Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another noob, just bought first bike (Read 136 times)
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

another noob, just bought first bike
09/18/12 at 13:47:27

Hi all,  found this forum and it seems like a great place to learn.
I just purchased a 2005 s40 with 2500 miles for $1700.  This is my first bike ever and i'm still learning the basics.  I was hoping to be able to do basic maintenance and such myself, even though i'm not all that mechanical, and I was wondering if anyone had a list of tools to cover the basics.

things i'd like to do:
change the oil
adjust the carb
maybe change to the raptor petcock (still learning about that)
and anything else that ya'll might suggest.

Thanks

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: another noob, just bought first bike
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 15:56:53

If still have the handbook, familiarise yourself with the oil level checking proceedure before doing anything else. There is an excellent video tutorial on changing to the Raptor 666 petcock somewhere in  the tech section. There are endless carburettor tuning/adjusting forums and endless debate on what oil to use. The current favourite appearas to be a Shell Rotella diesel synthetic. This forum has good advice on crosshead screwdriver tips and the neccessity for an offset 10mm ring spanner if you want to do your own tappets. Photo and possibly video walk throughs and tutorials are avadable. The Clymer workshop manual has apparent errors which are documented on this site.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 15:58:27

And if it's your first bike ever, be sure to take an approved professional riding course.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/18/12 at 16:23:26

Congrats on the bike!   Welcome to the community, get the Clymer's manual, take the MSF beginners if you're new to motorcycling and have a good time   Wink

Working on your own bike is the best way to get familiar and comfortable with it, just take things one step at a time   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 20:05:43

Thanks, I've been riding around the block in my buddies neighborhood just trying to get used to the weight.  I plan on taking the course in the next month or so.

I was just trying to change the oil tonight and I was having a hard time with the oil drain bolt.  I'm guessing you can't use a socket wrench with it as the bolt seems too close to the frame.  it also seems like the bike needs to be lifted to get enough clearance to fit a drain pan.  How do you guys do it?

also, the guy I bought it from says he uses some kind of synthetic 20/50.  does that sound right?   I don't have the original manual.  is there a downloadable one somewhere?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/18/12 at 20:13:11

Cake pan, end wrench, The drain plug is not more than a foot long,, I wrapped a string around it to make it spin out faster,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tonewheelmonster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/18/12 at 20:21:45

yeah I just found the table of contents in the tech docs section.  i'll be over there for a while lol

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/18/12 at 21:20:16

There is a downloadable version of Clymer for about $12US. Google Suzuki S40 workshop manual. I don't know if it's a pirate version.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 09/19/12 at 12:47:13

I found it for free on torrentz I believe.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:33:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another noob, just bought first bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.