Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Back in the saddle again (Read 279 times)
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Re: Back in the saddle again
Reply #15 - 09/27/12 at 14:34:28

Welcome Doug!
 I have the factory service manual. Kinda pricey but no errors. I've never used the Clymer, so I can't compare the two.
 I did do the head torque as part of my initial 600 mile service. It was so painful, I couldn't believe it was part of every service! The feed back I got here was generally "not happening". I then went to my dealer and talked to the senior mechanic. They had to look it up to see if it was part of any service, and were completely surprised. Since they've been in business longer than the Savage has been in production, I think it's safe to say they've never done it!
 For myself, I don't plan on doing it again until the next time I have to go in there. Probably in a couple of years when I do the tensioner mod, which should be about the 25k miles mark.

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #16 - 10/01/12 at 16:54:22

For all of you who responded  -  thank you - your thoughts/experiences should prove to be very valuable - I will not be re-torquing the head - I have already ordered the Clymer manual thru my dealership - all comments/advice will be considered and much appreciated -  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/01/12 at 22:15:04

mnefred wrote on 09/27/12 at 14:34:28:
Welcome Doug!
 I have the factory service manual. Kinda pricey but no errors. I've never used the Clymer, so I can't compare the two.
 I did do the head torque as part of my initial 600 mile service. It was so painful, I couldn't believe it was part of every service! The feed back I got here was generally "not happening". I then went to my dealer and talked to the senior mechanic. They had to look it up to see if it was part of any service, and were completely surprised. Since they've been in business longer than the Savage has been in production, I think it's safe to say they've never done it!
 For myself, I don't plan on doing it again until the next time I have to go in there. Probably in a couple of years when I do the tensioner mod, which should be about the 25k miles mark.

Id leave it alone,period, forever.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 10/01/12 at 23:41:24

I'd redo the head torque any time I have to replace the cam chain or any other time I had a solid reason to take the head cover off the top of the head.

In other words, very very rarely and only as part of another tear down.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:47:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back in the saddle again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.