Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thrush glasspack install (Read 153 times)
javajunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Topeka, KS
Thrush glasspack install
09/22/12 at 22:52:41

I'm wanting to install a Thrush glasspack muffler, part number 24210 onto my 97... Any tips you guys or girls can give me would be appreciated greatly!

IMAG0089.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thrush glasspack install
Reply #1 - 09/22/12 at 23:00:35

IIRC, someone did that coupla years ago. It wont be red for long.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
javajunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Topeka, KS
Reply #2 - 09/22/12 at 23:22:41

Nope  Smiley

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/22/12 at 23:48:00

I was contemplating getting this exhaust for my new s40, please be sure to update when you get it installed and can let us know how it sounds.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 09/23/12 at 06:54:46

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 09/23/12 at 07:10:48

javajunkie wrote on 09/22/12 at 22:52:41:
I'm wanting to install a Thrush glasspack muffler, part number 24210 onto my 97... Any tips you guys or girls can give me would be appreciated greatly!

Like JOG says, it won't be red for long.  It'll turn different shades of burnt brown to faded red after a 100 miles or so.

Here's a suggestion.  
-- When you first get it, install it on the bike exactly the way you want it.  Use whatever clamps or other devices you'll use for the final installation.  This'll make sure any scratches, or grooves, or cutting, or bending, whatever, will be done BEFORE you paint it.
-- Take it off the bike.
-- Sandblast the thing (and any other bracketry, etc., you want painted) so you get it down to a matte surface of pure metal,... no paint, no primer, no manufacturing residue, no coatings,....nada,... just the plain mild steel.  
-- Don't touch it with your greasy biker fingers.  The idea is to keep the surface white-room clean, with no substances on the surface at all.  Just the plain steel.
-- Wrap it in a clean t-shirt or something for handling until you get it painted.
-- Hang it up on a coat hanger, whatever, outside where you can give it a few coats of paint without ever having to touch it.
-- Blow it off with compressed air to get the dust, t-shirt residue, flypoop, etc., off of it.
-- Give it three medium coats of Duplicolor Hi-Heat paint,.. letting it dry completely between each coat IAW the instructions.  Looks like charcoal would be a good color for your bike.
-- Let it dry for a day.
-- Put it in the oven for an hour or so at 250 degrees.  It'll be stinky, but it won't do anything to the inside of the oven.
-- Install it as before, being careful to not scratch it.  There are no rattle can hi-heat paints that are tough like powder coating.

This procedure is one I arrived at after many many attempts at finding ways to keep some sort of a protective coating on the exhaust systems on the motors on my gyrocopters,... which get orange-hot during climbout.  Dupli-color hi-heat paint (go figure!) is the only one that would last more than 10 or 20 hours.

« Last Edit: 09/23/12 at 12:36:32 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
javajunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Topeka, KS
Reply #6 - 10/14/12 at 03:50:34

I used the high temp ceramic based engine paint on it and it looks SWEET (for now anyway lol) and to attach it to the header, I used exhaust putty...Now I just need to get the darn thing started!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 10/14/12 at 06:11:02

The exhaust putty will last for more than an hour.  maybe.

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 05:31:20 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thrush glasspack install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.