Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: "Acting Up" piggy back (Read 103 times)
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Re: "Acting Up" piggy back
09/26/12 at 12:52:27

Ok I'm new to this forum and have found a lot of useful information so far.  I was actually going to start a post concerning this same issue today but I'll add my problem to this one and see what y'all have for me.

I have an '02 with a hair over 20k miles on it.  The only major modification I've done is take the SuperTrapp exhaust off of it and ad a 45* to kick the exhaust under my foot.  I haven't done any modifications to my carburetor or motor.  I've had the bike for two months and when I first got it I changed the air filter and about two weeks ago I had to replace the clutch cable during a poker run.  This past Saturday I decided to do an oil change and also changed the plug.  The old plug looked good, did not show any sign of running lean or rich.  Yesterday on the way to work the vacuum line that runs from the petcock to the right side of the carb came off the carb end so I replaced it and the bike ran fine the rest of the day.  Today on my way home it decided it didn't want to run at idle.  When I am in the throttle it will run fine with no skipping or missing but as soon as I let the throttle go it runs VERY choppy.  To get it to even idle I had to turn my idle screw all the way out on the carb.  I'm new to motorcycles and don't really know much about the inner workings of them.  I have a general knowledge motors and mechanics but I am baffled.  I checked what I know, from things that have happened already.  As far as I can tell there are no vacuum lines that have come off.  I just filled up yesterday so I know I have plenty of fuel in the tank.  Is there any advice that y'all can give me?

Newriverjunkie

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 09/26/12 at 13:42:28

Taking off the supertrapp will really lean it out.
which you've noticed as you got the pilot screw turned way out.
BTW more than 3 turns and you're in danger of it falling out on the road.

WWW   IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #2 - 09/26/12 at 15:33:25

The mixture screw is on the left hand side of the carb right?  I keep hearing that it is behind a brass plug and that seems to be the only place I've found a plug.  I should correct myself in that the Idle control screw is turned all the way in...not out.  Thank you for the help verslagen1!

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #3 - 09/26/12 at 15:50:37

If you are sitting on the bike, the mixture screw is on the right hand side.

You can see it in the top right hand corner of this picture.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/26/12 at 16:03:44

becareful how you turn that screw, very easy to jam it all the way in and not be able to get it out.  kind of an interference fit at the bottom.

If you got it turned all the way in, and it runs choppy(?), maybe you got it adjusted wrong, most people have a hard time adjusting this.

try 2 turns out, which is normal.  you otta read serowbots carb tuning in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #5 - 09/26/12 at 16:17:15

I have not messed with this screw yet.  The one that I screwed all the way in is the idle screw on the left side of the carb that controls how much throttle the bike gets at idle...I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/26/12 at 16:35:53

this all happened when you took the supertrapp off... put it back on and see if it goes away.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/26/12 at 16:51:00

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/26/12 at 17:21:09

Basic troubleshooting techniques dictate going back to square one,, its the only way to know where the problem is. Put the TRapp back on,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #9 - 09/26/12 at 17:51:26

Ok update.  In my haste to assume it was yet again something major I forgot the one thing that my dad always taught me, start simple.  So I went out and started tinkering with it and decided to take the fuel filter off and take a look at it.  Needless to say it was pretty nasty.  So I replaced it with a $3 lawn mower filter, since all the bike shops were closed I found the next best thing.  Just took it for a test run and it ran fine.  We shall see tomorrow after the 20 min ride to work.  I did take a look at Serowbot's carb tuning post and will definitely be using it in the near future because I have a feeling the thing hasn't been touched since factory.

Also as a back note.  I've had the Trapp off for about a month and a half now and haven't had any problems with it running until now but hopefully I've fixed it.  Will keep y'all updated.  Thanks for all the help, this is why I joined the forum!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 09/26/12 at 20:32:56

Recommend you keep an eye on that fuel filter.  If you had one clog up, the odds are good that you'll clog another in relatively short order.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:45:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: "Acting Up" piggy back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.