Carb tuning help. (Read 265 times)
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Carb tuning help.
08/15/17 at 09:00:54

I hate starting yet another carb related thread as the info already available is very thorough.  I am a fairly competent mechanic and have experience tuning carbs on other bikes.  I'm hoping someone can save me some time and lessen my learning curve with the LS650 carb by giving me some pointers to help me figure it out quicker.

My bike is an '02 with the stock exhaust/intake and stock carb.  When I got it a few years ago I thoroughly cleaned the carb and did a refresh on it replacing jets, float needle etc. all with stock parts.  I adjusted the idle air screw properly or so I thought.  It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what I set it at.

Now onto the symptoms I am experiencing. FYI it has run this way since day 1 when I refreshed the carb so this isn't a recent problem.  I just dealt with it by having a slightly higher idle speed and am now getting around to doing something about it.  Off idle and up it runs SWEET!  So no complaints there.  
  1) If I am coming up to an intersection and go from part throttle cruising (constant speed) to close the throttle (engine braking) I get a LOUD shotgun blast backfire.  This doesn't seem like it should be normal.  It's not really a problem since I usually pull in the clutch, close throttle and roll to the stop.  Also if I slowly close the throttle, ie. gradually slow down I don't get a backfire either.
  2) Choke (fuel enrichment) doesn't seem to work very well.  The first stop out will keep the engine running but idle is still very low.  2nd stop out causes it to sputter and die.  
  3) Bike warmed up and idle set at 1100RPM.  When rolling and I pull in the clutch idle drops to 900-950RPM range but comes back up to 1100RPM when stopped.  When doing the same on a freeway exit ramp it drops as low as 800 and usually stalls.          

I'm assuming for #1 it's the increased engine vacuum pulling excess fuel thru the idle circuit that then pools/ignites in the hot exhaust.  Not really sure what I could do about that other than hope it's not normal and goes away when I fix the other idling issues.

For #2 I speculate that I'm not getting enough air from the idle circuit and the choke adding more fuel just smothers the engine.  Possibly I didn't adjust it right when I rebuilt it?

I'm at a loss for #3.  

The reason I let it go so long was a lack of time to deal with it and that turning the idle up to 1400-1500RPM yielded about a 1100RPM idle when cold and eliminated stalling issues.  I plan to start by removing the carb and disassembling looking for any passageway blockage, Checking whether or not I shimmed the needle valve (I think I did to richen up the mid throttle), and then starting over with tuning the idle circuit.  I am guessing that if there aren't any plugged passages, when tuning the idle circuit I may need to crack the butterfly with the idle screw to get more air at idle for proper choke (enrichment) function and proper idle function.  If anyone has any experience with the symptoms above I'd greatly appreciate hearing how you corrected them.  

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb tuning help.
Reply #1 - 08/15/17 at 10:04:12

When you let the throttle close fully while coasting to a stop - there is a very high engine vacuum.....but the slide needle has completely closed off the jet needle, and the only fuel to the engine is coming through the Pilot Jet circuit (and maybe some from the TEV valve).  With a lot of vacuum and very little fuel - the mixture in the cylinder is going very lean, and the spark plug cannot ignite this lean mixture....so the unburned fuel/air mixture goes into the hot exhaust system, and when it gets hot enough the mix is ignited in the exhaust header and muffler.  When you open up a bit of throttle as you coast you are reducing the vacuum and also opening up the jet needle...and the spark plug can ignite the fuel/air mixture.  (This is the proper way to ride a big single.....don't fully close the throttle as you decelerate or shift gears).

The engine rpm dropping as the engine approaches idle is also a symptom of the fuel/air mix being lean as the engine coasts down to idle (high engine vacuum and low fuel flow).  As the engine drops below the set idle speed there is a small lag until the air and fuel flow equalizes and gets to a good fuel/air mix for the idle speed.  You might try opening up the fuel mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if things improve.  If you have a #47.5 pilot jet....you might want to bump that up to a #50.

In warm temperatures the choke may not be necessary...or even desirable.  The choke is better suited for use when it is really cold....and the choke may not work all that well in the summer - you will just have to get used to holding the throttle open a little bit for the first few miles until the engine comes up to temperature.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 08/16/17 at 02:27:36

As an aside I think this bike needs an idle when warm of not be less than 1300.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #3 - 08/16/17 at 06:43:22

Dave wrote on 08/15/17 at 10:04:12:
The engine rpm dropping as the engine approaches idle is also a symptom of the fuel/air mix being lean as the engine coasts down to idle (high engine vacuum and low fuel flow).  As the engine drops below the set idle speed there is a small lag until the air and fuel flow equalizes and gets to a good fuel/air mix for the idle speed.  You might try opening up the fuel mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if things improve.  If you have a #47.5 pilot jet....you might want to bump that up to a #50.

I think you misunderstood what is happening.  Let me see if I can describe it better.  let's say I'm on the freeway going 75.  I slow down to 70 as I'm getting onto an exit ramp.  As I hit 70 I pull in the clutch to coast to the end of the exit ramp.  Engine hits idle at 65.  As I am coasting to the stop at the end of the exit ramp the idle will dip so low it stalls.  Even if I crack the throttle to get the idle back up and then close the throttle the idle drops to a stall.  If I manage to keep it from stalling until I'm down to say 40ish it will just idle really low and when I come to a complete stop it will creep back up to 1100RPM after I stop.  The drop in idle is almost directly proportional to the speed I'm rolling.    

WWW   IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/16/17 at 06:46:21

eau de sauvage wrote on 08/16/17 at 02:27:36:

If that indeed is the case then maybe I don't have a problem.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/16/17 at 07:38:21

Quimrider,

Just for giggles, read my recent thread here about a similar issue which I solved as being an issue with my needle position:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1497301269

May not be your issue, but it may enlighten you on some of the carb behavior. Sometimes what we think is a lean condition is a flooding condition and vice versa.  

Hope you get your issue solved.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 08/18/17 at 00:28:21

Quimrider wrote on 08/16/17 at 06:46:21:
eau de sauvage wrote on 08/16/17 at 02:27:36:

If that indeed is the case then maybe I don't have a problem.  

That's very possible. Maybe take a look through this thread...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1496795234/0

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 08/18/17 at 07:35:24

I certainly an not an expert on this situation, but I have always opted for a higher-than-recommended idle speed setting.  Mainly because I want to be sure that the oil pump is pumping as much oil as possible to the upper end and none of the engine is starving for oil at idle.

This may also have the effect of helping your situation, I don't know.  I know that I don't have any of the symptoms that you describe except for the lower idling speed at startup when cold.  I just am careful enough to "baby" the throttle until it warms up.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/18/17 at 08:11:04

Adjusting the idle is so easy that I do it while riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #9 - 08/18/17 at 08:15:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/18/17 at 08:11:04:
Adjusting the idle is so easy that I do it while riding.

Uh...maybe that may have something to do with your running off the road and hitting three trees???? Grin

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/18/17 at 08:32:48

Haven't done that yet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #11 - 08/21/17 at 05:28:24

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 08/18/17 at 07:35:24:
I certainly an not an expert on this situation, but I have always opted for a higher-than-recommended idle speed setting.  Mainly because I want to be sure that the oil pump is pumping as much oil as possible to the upper end and none of the engine is starving for oil at idle.

I may be wrong but it was my understanding that 1000+ RPM was sufficient for oil to the top end.  So I only get worried when Idle drops below 1000.  I added a tach. so this is easily monitored.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 08/21/17 at 05:31:42

I think 1000 rpm is absolute minimum. I run mine nearer to 1400.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/21/17 at 06:06:45

1100+ rpm for idle
Set after engine is completely warm

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 08/21/17 at 07:16:12

Quimrider wrote on 08/16/17 at 06:43:22:
let's say I'm on the freeway going 75.  I slow down to 70 as I'm getting onto an exit ramp.  As I hit 70 I pull in the clutch to coast to the end of the exit ramp.  Engine hits idle at 65.  

Why in the wide world of sports would you pull in the clutch at 70 mph to coast to a slower speed? This is just a bad technique.

Oh, like others have said, an idle of 1,100 rpm is too low.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb tuning help.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.