Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help please choosing exhaust (Read 564 times)
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help please choosing exhaust
Reply #15 - 09/24/12 at 22:13:51

I'm trying to decide between the Jardine and the Dyna  or drilling my stock exhaust. I want my bike loud but not unable to hear anything else loud. The issue is that I also want a lower pitch too and I've heard the Jardine doesn't do that too well.

I have searched but haven't really found a great comparison between the too. what is the difference in pitch and loudness between the two and the stock muffler.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/25/12 at 02:17:18

Jardine, $$$, Dyna, cheap. TRy it, you mite like it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 09/25/12 at 07:23:18

Well, I'd drill your stock exhaust first since that's essentially free.  Wink  If you don't like it, no harm done.  (You may have to adjust the fuel/air mix...check the tech section for a great post on that.)  I drilled mine (4 holes 1/2" diameter), and it was a little louder and a little deeper....didn't sound like I was riding a sewing machine anymore.  Grin  However, because of the internal baffles, the stock exhaust drilled has this VW Beetle-ish "ping" to the exhaust note, which I didn't like.

If you want to hear what it sounds like with nothing, take the header pipe loose and rev it a few times.  Now that's LOUD.  Quite surprisingly obnoxiously loud.  I'd say the stock exhaust cuts out 90% of the sound...stock exhaust mod maybe cuts 70-80% of the volume...the Jardine prob only cuts maybe 30-40% of the volume (it's loud, but not as loud as no pipe at all).  The Jardine tone is very *percussive*...that's the best word I can think of to describe it. You can definitely hear it's echoes when you go under an overpass, for instance.

I don't know about the Dyna's, but lots of folks really seem to really like them.

Dave

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/25/12 at 07:47:10

Well I guess this weekend I'll drill it then and fiind out if I like it.

IP Logged
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/25/12 at 18:58:22

So I know this is probably in the tech section but since everyones talking about exhausts, what is the diameter on the stock exhaust?

would this be a good fit?   http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Shorty-Universal-Motorcycle-Muffler/dp/B003NQAJPY/...

Anyone have any experience with emgo?  the price looks right  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 09/26/12 at 10:32:01

tonewheelmonster wrote on 09/25/12 at 18:58:22:
So I know this is probably in the tech section but since everyones talking about exhausts, what is the diameter on the stock exhaust?

would this be a good fit?   http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Shorty-Universal-Motorcycle-Muffler/dp/B003NQAJPY/...

I just happened to measure the stock exhaust last night.  The end of my header is slightly egg shaped.......probably not unusual.  The diameter measured a minimum of 1.665" and a maximum of 1.692".  The closest fractional equivalent I would guess would be 1-11/16".....which calculates to 1.6875".

I bet that Emgo is going to be really loud!  Their megaphone shaped muffler are 5" longer and loud.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 09/26/12 at 13:48:07

I've been very happy with my MAC muffler.  It appears they've added a slash-cut variety since I bought mine.  At that time, they only had the taper tip for the LS650.

http://www.macperformance.com/Savage-650_c160.htm

However, as pointed out already, the Dyna is definitely less expensive.  It's also a bit quieter/mellower than the MAC, though only a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
Reply #22 - 09/26/12 at 14:07:22

I started off drilling holes in the stocker. Didn't care for the sound at all. Check around on ebay. I picked up a harley dyna muffler for $20 there. It was in great shape, sounds real good and was an easy install. Good luck on your tone quest.

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/26/12 at 21:10:31

Savage_Rob wrote on 09/26/12 at 13:48:07:
I've been very happy with my MAC muffler.  It appears they've added a slash-cut variety since I bought mine.  At that time, they only had the taper tip for the LS650.

However, as pointed out already, the Dyna is definitely less expensive.  It's also a bit quieter/mellower than the MAC, though only a bit.

How does this one sound pitch and volume wise?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 09/26/12 at 21:38:26

IMO, the stock unit is just plain ugly. It is not my opinion that its heavy, thats a fact. The Dyna is a nice lookin muffler, sounds good, IIRC its about 4 pounds liter. It fits the bike. These arent big honkin heavy bikes, why put a chrome trash can on it & call it a muffler?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #25 - 09/27/12 at 12:21:22

tonewheelmonster wrote on 09/25/12 at 18:58:22:

I bet it is rediculously loud and lawnmowery, and probably sounds like an obnoxious 4 stroke quad.

I just had this one installed on my bike.

It looks great, It is much louder at idle, and taking off, and enough to annoy people in town. When you take an exit ramp off the highway that's where this thing really sounds cool.
I don't know if it is any deeper than stock sound, probably about the same tone, but just way more obnoxious, but definately not the most obnoxious I have heard. It is about 28 inches long and comes out just past my back brake arm.
So based off that I would imagine not only would anything smaller be way more rediculously obnoxious, but also pretty harsh on your own ears being it will be closer to them because it is physically smaller. Mine is also muffled some to my own ears by saddle bags.

Come to think of it, tone wise it sort of sounds like an old 12hp riding mower I had with a rotted muffler. It is definately louder though, and slightly more refined, but not much.

By the way anything other than stock is going to require a pice inbetween the end of the headpipe and the muffler or modifiying the headpipe to get a decent angle, so it is not a matter of does the muffler fit the headpipe.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #26 - 09/27/12 at 12:53:38

Jeff Jopling wrote on 09/26/12 at 21:10:31:
Savage_Rob wrote on 09/26/12 at 13:48:07:

How does this one sound pitch and volume wise?

It's listed in the Savage Sounds (mufflers) thread in the Tech Ref forum.  In fact, that recording is my Savage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 09/27/12 at 13:46:03

Steer clear of Emgo mufflers if you actually like chrome. They are plated in the softest grade you can find, and don't have a proper copper - nickel- chrome job. They scratch, they rust, they rot out. If you like the style but could not care less about the chrome, buy one and paint it with bbq paint. The set up on mine is at least 12 years old and has not rusted through yet. The stock muffler was rotted out in 6 months (replaced under warranty the first time, with aftermarket stuff the second time). Tone will change pretty quickly, the packing is way yonder the wrong side of low quality.

Buy a MAC or an HD Dyna take off. Cheaper in the long run, they'll outlast a low end import unit by several years.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #28 - 09/28/12 at 08:51:35

WD wrote on 09/27/12 at 13:46:03:
Steer clear of Emgo mufflers if you actually like chrome.

Do you know of anyone who makes this style muffler in better quality? I just really dig the long skinny reverse cone look.

Here's what mine looks like if anyone wanted to see.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348846965

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 09/28/12 at 09:59:01

grungeant wrote on 09/28/12 at 08:51:35:
WD wrote on 09/27/12 at 13:46:03:
Steer clear of Emgo mufflers if you actually like chrome.

Do you know of anyone who makes this style muffler in better quality? I just really dig the long skinny reverse cone look.

Here's what mine looks like if anyone wanted to see.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348846965

Well.....If I had a bunch of money.......It sure would be cool to get one of these made.  I am guessing they would be loud as they use stainless millings they call "scrubble" as the packing......but it sure would be pretty if you had it buffed to a stainless shine.
http://www.burnsstainless.com/megaphone-muffler.aspx

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help please choosing exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.