Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oh no - not another goddarn bobber project (Read 460 times)
Yakuza Bob
Ex Member

Oh no - not another goddarn bobber project
09/18/12 at 13:05:10

...Sorry but it is Wink

This is my second LS650. I had my first one exactly 20 years ago. But 2nd time around this little scooter has become a quite expensive acquaintance.

Anyhow, the end result is not too bad I suppose. Here is a brief walkthrough for anyone interested:

Pic 1: Before Bobberfication.

As you'll notice a pretty standard bike. Y2k model bought a couple of month ago with very few miles on it. Non-standard exhaust, awful handlebar, saddlebags (!) and extra headlights. Color definitely not to my taste. The extra headlights had actually burned the entire wiring harness due to wrong connections. Cost me a fortune to have that replaced and the fault located.   Angry

1_003.jpg
  IP Logged
Yakuza Bob
Ex Member

Re: Oh no - not another goddarn bobber project
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 13:11:30

Pic 2: A few special made steel braided cables for good looks and the additional wires run inside Ape Hanger

Notice that the width of the Ape matches the with of the tripple tree. Took me ages to find the right handlebar for that effect.

Nicer footpegs, but no forward controls (I dont think it would do any good to the overall design I was striving at)

3_002.jpg
  IP Logged
Yakuza Bob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 13:17:31

Pic 3: Closer look at footpegs plus some of the exhaust stuff from the Blue Collar kit. Side mounted license plate (big ugly european size) and side mounted bag for beers.

4_003.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/18/12 at 13:19:20

Please tell me you're not bobberifying this gorgeous little bike ...
Tell me where it it and I'll be over there licking it ... so nice ...

BTW let this be an example to all of you ...

Building a bobber makes you insane -

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/3268210110.html

Yea moron, totally worth 6g ...

How to delude yourself a 600 buck stock bike is worth 6g ... yea hack it into 30 pieces, wend up random bars and pipe and paint it and call it bobber ... Its the process that is worth the 6g ... process is everything the super duper Corporate executive said, right before he was arrested for securities fraud.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yakuza Bob
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 13:21:24

Pic 4: Entire bike painted in jet black. Oh yeah, the paint job included the ugly plastic housing on the gas tank, just to give it a more integrated look.

5.jpg  

5.jpg
  IP Logged
Yakuza Bob
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/18/12 at 13:28:47

And here we go.

Pic 5: The finished result (paint job, Blue Collar fender/seat/light/exhaust kit, Narrow 14" ape and stuff). Rejetted, carb adjustment and and other small stuff. Makes it feel and sound like a beast compared to the motor characteristics before.

Perhaps not entirely radical. But that mostly has to do with the law in my part of the world - here cops love to pull over any customized bike and have the license plates removed... I feel no need to push my luck any further than what I’ve done as of now with the scooter.

Enjoy & thanks for watching!
BikeMike

2_001.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 09/18/12 at 14:51:34

I like it. I had fork gaiters on mine but the sun ate them after a few years.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #7 - 09/18/12 at 15:05:43

I like it also.  Where do you live that makes you have that large license plate?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 09/18/12 at 15:21:59

Is the bag mounted to the swingarm? Any heat issues?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/18/12 at 15:48:00

Lots of the bobber people, and I'm not one, seem to mount their licence plates vertically, yours would catch a lot of wind.

IP Logged
Yakuza Bob
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/19/12 at 03:05:36

Thanks guys!

@srinath Actually I think that XS is a very nice build. And 6k... well in my heavily taxed part of the world that is not much. It is actually close to the average price of a used 10-15 year old LS650!  Shocked

@WD Sun is not a problem here, but the lack of it is. Here we have sunny and warm weather approx 2-3 month/year.

@Johnny57 Even for Europe we have the most monstrous license plates

@Greg Yep, definitely to warm for beers, but other accessories will do fine.

@J C Stokes It probably do catch some wind, but that's nothing compared to the amount my body catch driving with ape hangers.  Grin Vertical mounting is not an option here. Would make the cops pull me over constantly.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/19/12 at 03:27:14

Sadly you seem to have a MOPP, Ministry of Petty Prosecutions, just as we do in New Zealand.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 09/19/12 at 08:25:41

BikeMike wrote on 09/19/12 at 03:05:36:
Thanks guys!

@srinath Actually I think that XS is a very nice build. And 6k... well in my heavily taxed part of the world that is not much. It is actually close to the average price of a used 10-15 year old LS650!  Shocked

In Winston salem - stock xs's sell for between 600 and 700, stock savage with 10k goes for 1500 or so ... and @ 6k for that is outrageous. Plenty of those @ under 2 and they dont sell either.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/19/12 at 09:21:08

Looking good Yakuza, I really like the way the console looks painted  Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 09/19/12 at 10:10:43

I dunno, I would say its a great paint job and yea the console too ... in fact that is spectacular. I also like the ceat cover ... however that whole back end I cant say it looks right to me at all ...

First off that side fit licence plate just screams "I built a bike spending 1000's of hours in labor and forgot about a licence plate ... lets see, OK I'll slap it on here ..."

The rear fender held up by those thin lengths of flat bar - well almost the same thing. Strutting the back end and springering the seat is OK and I am torn on the looks but your seat is gorgeous so I'd call it good. I'd have cantilever fitted some braces off the frame, slapped the fender as a floater on it and fit the licence plate and tail light on that.

Hey you need to do what you find looks right.

I in fact like leaving the stock paint on complete with the decals and stickers and emblems ... as in ... yea suzuki made this ... they wish.

If I am modding a 20 year old bike ... I want it to look 20 ... but like it rolled off the factory 20 years ago. IMHO shiny paint covers up a lot of crappy design, I dont need that. Just IMHO.

Sheesh ... I seem to be stirring more trouble up on the general forum with my opinion on bikes than in the politics forum with my opinion of politics.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:29:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh no - not another goddarn bobber project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.