pads/shoes in the YELLOW packages, they are real deal asbestos linings. They don't squeal. Really hard to find though...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 09/30/12 at 10:29:56

I have no squeal when braking, just when rolling slow and my caliper won't release completely. I have tried everything. I already mentioned that in a different thread. I use the pads that Verslagen suggested.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 10/03/12 at 12:50:21

Haven't had any issues with my ceramic pads though I'd heard they could sometimes squeal too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does EVERY LS650 Have The Brake Squeal Problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.