Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
07 S40 toolkit? (Read 159 times)
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

07 S40 toolkit?
10/04/12 at 17:45:44

So I've seen a toolkit thread before but I couldnt locate it in search.

I have the original toolkit and it looks to have everything but it contains something that I have no clue what it is. Below is a picture

What is the Brass thing at the top? it compresses like the narrow end pushes into the larger side but I have absolutely no clue what this is. Is it part of the original kit? Is it a part off the bike?

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 07 S40 toolkit?
Reply #1 - 10/04/12 at 17:53:36

That's for tuning yer' throttle spring...  should be F#minor... Huh...

(just kidding,.. it's belt tension gauge, and it's useless)...
... I'm thinking of mounting it on my bike, just to make people wonder what it does... looks very steampunk... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/04/12 at 17:57:31

haha thats funny considering I'm a musician.

but seriously how does it work and what is its purpose suppose to be?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/04/12 at 18:04:36

See,.. I tell the truth, and you still don't believe me... Huh...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1253620544

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 10/04/12 at 18:06:10

It is indeed the belt tension gauge. The Owner's Manual explains how to use it to set the drive belt tension. If you examine it you will note that there are three lines engraved in the spring plunger. There is a tab inside the left-side swingarm, in which is a hole. The pin on the end of the gauge is inserted into the hole, and the other end placed inside the drive belt as nearly "square" as you can manage. If the middle of the three engraved lines is even with the body of the gauge, the belt is, according to Suzuki, properly tensioned. This is to be checked with the bike on the sidestand and in Neutral. Many on the Forum feel this sets the belt too tight, resulting in the belt squeaking. I offer no opinion either way, except to point out that Suzuki's engineers are not fools; they designed the bike; and they spec'ed the belt.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/04/12 at 18:14:41

It's purpose is to help you guage the correct tension on your drive belt. You plaxce the motorcycle on the side stand and ensure it's unloaded. The guage is set with the round end on a belt tooth and the flat end against a locating tab on the frame?, it should be at right angles to the drive belt, you then check if the lower end of the guage body is in the range between the upper and lower line marked on the guage plunger. If the lower end of the guage body is outside the range, the belt needs adjusting. At least that's what the handbook says. I brought a new bike and never got a guage. I wonder why?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 10/05/12 at 08:03:59

Yes, it is the belt tension gauge.  Check your owners manual on how to adjust the belt.

It is pretty much useless for a stock LS650 or S40, but it is simply non-applicable to RYCA CS-1 conversions.

Here's the procedure I use on a CS-1.  

----------------------------------------------------------------
RYCA CS-1 belt adjustment procedure

This procedure will adjust for the max tire/swingarm clearance without overtightening the belt, which is an important issue when the RYCA modified swingarms are used with larger diameter (4.00 - 18) tires.

1. Chock the front wheel and get the rear wheel into the air using a jack or some other support for the frame.
2. Undo the tops of the shocks, and tilt them out of the way.
3. Lower the bike carefully so the tire contacts the floor.  Adjust it so the distance between the centers of the shock mounting points is 11 inches (or whatever the distance is for max compression of your shocks, if you didn't use standard RYCA shocks which move from 11 to 13 inches).
4. Loosen the axle just enough so you can move it fore and aft using the belt adjuster bolts.  If you loosen it too much, when retightened, the swingarm gets a tiny bit longer, making the belt tighter.
5.  Allow the axle to move forward a little (~ 1/16") to a loose belt position.  The final movement of the axle should be from a forward position moving aft using the belt adjuster bolts.
6. Adjust the axle so the belt is moderately tight.  
  -- The belt should be just tight enough to permit twisting it 45 degrees.
  -- Make sure the pulley is aligned with the belt by placing a straight-edge along side the pulley to verify it is parallel with the edge of the belt.  The little adjustment marks on the outside rear of the swingarm are not very precise.
7. Tighten the axle back up and, with the shock mounting points still at 11 inches, recheck the belt tightness.  It should be fairly tight (45 degree twist), but not rigid.
8. Without turning the belt adjuster bolts, tighten the belt adjuster nuts.
9. Check the clearance of the tire and swingarm.  There should be at least 1/8" between the tire and the swingarm, and the tire sidewalls should be about the same distance from the inner surfaces of the swingarm.  This is not a very precise item.
10. Jack the bike up so the distance between the shock mounting points is 13 inches (or whatever the distance is for max extension of your shocks).
11. Re-install the shocks.
12. Lower the bike (the belt will seem fairly loose) and ride away.
13. After the first ride, recheck the adjustment to make sure nothing moved.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 10/05/12 at 08:11:46

The belt tension gauge is VERY important...

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 10/05/12 at 11:33:19

My kit was missing the tension gauge when I bought it used. Where can I find one?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 10/05/12 at 12:36:13

Built2Last wrote on 10/05/12 at 08:11:46:
The belt tension gauge is VERY important...

Proper belt tension is very important.  The belt tension gauge is not very precise.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 10/05/12 at 12:38:41

Coaxial wrote on 10/05/12 at 11:33:19:
My kit was missing the tension gauge when I bought it used. Where can I find one?

You can buy one from the dealer for probably $50.

or,

pretty soon I am going to sell all the parts left over from building two RYCA bikes.  Since the belt tension gauge is not applicable to a RYCA conversion,.. I'll probably sell it.  

$49

jk

Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/05/12 at 18:25:28

Gyrobob wrote on 10/05/12 at 12:38:41:
I'll probably sell it.  
$49

jk
Grin[/size]

Whadda' guy... Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 07 S40 toolkit?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.