Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Back in the saddle again (Read 279 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Back in the saddle again
09/25/12 at 13:51:36

I'm a newbie and would like to say hello to all. I'm impressed with what I've seen in this forum. I last owned a bike in 1982(modified XT500), and purchased a brand new 2011 S40($3,999) on 8-21-12. I was surprised at how poorly it seemed to run when I first started it up at the dealership. Also surprising was the lack of spacing between 4th and 5th gear. I've already removed the brass plug and opened up the mixture screw. I will be making other carb changes(pilot, main, spacer), a better muffler, and Amsoil. It sure is fun to be riding again after a 30-year hiatus. I do have questions. Does the head really need to be retorqued ? Will a Clymer manual 1986-2007 work for my 2011 for everything ?  Is it worth getting a Suzuki manual, as well ?  Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/26/12 at 07:07:26 by Doug B »  
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Re: Back in the saddle again
Reply #1 - 09/25/12 at 13:56:18

Clymers should be the same, just make sure you know about the errors.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1119775997

I've never needed the Suzuki manual myself, but maybe someone who has it would be better qualified to answer that.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/25/12 at 15:10:46

If you brought it new you could be risking your factory warranty by making unauthorised modifications to the fuel/emission system. If you were able to remove the brass plug without damaging it, you should consider putting it back. If you had to damage it to get it out, see if you can dummy up an authentic looking one. I would also leave rejetting alone until you are out of warranty. They are basically a cheap bike and a sixth gear would only up the cost. $3999 US sounds very reasonable compared to what you pay in my country.

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 09/25/12 at 15:57:04

Congrats on the new bike! Ride safe.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
put the brass plug back ?
Reply #4 - 09/25/12 at 16:23:35

I put a screw in it and pulled it out with pliers(it's toast). The mixture screw was about 1.65 turns out CC. I gave it another 1/2 turn out - idle went up, twisting the throttle back resulted in a cleaner rev, and it added a little overall power(turning more out CC didn"t seem to help). It also reduced backfiring to a minimum(not as lean- still needs a little more). The only negative appears to be mileage(lost what seems to be 6-7 mpg). I'm not sure how your bike arrived to you(new from the factory or otherwise), but here in Kennewick,WA, this bike needed opening up to just run closer to normal.  Questioning

« Last Edit: 09/26/12 at 07:15:16 by Doug B »  
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 09/25/12 at 16:41:01

Welcome Doug! From another old scooter tramp that came back to the fold later in life........rock-on brother!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/25/12 at 17:18:57

ZAR wrote on 09/25/12 at 16:41:01:
Welcome Doug! .rock-on brother!

+1

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/25/12 at 19:12:06

Welcome to the community,  feels good to have two wheels between your legs again doesn't it?  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Great site
Reply #8 - 09/25/12 at 19:18:35

I hope I didn"t appear rude-not my intent   things that I mentioned(screw-pull out brass plug-adjust mixture screw   main/pilot/spacer  muffler   oil with enough ZDDP   I got from this site   I worked at an engine shop from 1987-92   haven't turned many wrenches in 2 decades   I'm ready again   some of the posts I've read are great   there seems to be many ingenious  minds at work   Verslagen 1 - Oldfeller - LANCER - Sluggo(fellow Eastern- Washingtonian) to name a few     I also want to get the Verslagen modified tensioner unit   I have 1100 miles on the bike and am looking forward to thousands more  

« Last Edit: 09/26/12 at 07:23:09 by Doug B »  
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/25/12 at 19:57:49

Welcome to the forum, Doug.
You'll find a wealth of information here
shared by a lot of great people !

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 09/25/12 at 21:09:36

Awesome for you, dude!  Great group of folks here, and great little bikes!

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #11 - 09/25/12 at 21:11:33

Welcome back, I don't think anyone retorques the head almost 12.000 miles on mine and I sure havn't. My 09 also bought new has always run great. This is the last great classic motorcyle enjoy.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/25/12 at 21:15:38

I only suggested putting the plug back in case you have to make a warranty claim. If they see something that looks brass they probably won't argue and you idle mod is safe.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 09/26/12 at 20:18:31

Doug B wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:51:36:
....Does the head really need to be retorqued ?....

I re-torque the head bolts on mine (see signature block) about every 4200 miles or so....but I think I'm about the only swingin' d1ck around here that does....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/26/12 at 21:30:36

Mine has 20,000 on it,, never did it.. was gonna, at 15,000 when I did the cam,, but got all wound up messin w/ the cam & chain & all that & uhh,, ahh fergot,, dooohhh,, Im glad, didnt hafta wrangle w/ that danged plug,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back in the saddle again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.